Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport (Feb 2012 - Jan 2014)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Are Sligo and Galway not closed to commercial flights since last year, and are now basically flying clubs ?
    That’s why I wrote “are/were” and I presume they are just “mothballed” due to the austerity measures in place. Their infrastructure remains intact.
    Regarding German flights, i earlier omitted the Kerry - Frankfurt route. So that is routes to Munich, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt all currently available along the west coast.
    Actually it’s really a place called Hahn, situated way out in the countryside and is 125 Km away from the city of Frankfurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

Another new route and a new airline also for Shannon.

Flybe are starting flights from Shannon to Glasgow on the 01 May.

Great news!

http://www.aviator.aero/press_releases/10066?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I'm curious to read his appraisal of Shannon Airport and the Shannon Development Region in that context.
    I don’t think he deals with Shannon Airport at all. I’m not sure that anyone has really set out a meaningful account of the Airport that deals with the full context. I just mention Preventing the Future as one of the very few systematic accounts exploring the political aspiration that dominated the independent Irish State; to create a rural Catholic Irish-speaking country.
    If you are to throw in catch phrases like “special concessions” or “stopover regime” then we need to discuss the thinking behind them in more detail.
    A tax concession is a tax concession. Its just an appropriate term, not a catch-phrase. Similarly, “regime” is simply a term that describes the kind of arrangement that created an obligation on aircraft to land at Shannon . It doesn’t imply there’s a Latin American General involved.
    However you can't then turn around and make a case against competition between SAA and DAA on the German routes.
    I’m not especially making any such case; I’m simply observing that I’ve no enthusiasm for such an approach, as it involves no national gain. I’m not at all suggesting that there should be some rule that prevents people choosing their preferred point of arrival and departure.
    It’s quite legitimate now for Shannon to target those particular customers from its region who use Dublin airport.
    Totally legitimate – just uninspiring, from a national perspective. A Shannon strategy that envisaged competition with some region of France or Spain or whatever, would be inspiring.

Although, again, I’d guess it just spin to frame it in terms of Dublin passengers. Judging from the papers, people in Knock see it differently.

I don’t think he deals with Shannon Airport at all. I’m not sure that anyone has really set out a meaningful account of the Airport that deals with the full context. I just mention Preventing the Future as one of the very few systematic accounts exploring the political aspiration that dominated the independent Irish State; to create a rural Catholic Irish-speaking country.
    So the book you quoted "preventing the future" by Tom Garvin has no relevance to those economic policies initiated by Sean Lemass surrounding Shannon airport?
    Totally legitimate – just uninspiring, from a national perspective. A Shannon strategy that envisaged competition with some region of France or Spain or whatever, would be inspiring.
    Could you suggest any practical, inspiring strategies yourself, as to what Shannon Airport could do to compete with some French / Spanish region?

Speaking of France, I would love to see some collaboration with Airbus - Toulose, it would a great advertisement for the airport’s aviation sector if they used Shannon as a training base for the A380, similar to the Concorde programme of the past.

5459290931_ba64584a89_z.jpg

Airbus A380 landing in Shannon 2006 (Image Adrian Kissane)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great news!

http://www.aviator.aero/press_releases/10066?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Great news but I'm not too sure about using a Dash 400 for such a trip. Maybe they'll put one of their jets on the route?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

So the book you quoted "preventing the future" by Tom Garvin has no relevance to those economic policies initiated by Sean Lemass surrounding Shannon airport?
    Ah, now, that's not what I said, and I suspect you know that. I'm suggesting that the full Shannon story needs to be located in a wider context; otherwise, the promotion of the airport beyond all sense seems inexplicable. It becomes a little more explicable in the light of something like Fianna Fail's "core values", which included
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/content/pages/eamon-de-valera

to promote the ruralisation of industries essential to the lives of the people as opposed to their concentration in cities.
    Those core values were only updated in 1995, despite the utter failure of the vision of which they were part being evident by the 1950s.

All that's just context; as I said, I don't think anyone has set down an account that puts Shannon Airport's story in a proper context.
    Could you suggest any practical, inspiring strategies yourself, as to what Shannon Airport could do to compete with some French / Spanish region?
    I've already mentioned that surfing camp idea, that Portugal does a lot of. But who better to know the strengths of the region than the people living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Great news!

Excellent news!! Will be definitely making use of this! Hopefully Aer Lingus will sit up and take notice - priced return flights for two from Shannon to Edinburgh the other night €400 - same dates / details from Dublin came in at €200.

Just priced flights with flybe for weekend for 2 and came in at just under €200 - happy days:D

Shannon Airport has welcomed the early launch of Aer Lingus’ US schedule for the summer season as a vote of confidence in the demand for transatlantic services at Shannon.

Flights will operate from Shannon to Boston four times weekly and to New York three times weekly.

Shannon Airport will see its transatlantic capacity increase by 25% this summer.

Limerick Leader

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

5459290931_ba64584a89_z.jpg

Airbus A380 landing in Shannon 2006 (Image Adrian Kissane)

Thats not an a380

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Melion wrote: »
    Thats not an a380

Yes it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Melion wrote: »
    Thats not an a380

That was during the testing phase years ago, I worked near the fence with some major "plane spotters", it was an a380 alright

Clareman wrote: »
    . . . . I worked near the fence with some major "plane spotters" . . . .
    It must have been an impressive sight to see it land, as it completely dwarfs the Ryanair plane in size!

(Image Kaitlin Pike)

556ebaaf69da22a77790f27d78f78801.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It must have been an impressive sight to see it land, as it completely dwarfs the Ryanair plane in size!

It was amazing alright, I thought it was extremely loud as well, but a lot of people were saying the Concorde was a lot louder when that used to be around a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It was amazing alright, I thought it was extremely loud as well, but a lot of people were saying the Concorde was a lot louder when that used to be around a lot

Ah, I used to love when Concorde came to Shannon.

It flew over my house once in Limerick and the noise was deafening! :D

Ah, I used to love when Concorde came to Shannon.

It flew over my house once in Limerick and the noise was deafening! :D

My sister went to school in Caherchon (sp.) and it seemed to be right on the flight plan for the training, they used to have to pause classes when it passed over head cause they weren't able to hear the teacher, I think a window broke as well during 1 pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

I remember the first day the Concorde landed in Shannon, prob 70/71 ? The observation area in the old building was open and the terrace was jammed packed. No security concerns in those days !. I was only 10/11 but still remember the long trail of dark smoke as it came in followed by the noise. Awful pity it's gone.

The old observation deck was amazing. I remember being at the airport in 1992 for the Air Spectacular, sitting just next to the run way watching all the planes do their thing, amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My sister went to school in Caherchon (sp.) and it seemed to be right on the flight plan for the training, they used to have to pause classes when it passed over head cause they weren't able to hear the teacher, I think a window broke as well during 1 pass.

Oh god the ROAR from that thing! It used to fly over our house in the 'mills (mid 1980s) as well, deafening it was! I'm amazed the windows withstood it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Oh god the ROAR from that thing! It used to fly over our house in the 'mills (mid 1980s) as well, deafening it was! I'm amazed the windows withstood it! :D

+1

A huge annoyance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Four new members have recently been appointed to the board of The Shannon Airport Authority.

The new appointments are: USA based public policy consultant and transport expert Kathryn O’Leary Higgins, Managing Director of Clare FM and Tipp FM radio stations Liam O’Shea and Shannon Airport worker- directors Joe Buckley (Cargo & Technical Traffic Development Manager) and Kevin McCarthy (Airport Police Fire Officer).

For more info on these appointments, see:
    http://www.shannonairport.com/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/13-03-07/Shannon_Airport_appoints_four_new_board_directors.aspx

Two incidents at Dublin Airport in the last 10 days saw a number of flights been diverted to Shannon.

Five aircraft were diverted on the 7th as the airport closed for twenty minutes or so after a minor crash. Two Aer Lingus flights from Chicago and Heathrow, and three Ryanair jets travelling from Edinburgh, Manchester and Birmingham.

Then on Thursday a Garda Helicopter chased bank robbers near Dublin Airport with the result all incoming flights were ordered to go into a "holding pattern" - circling outside the designated zone- while three passenger planes diverted to Shannon Airport on the west coast to refuel.

They included two Dublin-bound Aer Lingus services, one from London Gatwick, with 146 travellers on board, and a flight from Brussels, which had 137 people on board. A Ryanair flight from Las Palmas also diverted to Shannon. After refuelling they returned to Dublin, about an hour and a half behind schedule.

Another three Aer Lingus passenger flights - from Heathrow, Paris and Dusseldorf - were forced to remain in the skies for a further 20 minutes before they could safely attempt landing.

Some could argue that this is welcome business for Shannon Airport but it still has a yearly bill of €2 million costs to justify its status as a Common Diversion Airport.

It is interesting to note that cost killer champion Ryanair diverted four aircraft in total to Shannon for refuelling rather than keeping them in a "holding pattern" over Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

Great news! Great to see the Shannon - Alicante route back.

Aglomerado wrote: »

The quality isn't great but it might interest some of you. (Video by Speedbird7101)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I've lived in Clare all my life and I never saw the Concorde :(

I suppose I wasnt interested, but Id love to see (and hear) it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Chucken wrote: »
    I've lived in Clare all my life and I never saw the Concorde :(

I suppose I wasnt interested, but Id love to see (and hear) it now!

We lived in Roslevan in Ennis, and seemed to be under its flight path. I reckon I was just starting school around that time, but I remember the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ixpgewOnCA0

Excellent idea and a lovely way to greet American visitors to Ireland!

At 6 in the morning, that's a lively céad míle fáilte! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

US airways are to extend their Shannon-Philadelphia daily service by an additional month. The seasonal route was supposed to end at the beginning of September but will now run until October [It kicks off at the end of May].

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement