Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring-Summer Sligo Surf quality/consistency?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,
    I've been surfing in Sligo through the fall and winter, mostly at the reefs and point breaks, mostly West through to South Donegal. I surfed in southern California for 15 years before moving here and I have to say the Sligo area blows most places I've ever surfed in the Pacific out of the water, and comes close to matching Hawaii for number of overhead days and wave quality.

I avoid the beach breaks generally as the quality of the reefs is so much better. I was really impressed with the surf consistency and quality in Sligo once I found what spots that worked on different swell and wind directions.

How is the consistency of the swell and the wind direction in spring and summer for these areas (Easkey versus Bundoran areas)? Ive found places to handle everything from a minimum 6ft, 10second W or NW swell, and places which can take every wind direction from due west to South to due north wind, as long as there is no NW in it. I need to move soon and am trying to consider where to base myself.

Any comparison on how the wind/swell trends during these months compared to fall/winter would be deeply appreciated.

If conversely anyone has any questions about surfing in southern california for a planned summer trip let me know.

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

Seems to me you know the area pretty well, the only difference in summer is the lack of swell! Between May-August you generally need to be able to drop everything & jump in when a pulse comes as decent days don't come very often then. That said we can get lucky here, and I've had plenty of cracking days in summer. Best bit about summer is you can easily get two surfs in in a day when the tides are right & its pumping! But for sure fall/winter is the best time for Ireland.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea swell can be borderline non-existent in the summer, but when it does come the long daylight hours mean you can make the most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I'm guessing its not the crowds that was the reason you left Cali....
    Hi there,
    I've been surfing in Sligo through the fall and winter, mostly at the reefs and point breaks, mostly West through to South Donegal. I surfed in southern California for 15 years before moving here and I have to say the Sligo area blows most places I've ever surfed in the Pacific out of the water, and comes close to matching Hawaii for number of overhead days and wave quality.

Fixed your post for you!!

Summer usually means more Southerly/South Westerly swells less intense than NW's.
    Often better as you go further North in Donegal Bay asyou'll have a greater chance.
    There'll often be a few weeks of drought midsummer but having said that there'll still be occasional great days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Buy a long board

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PHotoNrd

Hi all my apologies for listing the place name - I'm trying to figure out how to edit the post to remove it but haven't figured it out yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

The place has been in a guide book for years, some people should just grow the feck up:rolleyes:

Easily known you're the fu*kin tourist 'round here.

Easkey is known world wide, the other spot less so. Is it in Stormriders? I don't know as I don't use it. It's not featured on MSW, Windguru or Surf-Forecast so why go promoting it.
    It's a spot that's not suitable for beginners or kooks.
    Can't handle a big crowd which it often gets and parking can be an issue when busy.
    It'd fit the term of a sensitive spot and if you'd look at the charter you'll see you're not encouraged to mention such spots.
    It's easier to just not mention some spots than it is to draw attention to them, I know that's an alien concept 'round here where many like to talk up their owning the local gnarly reef.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Keep it civil folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Easily known you're the fu*kin tourist 'round here.

Easkey is known world wide, the other spot less so. Is it in Stormriders? I don't know as I don't use it. It's not featured on MSW, Windguru or Surf-Forecast so why go promoting it.
    It's a spot that's not suitable for beginners or kooks.
    Can't handle a big crowd which it often gets and parking can be an issue when busy.
    It'd fit the term of a sensitive spot and if you'd look at the charter you'll see you're not encouraged to mention such spots.
    It's easier to just not mention some spots than it is to draw attention to them, I know that's an alien concept 'round here where many like to talk up their owning the local gnarly reef.

You just convinced me and probably others to go and find the place! Didn't pay much notice before. Thought it was just the most easterly point the OP had been.

Directions freely available here, just ask around

• Advertisement

Easkey may be known worldwide but its not the most popular reef in sligo :rolleyes:

But I don't want to argue semantics, lock the thread or delete posts and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PHotoNrd

Aye the thing that surprised me was how packed the spot I would surf regularly at was (the one I originally named) even compared to Easkey - how often I would head out on a saturday or sunday and have 20 guys in the water scrabbling over that 1 peak. Thankfully this forced me to paddle out to the killer but somewhat more serious and fickle reef just a quarter

mile down the coast with almost no one ever on it - that is currently my favorite spot although I have not yet surfed it much overhead because of its seriousness.

I've checked out the waves a lot just up the coast from the main peak as well and there still is lots of potential however those spots seldom light up till it is well overhead - I've been burnt enough by the currents around there to know I shouldn't paddle out to a new spot in Ireland on a well overhead day alone anymore... another thing that wasnt really an issue in Southern California lol. Basically, Irish reefs pay dividends to those with good water knowledge... and good conditioning to boot (my weakness now).

So, to end let me briefly state THANK YOU IRELAND AND THE LOCAL SURFERS for the wonderful stoke I have back in my life since I started surfing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Great to hear stories like Photonrd :)

Nice sentiments OP, your kind are always welcome;)

Yeah it can get nasty out there, got caught out one day on the left up there at high tide.

Caught a few cracking waves when to my horror the left joined up with a right and I had a nightmare paddle and climb to get out the water

Advertisement