Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage payments

• 29-02-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

i'm about to come of a fixed rate mortgage.... and the bank i'm with are giving me three options.... a variable rate..... a 2 year fixed rate and a 5 year fixed rate...

has anyone any advise about coming of the fixed rate..... to variable... or should i get back on the fixed rate wagon.... and if so.... should i go with the two years.. as oppossed to 5 years...... any advise given will be taken on board....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

With the fixed you are guarenteed to pay a set amount each month however you will
    miss out any interest rate falls from now until either the two year or 5 year is up.

saying that you will also miss the rate increases.

there is no real science to it but really a preference on having static payments of fixed or taking the gamble on the variable in the hope it will stay or go down and not go up.

I fixed mine 5 years ago and will be coming out of it in July but because I am with the robbers of PTSB the current variable is the same as the fixed I entered into 5 years ago.
    which is around 5.15%.

I probably wont get a choice of fixed this time around either but be forced onto a variable due to the amount of NE my house is in.

for me it would depend on the fixed rate being offered, If i felt it was too high versus the variable I would take a gamble on the variable for a while and if there are signs of rate increases then you should still have an option to jump on to a fixed rate at any time, just check this with your bank that they will still offer the fixed once choosing your variable.

If you go on a fixed rate you cant jump onto a variable until that term is up or pay a hefty penatly for coming out of it.

Good Luck with what ever you choose.

Advertisement