Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinct ‘giant penguin’ species reconstructed from fossils

Options
  • 29-02-2012 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

IT WAS A SLENDER bird, with long wings and a spear-like bill to catch swift ocean prey. And scientists say the first glimpse of the extinct giant penguin species was worth the 26 million-year wait.

Experts from New Zealand and the United States reconstructed a fossil skeleton of one of the giant sea birds to reveal a body shape unique from known penguin species with features that have them describing it as one elegant bird.

The bird they dubbed Kairuku — Maori for “diver who returns with food” — stood about 4 feet 2 inches (1.3 metres) tall and lived in the Oligocene period, about 26 million years ago. The research on Kairuku was published this week in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/extinct-giant-penguin-species-reconstructed-from-fossils-369376-Feb2012/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Only seeing this now. Must have slipped through my news net.
    Whose the beached whale thing?
    Giant-Penguins1-390x285.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I don't know, but he doesn't look very pleased about being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Only seeing this now. Must have slipped through my news net.
    Whose the beached whale thing?
    Giant-Penguins1-390x285.jpg

A footnote I read somewhere said it was a prehistoric dolphin- something that was found along with the penguins I suposse...

This pic is way too good to ignore:

ping.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Adam Khor wrote: »
    This pic is way too good to ignore:

ping.jpg

Someone has already nibbled the chocolate off that penguin.
    :D

*sorry I'll get me coat*

• Advertisement

The dolphin in the pics above is a Waipatia, just in case anyone still wanted to know.

Advertisement