Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn how to plaster

• 29-02-2012 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can learn how to plaster. Its one of them things I wouldn't mind having a go at and was wondering how you go about learning. Im in the Ballinasloe area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

check out ur local B&Q

they do these diy classes....i know plastering is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Ok thanks for your input. I checked it out and they only offer these courses in their Liffey Valley store.

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

You could try hoking up with a local plasterer occasionally and either as a paid labourer or as an observer, find out the basics. It's a very physical job and time is of the essence. You need to practice the coordination of whipping the plaster (either lightweight or sand&cement) off the hawk with the trowel. Gradually you get a feel for the right way. Rendering with a rubbed up finish is not that skilful but neat, good quality skimmimg takes quite a few years to master. There are a few 'plastering schools' in Essex that give one/two week courses. Before partaking in one of these I'd recommend at least 6 months as a plasterer's mate. Anyway, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

youtube is a good place to start. I did a small room in my house with good results. good hands and keen eye needed.

Advertisement