Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Image slicing still used?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Or is CSS manipulatioin more accepted? What I mean is when taking a design from a photo shop stage, does it look "better" if the interface is sliced fro the design of if it is done in pure css? Obviously things like buttons or specific patterns etc may need to be sliced. At what point does the build look too sliced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Use as much CSS as you can. Even for buttons, images are not really needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Slicing's out. I find it hard to find an example where it could be beneficial. Design is now about CSS driven objects and modules. With this shift I have ditched Photoshop in favour of Fireworks a good while ago; there is even a plugin for FW that lets you export CSS for visually styled objects such as buttons, containers etc.

mhge wrote: »
    With this shift I have ditched Photoshop in favour of Fireworks a good while ago; there is even a plugin for FW that lets you export CSS for visually styled objects such as buttons, containers etc.

God no... It produces a sh*t load of crap unneeded code. I would never use Fireworks, or any generator built into an image programme to output any code. Why would you possibly want to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

smash wrote: »
    God no... It produces a sh*t load of crap unneeded code. I would never use Fireworks, or any generator built into an image programme to output any code. Why would you possibly want to do that?

I don't mean the layout CSS it produces, it's crap all right. There is a plugin, however, which will take any small object you create (a rectangle styled as button, for example) and output the effects you applied to it such as shadows, gradients, transparency, borders etc as CSS3 rules. Which has to be reviewed by hand of course, as I write CSS by hand as a rule, but it speeds up the process and is an example of FW being helpful in the object -> CSS workflow I mentioned.

You'll get better code from the likes of this: http://css3button.net/

• Advertisement
Advertisement