Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correct procedure when moving cow/cattle

• 29-02-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

we have two short legged Dexters, a heifer and her calf, we want to get her in calf again so we have to take her to a long legged dexter bull. Can anybody tell me what I need to do when moving her, ie. do I need to inform the dept (we have pigs and have to do this when we move them off farm). She was tested last June, does she need to be tested again before we move her, she will be staying with the bull for a month to make sure she's covered so I assume she will have to be tested at that farm before coming back here? Any advice would be great, thanks

Sorry for all the questions, she is our first cow and we're not 100% sure on the procedure

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

we have two short legged Dexters, a heifer and her calf, we want to get her in calf again so we have to take her to a long legged dexter bull. Can anybody tell me what I need to do when moving her, ie. do I need to inform the dept (we have pigs and have to do this when we move them off farm). She was tested last June, does she need to be tested again before we move her, she will be staying with the bull for a month to make sure she's covered so I assume she will have to be tested at that farm before coming back here? Any advice would be great, thanks

Sorry for all the questions, she is our first cow and we're not 100% sure on the procedure

She will have to be blood tested within 60 days. I am not entirely sure about the movement with herd numbers but I would assume that if it's for that long she will have to be transferred into the bull owner's herd number. Then she would need to be blood tested again before leaving his herd and possibly TB'd if it's past the year since she was tested. If i'm incorrect on this, someone can correct me as I have never had to do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Hi all,

Depending on the age of the calf you may need to get her TB tested as well. Ring your local office, they'll let you know. One thing for sure, you'll have to register the movement to the other farm and then back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Hi all,

Did you consider ai
    Or maybe move the bull to you

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

epfff wrote: »
    Did you consider ai
    Or maybe move the bull to you

The calf will be staying here, he's almost 8 months old, AI doesn't seem to be an option as there's no long legged dexter AI bull available, I'll ring the local DVO to make sure what it is I have to do.

Thanks all

nihicib2:o

Advertisement