Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Summer Olympics: London

Options
  • 29-02-2012 4:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How many of you are planning on attending the Olympics 27 July-12 Aug 2012? I plan to be there, and will be staying with friends in Parsons Green.

There is a nearby tube station, so I was wondering if the Olympic Park in Stratford, east London can be reached easily by tube, and if London has special plans and schedules for use of the tube during the games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm relieved to be on the opposite side of London to the games, tbh. I'd imagine transport around then will suck fat hairy lemons.

I've got tickets to the boxing, and am hoping to land some for the taekwondo come April....not much fussed about opening ceremonies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was going to try get tickets for the wrestling and boxing but it's looking nigh on impossible.

as for transport :( it depends on where i'll be based at the time. right now, i have to travel through stratford to get in to the city, i can envisage it being slightly perplexing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

These are the connections I was planning originally, but will examine the above travel during the Olympics info, especially for the "leave," which will more than likely have a new Olympic Park station exit.

1) From Parsons Green take the District Line
    2) Change lines at Earls Court to the District Line
    3) Change lines at Mile End to the Central Line
    4) Leave the train at Stratford

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Black Swan wrote: »
    These are the connections I was planning originally, but will examine the above travel during the Olympics info, especially for the "leave," which will more than likely have a new Olympic Park station exit.

1) From Parsons Green take the District Line
    2) Change lines at Earls Court to the District Line
    3) Change lines at Mile End to the Central Line
    4) Leave the train at Stratford

Well take out Step 2 for a start - the District Line runs direct to either Mile End or Notting Hill Gate from Parsons Green depending on what train you get on, so just change to the Central Line there. I've tickets for football at Wembley and the women's boxing medal finals, and am planning on going along to some of the free events.

I'm not too worried about transport, every other host city has had transport problems but it's never what's remembered once the action starts. London has a much better transport system than it's given credit for, despite its age and numerous other issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Tickets to Women's Boxing Final as well as a few others here I see, hurray!...I live quite close to the site so not too worried, would love a few 'work at home' days tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Anyone getting a bonus for working

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The place will be rammed but I don't think my tube line will be too bothered by it, the Victoria line, especially as I get on at the first station.
    I have no interest really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The place will be rammed but I don't think my tube line will be too bothered by it, the Victoria line, especially as I get on at the first station.
    I have no interest really.

Think again, they are reckon delays going through green park will be 1/2 and hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I live by north greenwich tube and work in canary wharf. To say I'm not looking forward to the olympics would be an understatement :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've Womans boxing, Mens Volleyball and Womans Volleyball tickets.

There's talk of an option to work at home or at least flexible hours but we'll have to see how that plays out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Think again, they are reckon delays going through green park will be 1/2 and hour

i'll probably cycle anyway, I get out at Ox Circ, yes coming home could be a nightmare on the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Anyone getting a bonus for working
    We're being none-too-subtly encouraged to take holidays. I think I'll be taking at least a week away from London and working from home so far as is possible the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It wont be that bad! Most sports start after rush hour.

Going to volleyball and the Cycle race is almost passing my house so going to set up outside the pub for that.

Advertisement