Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handcycle or sporty wheelchair to rent?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

hello,

I am an avid cyclist but unfortunately have very bad knees at the current time which means I'm not allowed to cycle more than say 5 km at a time, and walking more than 30 min isn't too nice either.

working with a physio to solve this, however, I'm bored sitting up at home on evenings and weekends and want to get out more.

I'm not seriously injured or disabled so I don't want to take away equipment from those who are, but is it possible to rent a handcycle or a sporty-style wheelchair (not sports-specific, just something hardy enough for exercise) so that I can get out of the house and exercise my arms while my legs improve?

(I can still go out on the bike, however, I'm used to going out on two hour + spins and taking like four hour walks... this is killin' me and making me lazy as heck... just trying to find a solution.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Where you based? Could have a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

Dublin. Close to city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

You got PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

There's fixed hand cycles in the Irish Wheelchair Association Gym in Clontarf. Think they do pay as you go for a 5e. You could also contact them about renting out a racing chair or hand bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

All right... I'll have to go check them out I guess. Duck's hoop seems to have mysteriously vanished.

Had another physio appt. My knees got worse in some ways, but it's all part of correcting the motion imbalance apparently. we'll see what'll happen...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Any hope of trying out or renting a sports wheelchair for road racing anywhere in Munster? The guy wants to try before committing to buying.

Advertisement