Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets in Galway

• 29-02-2012 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I took my medium sized dog to the vets today. The charge for a consultation and blood test €110. I was shocked, am I alone in thinking this was excessive. I know they are located near the consultants on The Crescent but they should not be charging similar fees.

Any good value Vets in Galway.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How much do you think they should charge?
    Did you ask beforehand about the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you will soon come to realise that having a dog is very expensive. Their vet bills are actually higher than human doctor bills. Wait till you have to board them in kennels while you go away. Animals are expensive. Don't purchase an animal unless you understand how expensive it is to care for them (last statement is a general statement, not personal statement to OP)>

You can get insurance for your pet - it runs about 150 per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's the same price usually as a doctor, just that they are animal doctors.
    Some jabs for a cat >50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Glenina are very good and a fair bit cheaper than Ark vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Maybe I'm alone in agreeing with the OP that that amount does sound pretty high for what they got. We just paid our vet bill of €550 (for a period of around 6 months), but that covered a few months of caninsulin, 1 spaying, 2 sets of vaccinations for dogs (1 booster, one puppy course), 1 euthanasia (dog), 1 cat being treated for cat flu, 1 cat vaccination, 1 cat burst eardrum, 2 visits for an injured cat, including an x-ray, 2 lots of eye cream for cats, liquid wormer for a puppy and a kitten, and a few other visits I can't remember.

I think our vets are great :) We've been using them for 12 years now, and they've gone out of their way for us on several occasions, meeting us at the surgery out of hours for emergencies, giving advice over the phone etc. Shame they're not in Galway (well, as far as the OP is concerned, it is, they're fine just where they are, for me!).

What we pay for in vets bills we save on kennel fees (and indeed holidays) by never going away at the same time - it's very true that having animals is expensive (though dogs and cats fade into insignificance when you compare them to the cost of having a horse - something I could no longer afford) - however, some vets do charge more than others, without necessarily providing a better service, so I don't see anything wrong with the OP asking for good, maybe cheaper, vets in their area. Just wish I knew of one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ah OP, you went to the dearest vets in Galway :)- though IMO they're the best. I go to them for the big stuff like orthopedics, and get routine ops and check ups at vets outside the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A consultation fee should be about €40 so the blood test was €70. Some practices can do some blood tests in house & some get sent away so it does depend on the type of test that was required.

I have used several Vets in Galway & price would never be my first priority. I am more concerned about the ability & attitude of the Vet. In the past I have worked with many Vets & I now use Barna Vet Clinic who I regard as one of the very best. They are also really nice people.

http://www.barnavetclinic.ie/

Advertisement