Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitter?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Anyone know of a reliable, responsible babysitter in Waterford? My partner and I like to go out a couple of evenings a month but we're new to town and don't really know anyone here yet.

Dunmore Road area, one kid aged 6 who would be in bed.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yup, I sure do. Ill send you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hunky_Dory

I'm a 20 year old student nurse with alot of babysitting and caring experience, from the dunmore road area with my own car.

I'll send you a Private Meassage with some more details and a contact number!

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you really leave your child in the care of someone you casually picked up on an internet forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtotown

looksee wrote: »
    Would you really leave your child in the care of someone you casually picked up on an internet forum?

Because that's exactly what I'm doing... I'm looking for recommendations and references, not random Bob from across town. Thanks for the judgement, but I know how to make sure the person watching my kid isn't a child-killing psycho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm sure s/he will ask for a CV and references, to be fair.

• Advertisement

Are you still loking for a babysitter OP? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Yeah she sounds like she is mad for the drink and will probably leave her child with the least high of the junkie babysitters who knock on the door...let's get social services in

In fairness, for someone new to the area,I'd say it would definitely be hard to find a babysitter as most people just use their neighbours or family friends.

But considering newtotown said they are looking for references and recommendations, I'm sure they won't just pick some random joe bloggs off the street.
    Jeeees guys, be nice to the new people in our town and be thankful that they chose to move here!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hunky_Dory wrote: »
    In fairness, for someone new to the area,I'd say it would definitely be hard to find a babysitter as most people just use their neighbours or family friends.

But considering newtotown said they are looking for references and recommendations, I'm sure they won't just pick some random joe bloggs off the street.
    Jeeees guys, be nice to the new people in our town and be thankful that they chose to move here!! :)

As a childminder I along with other childminders that I know provide lists of referees and you'd be shocked at how many parents do not check them out. It's improved a bit in recent years but still some parents don't bother.

One thing about Waterford is that it's small enough that new people can get to hear local knowledge via neighbours and work colleagues pretty quickly, there's usually someone who can give a recommendation for most things.

When I moved to Waterford long before I knew of boards I didn't know anyone apart from the inlaws for a while apart from saying hello to but then through one introduction I soon got to know others and was able to tap into an extensive source of local information.

The only way I would take someone on was if they worked in a local creche or came recommended from someone I could trust. If I was very stuck, and someone offered, id still prefer to check out those who worked with them in the past.

What if something goes wrong? Do they know what to do if the child gets sick? What if they get very upset? Can they even bloody change a nappy?

A lot of people do babysitting, but a lot of people are dodgy. Same in my line of work - plenty of people offer cheap service with a terrible work quality. Surprised the amount of people who cant tell the difference and judge by the price alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement