Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Renewal

• 29-02-2012 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Was wondering can anyone help. I have my car insurance with FBD now since I was around 16, over 10 years. Anyway I always had no claims bonus insurance. I had a crash about 7 years ago and was waiting for the 5 years till it was off my insurance. Now I was still paying no claims insurance.

Now last year I had a crash, my fault, cost about 1,100 on my car and about 1,100 on other car. Got renewal and it is same as last year. I still am paying no claims bonus protection so with my quote I am supposed to be getting 50% discount.

I was wondering can I move to other insurance companies and keep my no claims? I know years ago I rang around a few and they said wouldnt take me because I had a crash in last 5 years. Does having no claims insurance make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I was wondering can I move to other insurance companies and keep my no claims? I know years ago I rang around a few and they said wouldnt take me because I had a crash in last 5 years. Does having no claims insurance make any difference?

I don't think so, the additional layer of insurance (covering the NCB) usually covers you for that specific insurance company only so if you move you lose the benefit.

Look at it from the perspective of any potential new insurance company - why should they give you a no-claims bonus when you've clearly had a claim in the past year?

You had your insurance with company A, now you're thinking of moving to company B but you paid the NCB insurance to company A. There's no obligation on company B to honour a contract of insurance (to protect your NCB) you had with company A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

FBD insured you at 16?? great company!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ravima wrote: »
    FBD insured you at 16?? great company!

Originally back in day as named driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Originally back in day as named driver

Car, motor bike or tractor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If you had your bonus fully protected you will still have your no claims bonus.Some insurers may not quote you because you have had a claim in the last 12 months but most will.

One thing I will say.If you have the full no claims bonus protection cover on your policy with FBD Id think long and hard about leaving them.

They offered this level of cover a few years ago and what it basically means is that you have unlimited bonus protection,basically you can claim as many times as you like with them and it will never ever effect your bonus.

No other insurer offers this level of bonus protection and if you leave FBD you cannot get it back again as they discontinued it in around 07 because it was being abused.

I used to work for them so am familiar with the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Based on quotes I recently had I think this is down to two unlimited crashes with fbd and their no claims bonus protection. Then it starts to drop. With 123/RSA you get 1 unlimited crash and then it starts to drop a little on your no claims bonus protection. Axa's model I think is a fixed large sum rather then an unlimited crash protection. Fbd when I was ringing around did have the best level of cover compared with the rest but 123 really were so cheap it was hard to pass them up even though the others in some cases (not all) offered higher levels of cover.

Advertisement