Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin providers Athlone - cheapest

• 29-02-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

Hi - currently with AES but seen a large increase in all providers - do AES remain the cheapest in Athlone for Refuse collection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I don't think there's much difference in cost between providers.

Do AES collect both bins (waste and recycling) on Friday every week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

AES are certainly the better in terms of service in my experience and I originally found them very reasonable compared to the council. They do the job at a good time and put the bin back in the driveway etc.. They're bins are also sturdier than the council's were. Just my two cents. I don't work for AES btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hi - currently with AES but seen a large increase in all providers - do AES remain the cheapest in Athlone for Refuse collection?

Last time I compared, Oxigen were cheapest and I moved from AES, but I forget the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

AES are €9.75 (general) and €3.75 (recyclable) per lift for a normal 240 liter bin, if you're on the recycle plus plans.
    Or €8 and €3 + an additional €100 per year 'service charge' according to the web site.
    Or €360 per annum for just the waste bin.

The council services were taken over by oxigen so they're €12 and €6 for tags.

Oxigen is advertised as €25 per month. I don't know whether there are further charges on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Heard on the radio the other day that Wallace are/have increased regular bin tag to €12. They blaming the landfill levy for the increase

• Advertisement

These charges are absolutely ridiculous ! :mad:
    €12 just to empty your bin is absolutely outrageous ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Their all in it together, I went to get the 2 tags and wallace and allied had made similar increases, €12 & €6. There is going to be more dumping going on.

It seems very suspicious that they all increase their charges by almost the same amount at the same time. .:confused:

I thought there was meant to be competition to drive charges down ? - It looks much more like an anti-competitive cartel to me. These bin charges are yet another example of the rip-off republic. I just can't afford to be constantly ripped off anymore .:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I use wallace most of the time.

Although these days I burn a lot of rubbish in the stove....bin doesnt go out every week anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

We moved to Athlone about 9 months ago and joined up to Oxigen, we pay 49 euro every 3 months so not too bad. It expires at end of March so am expecting an increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

we pay €18 per month for a bi-monthly collection with oxigen, cant complain
    Door to door salesman called around 2 months ago and offered us that deal

€18 per month for a bi-monthly collection ( one collection every two weeks) is €9 per bin collection.

And as Steven81 says, expect that to increase dramatically once your sign on "deal" expires....

Long Gone wrote: »
    €18 per month for a bi-monthly collection ( one collection every two weeks) is €9 per bin collection.

And as Steven81 says, expect that to increase dramatically once your sign on "deal" expires....

Both bins are collected at the same time so 4 bin collections a month or €6 for the green bin and €3 for the blue.
    The "deal" doesn't expire.

darokane wrote: »
    The "deal" doesn't expire.

9 Yoyos to collect both bins forever ? .:cool:

That does sound like a good deal - Have you got their number ? :)

Long Gone wrote: »
    9 Yoyos to collect both bins forever ? .:cool:

That does sound like a good deal - Have you got their number ? :)

ha, there is no contract i should have said, i never said that they can't increase the price, still i reckon that's the cheapest price for a bin collection in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Think theres not much between Barna Waste and AES, but you can only get Barna Waste on the west side of town

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

Posts before this one are 9 years old.

So we are in the market for waste collection in Athlone East.
    I am aware of allied as collectors and barna as bring points. Are there others in the Athlone market that collect and are reliable and reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

cheapest is to bring the stuff to the recycle/waste centre yourself.
    small trailer is €10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We just bring a black bag for €4 a pop when visiting the recycling centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

slave1 wrote: »
    We just bring a black bag for €4 a pop when visiting the recycling centre

is it not €4 for the car and you can bring as many bags as you want?

• Advertisement
Advertisement