Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fart wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that on the http://contact.ie/contact website there is a section to rate your Politicians and when you click on Labour TDs and scroll down to that prick Sean Sherlock? Where you can click on the stars to vote for him, the page just flickers and you can't really click on it. Really pathetic and is obviously done on purpose... but I managed to just give him one star.

Alot of politicians seem to have an average rating of 1.2

Sherlock has -111109.5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

GombeanMan wrote: »
    It may not be a criminal offence, but make no mistake, it's not something to make light of either. At least under these new rules. If this statute leads to statutory damages being introduced into common law systems, you can expect to be sued for 150,000 euro upwards for each item of infingement. 5 songs copied? That will be 750,000 euro in damages for the plaintiff. Serious penalities for civil matters are on the way as a result of this. Expect to see more cases along the following lines: https://torrentfreak.com/student-hit-with-fine-in-riaa-case-090731/
    Is it possible to declare bankruptcy straight after legal proceedings and effectively never have to pay those fines?

:eek: That's me in it up to my great great great great great great great great great great grankids necks! ..... and there I was worrying about silly little things like Anglo & bailouts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dpaulod

Hi All,
    where can I find an explanation of what has changed as a result of this new law
    for the average internet user who has no facebook, no personal website etc ??

Regards
    Paul O' Donovan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

Is it possible to declare bankruptcy straight after legal proceedings and effectively never have to pay those fines?

Possibly. But you still have to declare that bankruptcy for the next 7 years or perhaps even longer. Somebody with that amount on their record is fcuked financial wise, at least for the short-medium term. Civil offences of this nature are generally public record, so expect to have this ending up in the media too. Even if you declare bankruptcy, who is to say your wages cannot be garnished, or further civil action can't happen? Not worth the risk imo. If you want to just pirate for personal use, move to/utilise services in Switzerland. They outlawed civil action for personal downloading there. The Swiss Government aren't thick, unlike the cretins we have in office here. They know you can't stop it fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

#resignseansherlock

6 Hours to go. Tweet using this hashtag at 6pm today and let's get some justice! Share this everywhere on Facebook & Twitter...Your Internet needs you!

6pm GMT March 04th 2012. #resignseansherlock

• Advertisement

EarlERizer wrote: »
    :eek: That's me in it up to my great great great great great great great great great great grankids necks! ..... and there I was worrying about silly little things like Anglo & bailouts :rolleyes:

If all of your "infringements" took place before the SOPA legislation was passed, technically, you have to be tried under the old laws, as laws aren't retroactive in this country. Article 15.5.1 of the Irish Constitution states you can't be held liable for these new fines. My best advice if you download as often as a hooer changes her knickers, STOP RIGHT NOW AND YOU SHOULD BE OK!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Eh... GombeanMan, have you read the Irish SOPA legislation? Or anything you've linked over the past few posts for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ThisNoize

I regularly download music, movies and software.

Could anybody give me some tips on how to avoid getting done for this?

You're not going to get 'done'.

Your access could potentially be restricted, and it would have nothing much to do with your own activity.

Eh... GombeanMan, have you read the Irish SOPA legislation? Or anything you've linked over the past few posts for that matter?

My reasoning is this: SOPA will eventually lead to an ACTA like statute being passed here. If that happens, the scenario I have posted above with regards to the RIAA suing people for big bucks is going to become a reality sooner rather than later. SOPA is the first step in this gradual process. Sherlock is probably debating these punative matters as we speak. Everybody really does lose but the big media companies if ACTA is passed. It's SOPA on steroids.

• Advertisement

GombeanMan wrote: »
    My reasoning is this: SOPA will eventually lead to an ACTA like statute being passed here. If that happens, the scenario I have posted above with regards to the RIAA suing people for big bucks is going to become a reality sooner rather than later. SOPA is the first step in this gradual process. Sherlock is probably debating these punative matters as we speak. Everybody loses but the big media companies if ACTA is passed. It's SOPA on steroids.

Ireland already signed to ACTA (looks like SOPA distracted you a bit there), one didn't lead to the other, this isn't really looking to be a gradual anything, currently there's an assault on internet freedoms.

The RIAA sued that muppet for uploading, not downloading, he wasn't just an average person streaming a couple of songs off the net, what happened there made perfect sense. I could not give two shits how this affects your ability to download copyrighted material, I care about the affect on everyone's internet freedoms.

Ireland already signed to ACTA (looks like SOPA distracted you a bit there), one didn't lead to the other, this isn't really looking to be a gradual anything, currently there's an assault on internet freedoms.

The RIAA sued that muppet for uploading, not downloading, he wasn't just an average person streaming a couple of songs off the net, what happened there made perfect sense. I could not give two shits how this affects your ability to download copyrighted material, I care about the affect on everyone's internet freedoms.

Signed, but not yet ratified. No standing in law yet so. The RIAA sue people for punative damages in cases of downloading and uploading. If ACTA introduces punative damages here(and it most likely will) you can bet your barney people will be sued for these amounts. That is why these statutes are so popular. They remove common sense from the courtroom. Lucrative for those involved.

ThisNoize wrote: »
    I regularly download music, movies and software.

Could anybody give me some tips on how to avoid getting done for this?

Move to Switzerland. Downloading for personal use is 100% legal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Alot of politicians seem to have an average rating of 1.2

Sherlock has -111109.5 :D

Now at -79364 Oh and whatever dope put that rating system together didn't set it at one vote per person......just sayin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Everyone please do this, there's already 2700 doing it.

Mod:
    Hello folks.

I've removed some posts containing personal abuse.

Let's not let personal abuse of Mr. Sherlock cheapen our position on how fundamentally wrong and flawed his decision was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

What's a "tweet"?

Do I have to stand on top of my roof, act like a bird and shout "Tweet, tweet! Hash Resign Sean Sherlock! Tweet, tweet!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What's a "tweet"?

Do I have to stand on top of my roof, act like a bird and shout "Tweet, tweet! Hash Resign Sean Sherlock! Tweet, tweet!!"
    Yes, you have to do exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What's a "tweet"?

Equally as effective.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Because the guy is selfish. He wasn't bothered by our SOPA (it's not actually SOPA, but it's still terrible) complaints, he wants to make a name for himself. Attack him and he'll notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Well, I'll be doing it anyway. This snip needs to know that he won't ever get voted in anywhere again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I don't like Minister Sherlock and I have a few suggestions as to where he can stick this new legislation of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He'll freak out when he hears that he's a trendy hashtag. Probably get the drug squad to investigate the matter. The careless whisper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Daniel S wrote: »
    Because the guy is selfish. He wasn't bothered by our SOPA (it's not actually SOPA, but it's still terrible) complaints, he wants to make a name for himself. Attack him and he'll notice.
    Because Irish politicians have a rich history of stepping aside when the tide of public opinion turns against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Daniel S wrote: »

The only thing people in his position notice is their guarenteed salary and expenses allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Until the media decides they want rid of him he'll be hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's a form of protest, one that won't achieve anything other than getting our voice herad. That's exactly what's wrong with this country, people just couldn't be arsed voicing their disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's a form of protest, one that won't achieve anything other than getting our voice herad. That's exactly what's wrong with this country, people just couldn't be arsed voicing their disgust.

Apart from when 80k people did, as mentioned in the post you quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

If I knew for sure he would be reading the tweets and was actualy on Twitter I'd go to town on it but it's a waste of time, he already snubbed 80000 objections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Online protests are easily ignored, as we've seen with the 80,000 signature petition(which I signed).

Advertisement