Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Aim higher up the FG hierarchy if you want a decision made

he's a Labour TD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well I messed up there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I say we steal his kidneys, and refuse to return them until he nukes the statutory instrument. If that won't change his mind, I don't know what will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

TheZohan wrote: »
    Online protests are easily ignored, as we've seen with the 80,000 signature petition(which I signed).

Ok, go back to your couch then so if tweeting is too much trouble for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Jesus, the tweets are flying up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I can just imagine how horrified he will be, now!

"80,000 people don't want me to sign this. Ah, sure, be grand."

(Later).

"OH NO, I'M TRENDING!! I HAVE MADE A GRAVE ERROR IN MY JUDGEMENT!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

TheZohan wrote: »
    Online protests are easily ignored, as we've seen with the 80,000 signature petition(which I signed).

Not even just online ones. Countless people wrote to and met their elected representatives to discuss the SI, and groups which included Google & Microsoft aired their concerns about the matter.. and even their input wasn't given any proper consideration.

It's funny to think that we'll all be told to consider the arguments for and engage in debate about the upcoming referendum by the same shower that blatantly refused to give this any real time for proper debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FearDark wrote: »
    Well, I'll be doing it anyway. This cúnt needs to know that he won't ever get voted in anywhere again.

I think that's up to the peopel of West Cork, or whatever constituency he's in. If he fixed a road down there, we're stuck with him.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If Google or Microsoft ever threatened to leave they'd sure sit up and take notice

Until then, our leaders don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

if there was some way to get the westboro baptist church to picket outside his house that would be wonderful. God hates arseholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'm not on tweeter. :( But I could throw a flaming brick through his constituency office window. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

he's a Labour TD

no worries, they are all the fecking same anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

Why isn't he taking down his facebook page?

No mention of this "catastrophe" in local media, no threats from large multinational it sector, no word from SS, and my internet is still working, so all good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

1. Have a look at his site here - http://www.seansherlock.ie/
    2. copy the URL of any of the icons used there and search for them on tineye.com
    3. read the copyright notice on Sherlock's site
    4. rage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I wonder how many of you are actually worried about internet freedom or are you really worried about more of your file sharing sites shutting down? *dodges flying tomatoes*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I wonder how many of you are actually worried about internet freedom or are you really worried about more of your file sharing sites shutting down? *dodges flying tomatoes*
    How many Irish file sharing sites do you know?

It has already had its effects, Boards has already started reviewed it's policies
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056565895

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

File sharing sites won't be affected substantially by this, pirates will continuing pirating. It's regular sites like boards that will be hit more.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The Corkonians will vote him in next election just to spite the rest of Ireland :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It has already had its effects, Boards has already started reviewed it's policies
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056565895
    File sharing sites won't be affected substantially by this, pirates will continuing pirating. It's regular sites like boards that will be hit more.

Unfortunately his has been happening long before this law was signed. I know full well as I was trying to make a complaint against two medium sized companies and they were removed by the mods because they had legal letters sent from these companies.

This law does nothing to change that. In fact this law has almost no overreaching powers. It's nothing like SOPA or ACTA. I do agree that Sean Sherlock should be more engaged with the people over this issue however.

• Advertisement

According to trendmap its trending http://trendsmap.com/local/ireland

But it's not appearing on Twitter, it's as if it's being censored

It was reported that it was tweeted by Breaking News but has now been removed. Do we live in Ireland or China :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

1. Have a look at his site here - http://www.seansherlock.ie/
    2. copy the URL of any of the icons used there and search for them on tineye.com
    3. read the copyright notice on Sherlock's site
    4. rage :mad:

1. Open his site http://www.seansherlock.ie/
    2. Open this site http://goggles.sneakygcr.net/
    3. Drag the bookmarklet (goggles on the left) to the open page.
    4. ????
    5. Profit

His website shows a place in Cork called Ballyhooly

Sounds like a mad place :D
    I feel a weekend drinking session in Cork coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Does anyone have any links on what Sherlock's act will do? I heard him on the radio recently talking about the legislation and it didn't seem all that dramatic or draconian. Obviously, he's not going to say otherwise but I'd like to get some objective info on the whole thing before I make up my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I have no twiter followers. I just use it for earthquake updates so it would be pointles,, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

There is no way that 'Omegle' is being Tweeted about more in Dublin right now. What is going on with Twitter? Are they sponsored links or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Daniel S wrote: »
    Because the guy is selfish. He wasn't bothered by our SOPA (it's not actually SOPA, but it's still terrible) complaints, he wants to make a name for himself. Attack him and he'll notice.
    He won't care though. I don't like to sound like a defeatist, but the SOPA thing exemplifies the fact that this government doesn't give a fcuk about what you think and no amount of tweeting will change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Namlub wrote: »
    He won't care though. I don't like to sound like a defeatist, but the SOPA thing exemplifies the fact that this government doesn't give a fcuk about what you think and no amount of tweeting will change that.

From reading the thread, 80k people signed a petition against this legislation. That's a tiny proportion of the population. Do you expect the government to craft legislation based on the the demands of a tiny minority of the population?

Advertisement