Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fianna Fáil did it for civil unions

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Einhard wrote: »
    From reading the thread, 80k people signed a petition against this legislation. That's a tiny proportion of the population. Do you expect the government to craft legislation based on the the demands of a tiny minority of the population?

80k people is a damn lot when they are seeking the same outcome. The people that attended the Million Man March could have been considered to be a tiny minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil did it for civil unions

No they didn't. They did so because they thought it was the correct, progressive thing to do, and not simply because gays demanded it.

80k people is a damn lot when they are seeking the same outcome. The people that attended the Million Man March could have been considered to be a tiny minority.

Yeah fair enough point, but I don't think that legislation should crafted simply because a tiny minority shouts the loudest.

I mean, one could probably have get a similar number of people to sign a petition to ban divorce and outlaw homosexuality- would you be happy if the government adopted your position then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

From reading the thread, 80k people signed a petition against this legislation. That's a tiny proportion of the population. Do you expect the government to craft legislation based on the the demands of a tiny minority of the population?

I said SOPA was an example (and one of many) of the government's general disinterest in what Irish people think, where did I suggest that they craft legislation based on petitions?
    And FWIW, 80,000 might be a small proportion of the population but it's still a hell of a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

For those of us new to twitter what exactly do you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

crazygeryy wrote: »
    For those of us new to twitter what exactly do you do?

Tweet anything you want. Just include #resignseansherlock in it!

Namlub wrote: »
    I said SOPA was an example (and one of many) of the government's general disinterest in what Irish people think, where did I suggest that they craft legislation based on petitions?
    And FWIW, 80,000 might be a small proportion of the population but it's still a hell of a lot of people.

I just don't think that the government should decide policy based on the opinions of those people who shout the loudest on a certain issue.

Chorcai wrote: »
    "BreakingNewsIreland

We contacted Minister Sherlock regarding #resignseansherlock but he refused to comment or answer any questions replying 'no thanks'."

http://twitter.com/#!/IrelandLatest

That is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

"BreakingNewsIreland

We contacted Minister Sherlock regarding #resignseansherlock but he refused to comment or answer any questions replying 'no thanks'."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I set up a twitter acount ages ago but never used it. I just made my first tweet. I doubt it will change much but anything is better than nothing and people who moan about how fultile it is to protest - in any fashion - are only part of the problem. It's impossible to know the future or what might contribute to the future.
    If someone can take the time to gripe on this thread about futility then surely they could have the time to sign a petition or tweet. It baffles me that they would do the former rather than doing the latter. It's not exactly climbing Everest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I just don't think that the government should decide policy based on the opinions of those people who shout the loudest on a certain issue.

Neither do I; that's not what I was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah fair enough point, but I don't think that legislation should crafted simply because a tiny minority shouts the loudest.

I mean, one could probably have get a similar number of people to sign a petition to ban divorce and outlaw homosexuality- would you be happy if the government adopted your position then?

I'd be happy if they at least pretended to consider it :)

I don't think that any law should be held up or repealed on the say so of a minority of people fwiw. I'm in favor of a more directly democratic process when it comes to stuff like this. 80,000 people being so vocally opposed to a change in law suggests that more time and consideration needs to be given to it before it is introduced.

"BreakingNewsIreland

Can a public representative refuse to talk to people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

"BreakingNewsIreland

Who are they? Their website is a dead link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ottostreet wrote: »
    Can a public representative refuse to talk to people?

I don't think that's a legit account, Breaking News use this one:
    https://twitter.com/#!/breakingnewsie

I've a feeling there's a huge censorship happening, no news media are covering it even though their twitter accounts were replied to, Twitter isn't showing it as trending even though the trendmap showed it was and #stopsopaireland was ternding worldwide. Welcome to China folks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mod:
    Hello folks.

I've removed some posts containing personal abuse.

Let's not let personal abuse of Mr. Sherlock cheapen our position on how fundamentally wrong and flawed his decision was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

dpaulod wrote: »
    Hi All,
    where can I find an explanation of what has changed as a result of this new law
    for the average internet user who has no facebook, no personal website etc ??

Regards
    Paul O' Donovan.

+1

I'm slightly curious by what they were saying. How can something be trending so well on the trend mappers, but nothing on Twitter? It can't be time related, as there's loads of trends now that have stuff from the voice of ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Labour should never be in government. They can never deliver the spiel they preach.

Just like the Greens, they are best suited in opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

chocksaway wrote: »
    he just ruined any chance he has of getting re-elected.. may kiss his political career goodbye
    He topped the poll in Cork East last year and was elected on the first count. I'd say he's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dvpower wrote: »
    He topped the poll in Cork East last year and was elected on the first count. I'd say he's safe.

Its amazing what the daddy vote can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I think Sherlock and his new law are brilliant. I want Sherlock to have my babies.

edited by: After Hours mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

TheZohan wrote: »
    I think Sherlock and his new law are brilliant. I want Sherlock to have my babies.

edited by: After Hours mods
    He looks like he may be able to do that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Why is it acceptable to call sherlock all the names under the sun, yet not other public figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Why is it acceptable to call sherlock all the names under the sun, yet not other public figures?

Because he's made a direct attack on boards.ie?

Based on their tweets, I think Anonymous are getting started.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.
    I wus wunderin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anonymous have DDOS'd his website and posted this pastebin as part of #opireland
    http://pastebin.com/jBh9xAKg

Advertisement