Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

If Anonymous are spamming his email accounts they are idiots; I was getting some useful replies from Sherlock. That is going to shut down any positive communication and have only the idiots posting abuse being able to get through.

Positive communication? I'm all for that normally, but Sherlock didn't listen to the communication before he signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 djsimpsondoh

accept my apology i shud of clarified what it was..as soon as i clicked it i stopped it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 djsimpsondoh

ottostreet wrote: »
    Positive communication? I'm all for that normally, but Sherlock didn't listen to the communication before he signed off.

u said it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

http://www.seansherlock.ie/ is loading in basic html only anyways - any other sites down because of this besides getbroadband.ie?

Any new news on this consultation the minister has mentioned in the following article:

http://www.thejournal.ie/sherlock-appeals-to-opponents-of-copyright-law-to-calls-off-the-dogs-369921-Mar2012/

Interesting read here btw:

http://www.ispai.ie/docs/copyright-si-realprobs.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

If Anonymous are spamming his email accounts they are idiots;

Who on earth said 'they' are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Useful replies..pfft

"I'm going to sign it anyway"
    ottostreet wrote: »
    He was at least responding to the issues I brought up with him, regarding the troubles this SI will cause; the impression I got was that he didn't fully understand the implications of it, but there is opportunity there for me to get that across to him as he seemed receptive.

I'm sure I'm not the only one either, as he appears to have been replying to a lot of people of late, but there are few people who know enough about the exact legal issues at hand who can put forward an argument that may change his view.

If his inbox is now being flooded with abuse, it cuts off this opportunity for people to get through to him; it's not "too late" now that the SI is signed in, as there is still a whole copyright law review going on.
    Who on earth said 'they' are?
    http://pastebin.com/jBh9xAKg

Overall, people have the right to vent their anger etc., but it really would be nice if people could try to turn some of it away from abuse, and into constructive attempts at looking at the law he just signed in, learning the exact implications of it, and then trying to communicate those specific issues to him and other politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

That's just a dox, here's a more comprehensive one on him alone sure http://pastebin.com/MbyCSqTx,

It's just information that's freely available on the web, nobody's being told what to do with it, and these things are usually an attempt at a show of muscle. If I recall correctly Anon (amongst others of higher repute) were pushing people to contact him before it passed, but aren't now, so if they were really going to have an impact on your communications it would have been for him never to respond to you in the first place.

The anger venting from anon and others is being targeted at twitter, seansherlock.ie and will potentially spread on to other government related sites, depending on the uptake, it's not a spam exercise.

Maybe a few people who out of some miracle have never come across his e-mail will take it as an invite to spam, but it will be minuscule beside the deluge he received a while back, and you can't blame 'Anonymous' for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I wonder if Sherlock will pull this site for copyright infringement?

http://gobarbra.com/hit/new-cae9b6e0a2328fe0a1f979b346e87191

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

So is there anyway this law can be quickly overturned now or are we stuck with it for a stupid amount of time like that Blasphemy Law?

Is there a cooling off period where someone might realise that this is a major mistake and throw it out? Although that would entail having a politican that actually knew what they were talking about

2 laws that nobody in the country wanted put through by 2 up their own hole lads looking out for themselves to try and make a name for themselves.

well its worked.

Both will always be rememered for being you know whats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What im curious about is, with a law that affects so many irish people why did we not get a say? Its horse manure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

danniemcq wrote: »
    Is there a cooling off period where someone might realise that this is a major mistake and throw it out?

30 days from when it is signed AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Vicxas wrote: »
    What im curious about is, with a law that affects so many irish people why did we not get a say? Its horse manure

There was a pledge in the FG manifesto to:
    'clarify the laws relating to on-line copyright infringement and the enforcement of rights relating to digital communications'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Fck emailing this <snip>… To all boardies living in mallow and or North Cork call into his office and tell him exactly how you feel it's very easy to set your email account to ignore emails containing key words or treet them as spam.

I am a frequent user of the Airsoft forum wherein we have a thread for new developements and releases where people would normally post pictures and quote articles or even quote retailers when a bargain is released but due to this abstract legislation it had to be closed until the legal team could actually get a grip of what is and isn't ok but it's likely that in the future we will have to seek the permition of the auther or retailer in future which is just rediculous as this is how Airsoft thrives through forums like ours and that news thread. There's no money to be made off it no ill gotten gains of any sort it's just pure word of mouth simple as but it's being treated as pirating! It's borderline censorship! This legislation is pretty much defining what can and Connot be discussed/ viewed online through so called copyright infringements :mad:

This polititions problem is he's stuck in his fathers shadow and he see's this horrendous mockery of legislation as his legacy, a way for him to make a name for himself and as always in politics putting his ego before his constituents ie me and everyone else in north cork and that reeks of betrayal !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tourism

Not sure if its going to do any good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yesterday was the 4th

yesterday was the 4th
    So somebody didn't update the site the constituency offices are still available… who needs the website to visit the very people who they elected

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sean Sherlock was born under a double rainbow...his word is gospel.

Tourism wrote: »

Well that attitude wouldn't generally do anything or any one any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jsmurff wrote: »

Sean Sherlock will not reply to anyone. And you can bet that these emails will be marked as spam... Same content over and over again will get blocked immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

smash wrote: »
    Sean Sherlock will not reply to anyone. And you can bet that these emails will be marked as spam... Same content over and over again will get blocked immediately.
    There's something to be said for letterbombing in the tangible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

What I don't understand about this is why Google, Facebook who have their European HQs here and we maybe getting Twitter as well, why are they so silent about this. I am 100% certain this minister had some sort of consultation with them before the drafting of this law. How come they don't seem to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

44leto wrote: »
    What I don't understand about this is why Google, Facebook who have their European HQs here and we maybe getting Twitter as well, why are they so silent about this. I am 100% certain this minister had some sort of consultation with them before the drafting of this law. How come they don't seem to mind.

They pay royalties and payments to the content owners through partner schemes etc.

Boards.ie for example, does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

TheDoc wrote: »
    They pay royalties and payments to the content owners through partner schemes etc.

Google images and search results... no they don't. And facebook allows anyone up upload anything and gets around any copyright issues because anything you upload, you automatically hand over the copyright to them.

smash wrote: »
    Jsmurff wrote: »

Iam within walking distance of the office on weekdays he can't hide forever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

44leto wrote: »
    Google are represented by the ISPAI in Ireland, and I think ISPAI have had meetings with Sherlock so they're probably discussing it behind closed doors.

I'm not sure about the others but I'd suspect similar goings on.
    TheDoc wrote: »

The legislation still opens them up to injunctions as, for example, Google acts as an "intermediary" in providing copyrighted material illegally. Facebook, Twitter etc. also do when users post links to streaming sites, downloads, etc. They don't pay royalties in these cases as far as I'm aware (I'd be pretty certain Google definitely doesn't, and I can't imagine Facebook or Twitter do either).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seachmall wrote: »
    Google are represented by the ISPAI in Ireland, and I think ISPAI have had meetings with Sherlock so they're probably discussing it behind closed doors.

The ISPAI have spoken out publicly against the SI. - http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/25634-isps-speak-out-against-lega

Google etc have to be fairly careful with what they independently say about it, they'd face bigger problems than the SI itself if they appeared to be attempting to influence Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The ISPAI have spoken out publicly against the SI. - http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/25634-isps-speak-out-against-lega

Google etc have to be fairly careful with what they independently say about it, they'd face bigger problems than the SI itself if they appeared to be attempting to influence Irish law.

But they wouldn't have been seen to do so, all they would have had to do is call the minister or the Taoseagh and say, we don't like this law it will make doing business in Ireland to difficult and then the law would have been quietly dropped.

But obviously they didn't, that bit I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Whole thing seems kind of pointless. People can still walk into their local Xtra Vision, gives a neighbours or someone they knows name and address and use that to steal all the copywrited stuff they like. Is something going to be done about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kefa

Advertisement