Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

works for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Cached?

Reported as being DDOSed, and I can't access it-isitdown sez otherwise, but that's no guarantee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, it's up and down, being DDOS'd. They've even posted the tools on twitter.
    https://twitter.com/#!/OccupyAllSt/status/176813470556225536

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Lol...they are all over the Rubberbandits new video!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Overheal wrote: »
    works for me
    fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Sean Sherlock is responding using seansherlock@hotmail.com as I sent an email to his Oraichteas email and he responded using that address.

He is snarky and cheeky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Sean Sherlock is responding using seansherlock@hotmail.com as I sent an email to his Oraichteas email and he responded using that address.

He is snarky and cheeky.

Post up his response

Finally we get some media coverage http://stryfl.com/lns

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

This is my mail exchange with the Minister on the matter...

Hi Seán,

Congratulations on becoming a US/UK lacky! This law you signed off on is horrible infringment on freedom. Pity the Irish government couldnt make up there own minds on this matter eh? I voted Labour in the general election, I will NEVER vote for your party again after this sly move. I like the way you waited til the referendum news took the headlines before ye slipped this is the back door.

Nice one yeah Seán

What was the content of the law I signed in? Please read copyright review doc.

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Seán,

I am angered at the fact that you passed a SOPA-like anti-piracy legislation! From what I can find, it will allow copyright holders to request court injunctions against websites and social networks deemed to be hosting pirated content. Ireland will start getting limited internet access and that is yet another piece of freedom taken away from our people.

I'm actually suprised that you we're allowed pass the legislation without a referendum. Because this is more important than Fiscal in my opinion.

I wonder if the US or the UK never thought of the SOPA idea, would you or the Irish government be the ones to create and implement it? Don't think so!

Regards,
    Seán

That's not what I did at all. Read the consultation document oncopyright an then come back. You're sadly misinformed.

Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Seán,

If you think I have been misinformed, please explain to me what you did? And where I am off the mark? Perhaps send me what you signed in a PDF doc?
    You are apart of the government I voted in, and with that vote you signed this without regard to public opinion!
    (Which is clearly against this legislation!)

Fair enough I started this mail exchange in a bad manner, but that was because, never in a 100 hundreads years did I expect a reply, let alone you actually read my mail. For this, I appreciate, and fair play to ye, but it dosn't change my stance on what you signed and how you did it!

This legislation stinks and the fact that it went into law with ease shows me that voting for a FG/L government was a really bad choice... This decision making really makes me fear for the future of our country!

Regards
    Seán

4 days and counting and I am still waiting on my answer... cheeky little fook isnt he?

Post up his response

I am not sure if I can, or if I should tbh.

What he sent is very cheeky and not helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Sherlocks response to every criticism is to read the document.

Hes like a 14 year old playing Quake

Not only was it childish "read the doc" it was also sly insults about "cop on" and "whats your number I can ring you and discuss the abc's of copyright" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

can you pm me his official contact details that he responds to please?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Someone said he's replying to (or was replying to) seansherlock@hotmail.com a few posts up but we don't know if utopianruins used that address

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Nice to see the politicians listening to the people who got them into office...

They might have listened if the people had spoken earlier.

Kicking up a fuss about it 10 mins before it's signed was a waste of time.

Too little to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

On page 50 of the consultation paper it states this:
    Moreover, Irish law does not yet provide a means by which a rights-holder can get an injunction against an ISP whose customers are infringing copyright. However, as we said in chapter 3, there is a parallel consultation about this issue and we will not address it further in this Review
    also on p.49 it invites opinions on whether this scenario should be the case:
    For the avoidance of doubt, it is not an infringement of the rights (conferred by this Part) to provide a link on a page on the internet which connects with a work elsewhere on the internet.

however Sean Sherlocks legislation specifically states:
    The owner of the copyright in a work may, in respect of that work, apply to the High Court for an injunction against an intermediary to whom (...the relevant law...) applies.

In the consultation paper both ISPs and websites like Google, Facebook and Boards appear to be described as "intermediaries"

And all things considered, does the consultation paper really have anything to do with the SI anyway? Do judges have to consider the consultation paper? (it doesnt appear to be the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ColHol wrote: »
    On page 50 of the consultation paper it states this:

also on p.49 it invites opinions on whether this scenario should be the case:

however Sean Sherlocks legislation specifically states:

In the consultation paper both ISPs and websites like Google, Facebook and Boards appear to be described as "intermediaries"

And all things considered, does the consultation paper really have anything to do with the SI anyway? Do judges have to consider the consultation paper? (it doesnt appear to be the case)

That consultation paper has nothing to do with the SI

Now I am open to correction, but does the EMI vs UPC decision (http://www.scribd.com/doc/39104491/EMI-v-UPC) and this SI not mean that our courts will likely weigh in heavily in favor of the Music Industry and other copyright holders on any website that does not pay its way out of the potential copyrighted material that passes through it?

Basically the conclusion of that case was they could not provide injunctive relief but it was called for in that particular case.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Someone said he's replying to (or was replying to) seansherlock@hotmail.com a few posts up but we don't know if utopianruins used that address

I did yeah. I was suprised I actually got a reply to be honest

seansherlock@hotmail.com is not his account. The alternate email address on the account is: gl*****@hotmail.com

Come on people...

• Advertisement

He replied using that address with an email I submitted to his website form, so unless that information was leaked/stolen then that is his account.

In all his correspondence in the Dáil and elsewhere he states he is open to discussion but he will not change the wording and that this SI is just re-iterating what was in law before but on the other hand it is needed to be in compliance with the EU directive despite both those statements being contradictory?

smash wrote: »
    seansherlock@hotmail.com is not his account. The alternate email address on the account is: gl*****@hotmail.com

Come on people...

Well I mailed him threw his site and his reply came from the hotmail account.
    If this is fake, well then there is one very sad person out there pretending to be SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

am following this from abroad - but I have been checking the RTE news website and can't see any articles about the uproar he has caused. Did I miss the ariticle or are RTE deliberately ignoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

am following this from abroad - but I have been checking the RTE news website and can't see any articles about the uproar he has caused. Did I miss the ariticle or are RTE deliberately ignoring?

Ive seen links to a couple of articles on RTEs site but theyre usually ones buried deep down the site.
    This is one
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0229/copyright.html

I've no doubt in my mind it's being censored, even by Twitter. The trendmap for Ireland showed the hashtag #resignseansherlock (on sunday) and #wesaidnosherlock (monday) trending all over Ireland but it never appeared on Twitter. Many tweets were sent and retweeted directed at the media Twitter accounts, RTE news, TodayFM, Newstalk, all the papers etc. so they definitely got notification of the campaign we've been running. Still little mention, censorship at its finest.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've no doubt in my mind it's being censored, even by Twitter. The trendmap for Ireland showed the hashtag #resignseansherlock (on sunday) and #wesaidnosherlock (monday) trending all over Ireland but it never appeared on Twitter. Many tweets were sent and retweeted directed at the media Twitter accounts, RTE news, TodayFM, Newstalk, all the papers etc. so they definitely got notification of the campaign we've been running. Still little mention, censorship at its finest.
    Why would Twitter censor that? They have no reason to.

Not sure, maybe because they were asked to by someone in power or have some sort of facility in place. Twitter have been making changes and do censor now.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16753729
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/28/twitter-censorship-and-the-future-of-authoritarianism-in-a-high-tech-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

matrim wrote: »
    That consultation paper has nothing to do with the SI

This, a thousand times over, I want to scream it in his face, every interaction anyone has with him he blocks with that, and not only does he block with it, he does so in a manner to suggest you're the uninformed one, lousy git.

I don't think they intentionally did, like you I don't see why, the first hashtag was literally being spammed everywhere, put in tweets with no content, retweeted repeatedly etc. I think twitter probably have something in place to prevent manipulation of what's 'trending' in the same way google have measures in place against google bombing. Wasn't online to see the second one but I can't imagine it's producing a high percentage of significantly unique tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Not sure if this has been posted:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17270817

:(

• Advertisement

I think we are looking at the very real possibility of ISP's and I.T companies pulling out of here...

Advertisement