Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat B license and Motorhome weight

• 29-02-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm eyeing up a MH that has 3500KG stamped on the badge on the engine bay, so right on the brink of a Cat B license, which I got in 2004. I'm wondering am I entitled to drive this - as I'd imagine when I load it up with people & contents, it will be over 3500Kg.
    Advice much appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The licence refers to unladen weight so you are okay.

edit scrub that http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland.html

looks like total weight is 3.5 tonnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

ok, thanks Mike65- but I wouldn't mind a few more opinions on this. I know dealers are the guys selling, and they'd say anything is grand - but I've been told by them all that the vast majority of MH's will fall under a Cat B license. The one I'm eyeing up is a 5/6 berth, 21ft long - 3ft shorter than the 6/7 berths that are out there. Surely it isn't the case that all these owners have had to go and do tests for a C license?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vinniem

mike65 wrote: »
    The licence refers to unladen weight so you are okay.

This is incorrect, the licence refers to GVW (Gross vehicle weight) and if your camper is plated as 3.5t then your fine on a B licence (Car lic) but this is the maximum weight i.e. unladen + payload and cannot exceed 3500kg. So if your unladen weight is say 3150kg then you can only load 350kg of payload and that includes you and your passangers! If it comes in over 3500kg then you are technically driving on wrong licence and dangerously as driving an overloaded vehicle. B lic is up to 3500kg GVW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah like I said
    edit scrub that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The image below is a typical VIN plate, usually fixed by rivets under the bonnet. If the first weigh is over 3,500 kg but not over 7,500 kg a category C1 licence will be required, 3,500 kg or less a category B is sufficient.

To help determine what licence is required for a vehicle see below with reference to the attached picture of a VIN plate

The first weight will be the Gross Vehicle Weight (the maximum to which the vehicle can be legally loaded)
    The second weight will be the Gross Train Weight (the maximum legal combined weight of the vehicle and a trailer)
    The third weight (1) will be the maximum weight axle one (front) is permitted to carry
    The fourth weight (2) will be the maximum weight axle two (rear) is permitted to carry
    A fifth weight (3) will be listed if the vehicle has two rear axles

Using a vehicle in a condition where any of the above weights is being exceeded is always an offence, penalties vary from country to country and insurance cover can be invalidated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vinniem

Agree with Niloc1951, all these weights on VIN plate which can be on door pillar or other location on van. Then there may be another plate under the bonnet with an upgraded weight i.e. Coach builders take a standard van chassis and upgrade suspension springs brakes etc to carry a higher weight (up the GVW) The main figure you need to worry about is GVW and this cannot exceed 3500kg on B licence.. anybody that says anything else is simply wrong. And yes dealers will tell ya oh yeah your grand on a B licence but if its over 3500kg GVW this is irresponsible of them as driving with wrong licence is a serious offence here and is heavily policed in France and rest of Europe. I have been through all this and found out the hard way,had to get C licence. This is costly enough but nice to have it also.

grand, thanks a mil. The very 1st figure is 3500, so sounds like I'm ok. thanks

thinking about it a bit more - the GVW may be 3500KG - but how do I know what the actual unladen weight of the MH is? If the unladen weight is 3400Kg, 2 people stepping on board would push it over the limit surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

kelbal wrote: »
    thinking about it a bit more - the GVW may be 3500KG - but how do I know what the actual unladen weight of the MH is? If the unladen weight is 3400Kg, 2 people stepping on board would push it over the limit surely?

Spot on - go to the top of the class.
    It is also a good idea to spend €10 to get the actual weight checked when loaded up with all the usual kit including water and gas on board including passengers and driver.

Here on the ould sod I have never seen the Garda checking campers but abroad there is a good enough chance of getting checked.

Advertisement