Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Hardship Form?

Options
  • 29-02-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I'm applying for a medical card and my GP asked me to get a medical hardship form. I would ask my GP but he is incredibly busy and getting in contact with him is near impossible without an appointment. Does anyone have any clue what this is or where I can find it? I've google'd it and looked around the the HSE website but can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

p.s sorry if this is the wrong board to post this on, I haven't a clue where I could go with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

I don't think there is a particular form for medical hardship, you need to apply for your medical card and when you send in your application form, they will send you a form for your g.p. to complete this is what happened to my partner who has uncontrolled epilepsy. Make sure you state your medical condition on the form and make sure you send all the relevent information they request. Word of warning we applied for his medical card renewal at the end of october, beginning of november and got one request for further financial info and sent that in the first week of Jan. I checked the status of his application last week and they basically only opened the envelope 14th feb. It was obviously sitting there unprocessed. The status is now stating its in progress. Thankfully he qualified for the long term illness book and we can get his meds with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

This is NOT an authoritative reply - I'm just someone who got a card (no longer have it) on this basis a few years ago.

Medical cards may be given to people who are suffering "Medical Hardship", even if they do not qualify on financial grounds. These cards are generally given only to the individual (Medical cards normally apply to the entire family).

I suggest that you apply for the card, in the normal fashion, and include details of your condition, ongoing and impending treatments and possible costs, if you have an idea of them. If your income is above the threshold for the card, you *WILL* be turned down, on financial grounds. This is just the gatekeepers doing their job - which is to make a financial assessment on your application.

You then need to appeal this refusal. When you're appealing, it may be necessary, get one of your local T.D.s - better still a Minister - (you may need to go to one of their political 'clinics' to see them) and get them on your case. I know it's b***sh*t getting the politicians involved, but it's your health and you, as I did, may feel it necessary to do everything to ensure an outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Advertisement