Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live Indie Games Recommendation Thread

Options
  • 29-02-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭

Ok, even though we are talking about games here, they are all on the 360 and the games section can get crowded anyway.

What Indie games have impressed you the most? yes, you can get Indie games in Ireland but you have to setup a UK account. I'm using my canadian account right now because well, im in canada! here's my first recommendation....OSR unhinged.

its trials HD only and its only 80 points! well, not quite but read on. heres a link to a review of the game and youtube video.

http://xboxindiereviews.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/trials-hd-the-indie-game-first-impressions/

Im playing it right now, its a good little game, it doesnt compare to Trials HD but at 1/15 of its price, it certainly isnt bad and very playable. Graphics are simple but well done and the stock music isnt bad. well worth a measly 80 points.

what are your recommendations? I have a few more but I want others to contribute first, :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

right, looks like I'm on my own at the moment so time to reveal another Indie gem and again at only 80 Microsoft Points.

DLC QUEST

dlc_quest_13.jpg

Have you ever been fed up of DLC? Games missing entire sections that require DLC, a weapon you can't acquire because you bought the game in HMV instead of Gamestop, stuff that should be in the game in first place!!!??

Well, DLC Quest is bascially a simple platformer satire that takes the mick out of the way DLC has become so ridiculous as well as other conventions of gaming.

You begin as the Hero who can only move right, no sound, no jump, no animation, nothing!

In order to progress, you need to collect coins in order to purchase in-game ''DLC packs''. The very first pack you buy is a ''Jump'' pack, lol! You can also earn Awardments, the game's pisstake of acheivements.

I loved DLC Quest for what it was. Its not a hard game, there are no ways to die and the platforming isnt hard. The game itself will only take at most an hour to fully complete but considering the price of the game, thats fair to me.

The length of the game has been suspect to some native comments from Internet troll but I believe its perfect because the game is so simple, any longer and the game would have become tiresome. Once the awardments are earned and you have got both endings, you wont ever need to play it again.

It is what it is, a fantastic Indie game that genuinely made me laugh quite a bit, this is a funny game.

This game is only 80 Points, what are you waiting for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Azure_sky wrote: »

ha ha cool song, looks like a good game too although not my cup of tea, its like an rpg/zelda, something like that?

thanks for the recommendation, first one not from me! im playing a bit of Headshot 2 at the moment, will post up a mini review of it in a few days or maybe later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Yeah it's an old skool JRPG, more like FFVII than Zelda. Great if you like that sort of thing. I have a fair few indie games. I'll try to do a mini review blitz on this thread next week if I have time.

yeah do, the more user recommendations, the better. its not that easy to find out whats good so it would be cool to have the best games mentioned in one thread like this one.

• Advertisement

xboxboxart.jpg

the new xbox live indie game recommendation-

Headshot 2- 80 Microsoft Points

An excellent little game here from a gang called Silver Dollar Games.

Headshot 2 isn't a complicated game. But it doesn't need to be. Remember Point Blank on the Playstation 1? this is somewhat similar. Its a sniping game where you are told in the opening menu that you are "the best sniper this city has got!" and you need to stop the terrorist who is in disguise, disguises that vary from cops, clowns, cleaning ladys, air hostesses, all kinds of everything really.

Headshot2001.jpg

In each level, you get a picture of the target and you need to snipe that character in a limited amount of time. Each target is shown on a faux iphone. Simple, right? Well, at the beginning it is but as the levels get higher in number, so does the amount of characters on screen and it takes speed and precision to execute the target. After level 30, you unlock Hardcore mode which basically starts you off from level 30 on instead of level 1.

Another nice dynamic is that whenever you get a nice shot between the target's eyes, you get an accuracy bonus and a cool slow-mo of your headshot. This can get tiresome after a while though, especially when you get better at the game and do a few of them in a row.

lg_screen2.jpg

Headshot 2 is a simple game but the beauty is in the finer details, the controls are terrific, no lag whatsoever, so quick and responsive. the zoomed out view is quick and loose so that when you see your target, it doesn't take long to take aim but the scope zoom view is nice and stiffer, allowing for better shots. If you miss, it never feels like the game's fault, it's your fault and I like it that way!

Also the graphics are nice, simple but very clear and functional and the backing music tracks and the Voiceover on the menu who also encourages throughout your run are very cool and fit in perfectly.

+Nice Graphics, clear and defined
    +Music and Voiceover are excellent
    +Controls are perfect, extremely responsive and quick
    -No Xbox Live Leaderboards, only local
    -No extra modes or mini-games(Hardcore mode just skips you onto lv.30 from normal mode)

In a nutshell: Buy it! It's a very simple game but it can suck you in for a while, I've definitely put in a few hours into the game and at such a low price, it's great value for money.

Advertisement