Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Build HTPC + Skyrim

Options
  • 29-02-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

I have attached a screenshot from hardwareversand. Looking to leave an upgrade path for this but have queries, will skyrim run on that cpu? Seems to have gotten some good recommendations if you are just running media etc.

This will be plugged into a 32" telly, so 720p not too taxing on the graphics card and presumably PSU either.

I might use it as a work computer down the line, hence can swap in an i5 or something, my main concern is the G530 ok for now, wont be playing many games outside of skyrim, mostly older ones picked up in steam sale.

Budget has a small bit of flexibility left so if there is something you would change let me know. Plan to add another 2tb whenever the prices come down again but no rush until then.

Edit: Didnt realise the last thing is obscured in the screengrab - its windows home premium for €86. The total is €604

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Celeron will really be underpowered. Whether it will actually run Skyrim is going to be very hard to guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

drop the psu to the 450W version, which is still loads for that build, and up the CPU to at least the Pentium G620. could you squeeze an i3 into your budget? skyrim is a very demanding game..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is there a large difference in performance between the pentium and the i3 dual core?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Scrap it, might upgrade later on in the year, but going to scrap the games side of it for now. so SSD and graphics card gone, changed to the 450W PSU and upgraded to the pentium.

Thanks for the help lads, budget was just running out of control when i went for the higher spec!

Advertisement