Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farm work new zealand and ozz

Options
  • 29-02-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

hey all just looking for your opinions as your all great for advice :)
    im going to new zealand in october but have no farming skills but i would like to have a bit of training before i go it might help me get a job over someone with no experience

i got in touch with someone from boards thru the farming forums and im going to give him a hand on a dairy farm for free on a voluntery basis to gain experience milking cows ,feeding them and tractor lessons

is this the right thing to be doing?
    any other ideas for me
    will it help me over in nz and ozz

thanks for all the previous help and fair play to all the mods and users:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

jamiecoins wrote: »
    hey all just looking for your opinions as your all great for advice :)
    im going to new zealand in october but have no farming skills but i would like to have a bit of training before i go it might help me get a job over someone with no experience

i got in touch with someone from boards thru the farming forums and im going to give him a hand on a dairy farm for free on a voluntery basis to gain experience milking cows ,feeding them and tractor lessons

is this the right thing to be doing?
    any other ideas for me
    will it help me over in nz and ozz

thanks for all the previous help and fair play to all the mods and users:)

Hi, was there 10 years ago and I had enough of the drinking and work scene in the city... I went to a crowd called visit oz and they thought me the basics of farm work, from riding horses and mustering cattle to general duties.....
    Stayed there for a week and they also guarantee to find you with after it..

I ended up being a crop sprayer for 4 months in a place called Walgett, and I had a ball.

Check out there website here http://www.visitoz.org/ and best of luck pal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

NJS007 wrote: »
    Hi, was there 10 years ago and I had enough of the drinking and work scene in the city... I went to a crowd called visit oz and they thought me the basics of farm work, from riding horses and mustering cattle to general duties.....

I ended up being a crop sprayer for 4 months in a place called Walgett, and I had a ball.

Fair play mate. Its nice to see someone using some initiate to give themselves a head start before they get out here.

If you take to the farming and have a right attitude, you should do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

Sundy wrote: »
    Fair play mate. Its nice to see someone using some initiate to give themselves a head start before they get out here.

If you take to the farming and have a right attitude, you should do well.

sound for that should be helpin the farmer next week lovely 6 am starts lol but all for the greater good of maybe driving a tractor in the sun for a few months after some hard work :pac:

NJS007 wrote: »

looks like a good site not sure ill have 2k to part with but in way a guarnteede job sounds very good 3 month regional work covered:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭NJS007

Looks like a good site not sure ill have 2k to part with but in way a guarnteede job sounds very good 3 month regional work covered:)[/Quote]

Sorry, I never even looked at the site. In 2001 it cost me AUD$500 and as I was down to my last few bob out was the option for me to get out of the city and learn about about life in the bush.....

The guaranteed job placement was the selling point for me but I am sure there are other sites out there that are possibly similar to visit oz

• Advertisement

i must have a search on google see if theres any more companys like this
    hopefully cheaper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Heya,
    Do you mind me asking why you want to do farming? What have you experience in?

supermouse wrote: »
    Heya,
    Do you mind me asking why you want to do farming? What have you experience in?

have no experience just something i would like to try over there . im unskilled just a few years as blocklayers/plasterers labourer and scaffolding so the only work ill probably get is fruit picking or farming and who knows if i pick up a few skills doing it i might have a chance of getting some farming work when i get back home .:pac:

Advertisement