Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish Driving License

• 29-02-2012 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Great to see the back of our current embarrassing pink cardboard license and its to be replaced with a 'cool' new credit sized model.
    Can't find link or picture but i'm sure somebody will soon enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is it finally out?

I'd actually like one as I am sick of carrying around that big huge pink thing!

I know the French have it too, but I think they've phased / are phasing it out too. (Theirs is even worse, it's usually not laminated and the photo is kind of stapled on hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Dr Expired wrote: »
    Great to see the back of our current embarrassing pink cardboard license and its to be replaced with a 'cool' new credit sized model.
    Can't find link or picture but i'm sure somebody will soon enough.

Do people give a toss about the colour of their driving license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My driving licence is green. :confused:

I better not have to get a new one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

It's not the colour that's the problem, it's the size of the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I assume most places will still refuse it as proof of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is quite possibly the most important development of the year so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sarn wrote: »

It's grand. Just fold it & stick it somewhere in the glove box.

readmylips wrote: »
    microchipped with all your sins and all. The gardai will probably have the necessary swipe equipment to read them by 2018...given some stations dont even have broadband !!!

Ah now, they'll be getting broadband in 2027. They don't even have dial up at the moment.

That's all fine and well if you've only got the one car!

I have to swap cars now and then, so I end up having to keep it on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

microchipped with all your sins and all. The gardai will probably have the necessary swipe equipment to read them by 2018...given some stations dont even have broadband !!!

• Advertisement

How the **** did that happen? My reply to post #11 went before the post!
    (Post #9)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

Maybe the majority don't care about the colour but its the size and quality of the current one that won't be missed by me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A license that will actually fit in a wallet comfortably. I think Ireland is on the road to recovery now.

faster than broadband solair !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

As long as they don't tell me that I can't have my licence in Irish anymore and force me to accept the English language version I couldn't care less what colour it is.

I had enough shít with those incompetent local authority clowns throughout the years when they said "they didn't have the technology for putting fadaí on Irish names". Arrogant dickheads spending our taxes buying equipment that is incapable of the tiny technical duty of facilitating both languages.

/end rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cue Civil Rights complaints about some irrelevant to life data being stored on the card !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Dr Expired wrote: »
    Maybe the majority don't care about the colour but its the size and quality of the current one that won't be missed by me anyway.

Fair enough, mine stays in the car mainly so the size and shape was never an issue.

The French one is identical driving%20reg2.jpg

It's a crazy document though. It's not usually laminated and it has no expiry date!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

My license is in bits from my days of having to carry it as a form of id to get into clubs

faster than broadband solair !!!

Yeah, my broadband's so fast that my posts actually appear BEFORE I write them. Take that UPC!! Fibre power... so 2011. Subspace communications via a wormhole is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Seems France is also introducing it in 2013.

It stems from an EU directive that requires states to adopt a secure, harmonised system as there are 110 different versions in use at present!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence#New_European_driving_licence_as_from_2013

It's not exactly rushed :
    Implementation

The directive stipulates that members states should adopt laws implementing the directive no later than 19 January 2011. Those laws should take effect in all EU members states on 19 January 2013. All licences issued before that date will become invalid by 2033.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

This is what a Finnish one looks like. Note the expiry date - the person's 70th birthday. No need to renew it until then, unless a doctor sounds an alert.:):)

My daughter, who lives in Dublin, uses one like that.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iI0OkO4qfb4/TpdHo3_WhJI/AAAAAAAABD0/3_5MkI26hsw/s1600/Ajokortti2a.jpg

now all we have to do to get one is register and pay €100 ;)

+ VAT @ 23% and a photo processing charge :D
    + 9.99 Postage and Packaging.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We should have a drinking license. With penalty points. Without it you can't get served in a bar. Set off flares outside supermacs, that's three points. Punch someone in a drunken fight. 3 points. Puking in the street. 1 point. etc. You only get 12.
    You lose em enjoy your fruit based non-alcoholic beverage.

dont forget the INK charge (and ya know how expensive that stuff is !) plus p& P !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i was all for it until the smart card part. I think ill keep my paper licence, the less the lads in blue know the better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    As long as they don't tell me that I can't have my licence in Irish anymore and force me to accept the English language version I couldn't care less what colour it is.

I had enough shít with those incompetent local authority clowns throughout the years when they said "they didn't have the technology for putting fadaí on Irish names". Arrogant dickheads spending our taxes buying equipment that is incapable of the tiny technical duty of facilitating both languages.

/end rant.
    Clearly you speak English so why the fuck do you want it in Irish as well? Jesus Christ you've little to be complaining about.

/end rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Solair wrote: »
    How the **** did that happen? My reply to post #11 went before the post!
    (Post #9)
    I'm noticing that a lot over the last week or so.
    They must have done a software upgrade.

It does make sense to have the harmonised across the entire EU anyway.

At least we won't have any more embarrassing situations like this :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7899171.stm
    The mystery of Ireland's worst driver

Details of how police in the Irish Republic finally caught up with the country's most reckless driver have emerged, the Irish Times reports.

10,000 penalty points for having a pink /green license AFTER the cutoff date !! ;) wait'l ya see.....

10,000 penalty points for having a pink /green license AFTER the cutoff date !! ;) wait'l ya see.....

That's not until 2033 though! But, if you still have a green one (Learner's Permit / Provisional) they'd want to be sending you to get your eyes, hand-eye coordination etc checked!

You'd have been on a learner's permit for 20 years!

€25-€30
    And you dont have to get it replaced until your current licence expires.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/1012/1224305633672.html

I'd say I might nearly invest in one when they come out. I am that sick of carrying around the old one!

• Advertisement

@dillo2k10: i was joking .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Solair wrote: »

+ VAT @ 23% and a photo processing charge :D
    + 9.99 Postage and Packaging.

Big Leo was on about it saving us money , coz instead of 200 staff they only need 60
    , course that'll be passed on
    Wonder why so slow to do it the 140 x 50k = 7million per annum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

They release it now, I just renewed mine last year so 9 more years left with the pink thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sarn wrote: »
    Its not the size of the thing that is the problem, its what's embedded in the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

44leto wrote: »
    They release it now, I just renewed mine last year so 9 more years left with the pink thing.

You will be able to upgrade it as soon as the new one is out, for some sort of fee unknown as yet.

• Advertisement

It's a chip. It'll probably just have your driving license details on it. Loads of cards have chips embedded these days.
    The main reason being it makes them harder / almost impossible to copy.

Clearly you speak English so why the fuck do you want it in Irish as well? Jesus Christ you've little to be complaining about.

/end rant.

Clearly, you're reasonably intelligent, so why on earth do you want to make stupid, ignorant comments denying Irish people a right to deal with their state through Irish and force them to deal with it in your language?

Jesus Christ, you've little to have a chip on your shoulder about. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Yet more control by the EU nanny super state.
    We can't even have our own driving licence now.
    Soon they will be harmonising our passports and removing the harp and Eire from them; to be replaced by EU and the stars.

@dillo2k10: i was joking .........

I gathered that from the smiley face

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Just sent mine off on Monday will I get the new one or the old

stoeger wrote: »
    Just sent mine off on Monday will I get the new one or the old
    The old one, the new one wont be here until the end of the year or start of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Mickysticks I agree with you its people like Dostoevsky with special demands for a Irish language version that has the country robbed at a time when money is very scarce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

From the irish times article:

“You won’t be required to change but we anticipate there will be interest from people who want the new licences,” he said, partly because – subject to written confirmation – Varadkar has been told Ryanair passengers will be able to use the new licence as a form of identification."

Would be good if you can't find/forgot to renew your passport and need to travel in the CTA

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Mickysticks I agree with you its people like Dostoevsky with special demands for a Irish language version that has the country robbed at a time when money is very scarce

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Fieldsman wrote: »

Accomodating Bilingualism from the outset usually does not cost anything extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement