Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish Driving License

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Yet more control by the EU nanny super state.
    We can't even have our own driving licence now.
    Soon they will be harmonising our passports and removing the harp and Eire from them; to be replaced by EU and the stars.
    To be fair, the one we have is a forking joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There already is an EU ID card the national cards are basically standardised. We and the UK (despite New Labour's best efforts) opted out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Solair wrote: »
    It's a chip. It'll probably just have your driving license details on it. Loads of cards have chips embedded these days.
    The main reason being it makes them harder / almost impossible to copy.
    A chip that could eventually disclose information that could be used against you every time your card is scanned within the EU jurisdiction.

There is also the strong possibility that this card will eventually become the chipped EU Identity card by stealth through the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

A chip that could eventually disclose information that could be used against you every time your card is scanned within the EU jurisdiction.

There is also the strong possibility that this card will eventually become the chipped EU Identity card by stealth through the back door.

What kind of information are you so concerned about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

lastlaugh wrote: »
    What kind of information are you so concerned about?
    An example would be traffic violations and public order offences recorded on your ID card license from corrupt police forces abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Sarn wrote: »
    It's not the colour that's the problem, it's the size of the thing.

That's what she said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

We should have a drinking license. With penalty points. Without it you can't get served in a bar. Set off flares outside supermacs, that's three points. Punch someone in a drunken fight. 3 points. Puking in the street. 1 point. etc. You only get 12.
    You lose em enjoy your fruit based non-alcoholic beverage.

I actually think this is a brilliant idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

An example would be traffic violations and public order offences recorded on your ID card license from corrupt police forces abroad.

Hmmm, I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about what corrupt police forces abroad might read from my license all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Under the new EU directive the new licences should be in by jan 18th next with this directive it will also mean anyone who happens to have either a bus/truck category on their licence will only get a 5 year licence.
    I wonder will people who drive for a living or have a hgv/bus category only pay half the price for the licence:rolleyes: considering it's only valid for 5 years,Also would people be happy if your personnel details were giving to a company based in the UK to manufactor the driving licence as what happens at present with people who drive bus&trucks at present.;)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0483.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    The old one, the new one wont be here until the end of the year or start of next year.

What the actual fuck? It's a piece of rectangular plastic! How hard can it be?

(Cue jokes pertaining to the mechanical durability of plastic laminate)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Clearly you speak English so why the fuck do you want it in Irish as well? ----.

Well, if even a Finnish driving licence has "Ceadúnas tiomána" on it, I suppose it's not unreasonable for those of us with some national self-respect left to expect an Irish one to have Irish on it as well. Or have we descended to a new depth of West Britishness?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

See just above 10.01.2055 on the right:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iI0OkO4qfb4/TpdHo3_WhJI/AAAAAAAABD0/3_5MkI26hsw/s1600/Ajokortti2a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Well, if even a Finnish driving licence has "Ceadúnas tiomána" on it, I suppose it's not unreasonable for those of us with some national self-respect left to expect an Irish one to have Irish on it as well. Or have we descended to a new depth of West Britishness?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

See just above 10.01.2055 on the right:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-iI0OkO4qfb4/TpdHo3_WhJI/AAAAAAAABD0/3_5MkI26hsw/s1600/Ajokortti2a.jpg
    So those of us that don't care for the Irish language have no national self respect?

Get a grip FFS, it's a massive waste of money!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

kjl wrote: »
    I actually think this is a brilliant idea.

One day when I run for govt. it'll be rejected in a sub committee meeting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sarn wrote: »
    It's not the colour that's the problem, it's the size of the thing.

That's what she said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That's what she said

You're a credit to the Creative Writing forum.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Damn, sorry dude. I only read page one.

hahah no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

readmylips wrote: »
    microchipped with all your sins and all. The gardai will probably have the necessary swipe equipment to read them by 2018...given some stations dont even have broadband !!!

they check e mails using smoke signals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All this talk about harmonising licenses I feel sorry for Prawo Jazdy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

any update on this ?

really want a solid form of i.d that i can carry in the wallet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

any update on this ?

really want a solid form of i.d that i can carry in the wallet !

Its coming in January if I remember correctly.

Edit: Yes I just checked RTE news and it says on the 19th of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

DylanII wrote: »

followed by a six month delay due to an error no doubt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

This is what a Finnish one looks like. Note the expiry date - the person's 70th birthday. No need to renew it until then, unless a doctor sounds an alert.:):)

My daughter, who lives in Dublin, uses one like that.

my wife has the very same one , she will never have to renew it,
    many times insurance company's and garda have said she must change it for a irish one but she just tells them to take a jump - As a European citizen she can keep it, her finnish one is a much more desirable licence to have

she actually had to train !!! take 2 test's one day driving and one winter night time for snow driving and testing on skid pan - this also includes first aid training ,
    so why in gods name would you want to exchange it for the irish one ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

This is what a Finnish one looks like. Note the expiry date - the person's 70th birthday. No need to renew it until then, unless a doctor sounds an alert.:):)

My daughter, who lives in Dublin, uses one like that.

The UK one in theory is valid until you are 70, sneaky feckers make you update you picture every 10 years though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DylanII wrote: »

Yeah but what year?

Yeah but what year?

January

The UK one in theory is valid until you are 70, sneaky feckers make you update you picture every 10 years though

Not if you keep the old one! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The German licence has no expiry date and never needs updating, plus you never need to sit the test again unless you clock up too many points. So a 90 year who is not fit to drive could take to the motorway. Dangerous imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not if you keep the old one! ;)

You might get away with it if you were Dorian Gray, or spent thousands on cosmetic surgery..

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You might get away with it if you were Dorian Gray, or spent thousands on cosmetic surgery..

Why no picture in the old one

jester77 wrote: »
    The German licence has no expiry date and never needs updating, plus you never need to sit the test again unless you clock up too many points. So a 90 year who is not fit to drive could take to the motorway. Dangerous imo

in a 30 year old beemer doing 150kmh plus! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sindri wrote: »
    My driving licence is green. :confused:

I better not have to get a new one now.

Mine is too and I got mine recently but I don't know if the new size of the license in place in the meantime apply to learner permit holders, it apply to full license holders alright.

Advertisement