Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davy Jones ah well.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i got the greatest hits of the monkees on tape in the early 90's, played it so much it wore down and parents got me a second.. which I copied twice.. and then wore out the second one and both copies

sad news :(
    time for a monkees marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I'm a (daydream) bereaver......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I heard they didn't even write their own songs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Ah feck.

Guess the reunion tour is cancelled. :(

guess so.. unfortunate timing though I woulda seen him as the most dispensable but then probs número uno in a group that was designed to be essentially girly fodder anyhow. Though a reasonable level of actual musicianship in music was also expected; back then.. the door is still open for em to fulfill the tour in tribute. but it's unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

WindSock wrote: »
    I heard they didn't even write their own songs...

Common misconception.

First two albums - all written by others.

After that they did write their own songs - see the albums I've listed above.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Common misconception.

First two albums - all written by others.

After that they did write their own songs - see the albums I've listed above.

Yeah, well...that's not even Michael Nesmiths real hat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Doing the Monkee walk will never be the same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

He's on vocals here right?

Upon seeing the thread title I did get a sense of who, n what this was about btw. Manufactured boybands were actually quality back in the day, just goes to show - and no take that claimants please it's just based on sex appeal today where girls n gays will claim talent but no. just no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Saturday mornings were The Monkees for me.

I also believed Cheer up Sleepy Jean was "cheer up sweet brigene". A brigene (sp?) being the younger version of the girl guides. I thought it was great that he was singing about an Irish girl, so innocent.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

:')

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Check out the album 'headquarters':)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

RIP Davy.

As a kid I Never missed an episode of The Monkeys TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Aw. Good Monkee Memories. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

RIP Davy. Thanks for the good memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Rest in peace.

I loved the programme when I was a child and I loved the music in later life. The Monkees used some great session musicians (Glen Campbell for instance) and had some great songwriters (Neil Diamond). They then went on to play their own instruments and write their own songs. Two members of the band were already musicians but didn't play on their first records, which is actually similar to what happened with a lot of sixties bands. Mr. Tambourine Man by The Byrds for instance only featured one band member, Roger McGuinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

RIP Davey, it seems the legends/originals are all dying out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

There's nothing like a heart attack to put the sting of a cold shaving razor into context.

RIP Davy Jones, my Saturday mornings of old were all about the Monkees & the Banana Splits.

Be at peace,

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Seems it was a false report or else hes Jesus , hes in advanced talks to manage sheffield wednesday according to sky sports news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is he really dead or just monkeying around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes ok, The Monkees were a manufactured pop band

but unlike Take That, Boyzone and Westlife etc at least they could all sing and play instruments and later on wrote their own songs ..they had genuine talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I love the way everybody has quoted songs that were sung by Micky Dolenz or in one case Michael Nesmith when they are praising Davy Jones :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

they're praising davy jones and the songs of the The Monkees, no rule saying only jones sung songs have to be mentioned

here's a davy one

page 11 of The Sun :/ Never saw such a pair of moobs. they look like actual womans tits

fryup wrote: »

There are some neato dance moves in that clip. I must incorporate them into my routine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

here's his audition tape for the monkees

Advertisement