Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pgce primary interview in UEL

• 29-02-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey I have an interview in april for the primary pgce course in the University of east London. The interview involves an english, maths exam. I was wondering if anyone has done the interview already and also how people prepared for the interview (esp. the maths part because havent done maths since secondary school). Any help or advise would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 caoimhin131

Pamela89 wrote: »
    Hey I have an interview in april for the primary pgce course in the University of east London. The interview involves an english, maths exam. I was wondering if anyone has done the interview already and also how people prepared for the interview (esp. the maths part because havent done maths since secondary school). Any help or advise would be great :)

Hey, I'll try help you as best I can from what I remember. I did interview on 18th Jan and got accepted on 3rd Feb. I know can be daunting task going into the unknown process.

Its actually not too bad. In my interview group there was 7-8 people and 2 interviewers. We started by going into room together, submitted our documents and they explained process. We were given sheet with some basic questions and then shown a video of a teacher teaching a class. The questions were based on teachers techniques and what you observed. We were shown it twice and you just filled in answers.

We were ten split into 2 groups and each interviewe observed our discussion. Discussion was scenario were you are student teacher on placement in school and interviewer has given you list of various tasks and you have to discuss and priorities each task. My group was fine. Just say your piece make sure to listen and engage.

Interviewers then conducted one to one interviews. This was fine. Usual questions to expect. Just tell them why teaching is for you, your experiences and what would make you good teacher etc. They will ask about a current educational issue in UK read guardian, bbc and ofsted websites. Think I mentioned use of phonics and the way in which schools are now graded.

Last part is tests. Not too bad. In maths its junior cert honours. Best things I used was bbc bitesize gcse maths on website and some tests on tda website. Algebra, probability, geometry etc. About20-25 short questions.

English was spot spelling mistakes, know your punctuation verbs, adjectives synonyms etc. Not too bad. Tda website has test examples.

I wasn't sure how mine went but I got it in end. Hope this helps. Anything else you want to know no problem, I know it can be a bit daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela89

Thanks for your reply. it was great help! well done on getting a place :) Did they say how many places were on offer for the course?

I was told at my interview that they were increasing the intake this year. There are currently about 300 on the course for 2011-2012. This link seems to agree that there are to be more students for new term of up to 350 http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/538997/7309613.aspx

Goodluck with interview and sorry for late reply. All going well and you get it join our facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/180571142051654/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irishlassie24

Hey Everyone,

This board is very helpful... :)
    I just got word today i have an interview next Tuesday..I'm a tad scared..
    In relation to the current educational issue you have to discuss, do you just pick one and talk about it, or do they ask you one?
    This will be my third interview to study a PGCE in 2years..I want it to be my last :) In my experience i had to complete a lesson, so this group task seems a bit daunting...
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 orange90

Hey Everyone,

This board is very helpful... :)
    I just got word today i have an interview next Tuesday..I'm a tad scared..
    In relation to the current educational issue you have to discuss, do you just pick one and talk about it, or do they ask you one?
    This will be my third interview to study a PGCE in 2years..I want it to be my last :) In my experience i had to complete a lesson, so this group task seems a bit daunting...
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

I have an interview too next Tuesday for the 17th?

Do you get to choose the educational issue youself or do they ask you about a specific one? Also for the maths test will you need a calculator? And finally what should you wear? Smart casual, very smart? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

• Advertisement

Current educational issue is an issue that you choose to talk about. They will just ask you to speak on your chosen issue. Think I talked about low literacy/numeracy levels. BBC and guardian websites will help.

Group discussion is fine. Interviewer just observes the discussion. Make sure your engaging with others and that you're not overpowering or being overpowered by the rest of the group.

Maths you are not to use a calculator. Its GCSE maths.

What to wear? Smart. I wore a suit and tie. The girls dressed smart to.

These links should help. Helped me anyway.

http://www.education.gov.uk/QTS/Numeracy/assessment_engine.html

http://www.education.gov.uk/QTS/Literacy/assessment_engine.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/

Hope goes well for you. Good luck.

Thanks a million for that!!! :)

orange90 wrote: »
    I have an interview too next Tuesday for the 17th?

Do you get to choose the educational issue youself or do they ask you about a specific one? Also for the maths test will you need a calculator? And finally what should you wear? Smart casual, very smart? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey,
    How is all you preparations going?? Nerves kicking in.... :eek: :confused:

Hey just wondering what was the length of time given to complete the maths? :) and also what are the main areas asked in the exam? thanks!

[

Hey,
    How is all you preparations going?? Nerves kicking in.... :eek: :confused:

I am really nervous! Especially about the Maths test as it's not my strongest point.

Still have a lot of prep to do so it looks like a late one tomorrow night :( How is yours going?

Hi Pamela89, I have my interview on Tuesday but I think the Maths and English tests are about half an hour each?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Hey everyone, how did ye all find the tests and interview. Was there last Tuesday too - nervous now about results. We should let each other know if we get it and try and help each other out for when we get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Got word today my interview is on May 4th. I was told my interview is on at 9 am so I'lll probably have to travel over the day before. Anyone know of a good place to stay near Stratford? I'm very nervous!!!

I travelled over the day before too and stayed in the city, it's very easy to get to by tube to be fair! They're still doing interviews! I'm so nervous about results!

LostGirly wrote: »
    I travelled over the day before too and stayed in the city, it's very easy to get to by tube to be fair! They're still doing interviews! I'm so nervous about results!

Don't suppose you remember where you stayed? Yep, they're still interviewing. I applied in early/mid February and I only got the interview notice at 4 today. I've felt sick with nerves since I got the email..I get so worked up over these things. You've probably got it worse thought waiting for an answer :P

Don't suppose you remember where you stayed? Yep, they're still interviewing. I applied in early/mid February and I only got the interview notice at 4 today. I've felt sick with nerves since I got the email..I get so worked up over these things. You've probably got it worse thought waiting for an answer :P

Norfolk towers, Norfolk place, Paddington! Don't stay there but anywhere around there is good location wise ESP if you have the day before to see the city like I did! You can get the tube just around the corner at Lancaster gate right out to Stratford and its just about a ten minute walk to the college then! Out the main entrance, cross the road to a shopping centre walk all the way through it! Our the other side, walk straight up the road through a set of traffic lights and at the second set the college is just there! Simples :-)

Norfolk towers, Norfolk place, Paddington! Don't stay there but anywhere around there is good location wise ESP if you have the day before to see the city like I did! You can get the tube just around the corner at Lancaster gate right out to Stratford and its just about a ten minute walk to the college then! Out the main entrance, cross the road to a shopping centre walk all the way through it! Our the other side, walk straight up the road through a set of traffic lights and at the second set the college is just there! Simples :-)

Haha, grand job. Trying to find the place is one thing off my mind now :)

Haha, grand job. Trying to find the place is one thing off my mind now :)

No , I'd a tricky time finding it cos NOONE knew where it was out in Stratford so hopefully it'll help you! I'd all day to find it, you've to be there early do it's one less thing to worry about :-) best of luck!

No , I'd a tricky time finding it cos NOONE knew where it was out in Stratford so hopefully it'll help you! I'd all day to find it, you've to be there early do it's one less thing to worry about :-) best of luck!

Thanks, think I'm going to fly out the morning before the interview, think I'll head out to the college in the afternoon just so I'll know for the following morning.

I stayed in the Ramada hotel out in Docklands, there's a train station beside it so was handy enough to get into Stratford.

The interview is grand really no need to worry, everyone is really nice. :)

My interview is on the 1st may.... at 9 so will have to travel day before aswell..... really nervous! :confused: hopefully it goes well! would love to be heading for london in september. best of luck to everyone :)

• Advertisement

orange90 wrote: »
    I stayed in the Ramada hotel out in Docklands, there's a train station beside it so was handy enough to get into Stratford.

The interview is grand really no need to worry, everyone is really nice. :)

I hope so :)
    Pamela89 wrote: »
    My interview is on the 1st may.... at 9 so will have to travel day before aswell..... really nervous! :confused: hopefully it goes well! would love to be heading for london in september. best of luck to everyone :)

Good luck on the 1st.

Did anyone have do a presentation on a lesson plan? Some of the older forums on last year's interviews talked about doing this. From the email I got I will have to do a maths test, English test, individual interview (current issue in education will be brought up here), group activity and observe and comment on some teaching.

How hard is the maths for those of you that have done it? Some sample papers make it look too easy. The first thing Google throws up for a Primary PGCE maths test is from Warwick University:

19910 + 108909 =

568.06 – 94.72 =

(2.8 x 1 000) – (3.2 x 100) =

1000.01 ÷100 =

Find the new price of an item which cost £25.20 before a sale, which now has been reduced by 5%

382 x 24 =

151 year 6 children are booked to go on their end of key stage boating experience. The risk assessment analysis state there can be no more than 4 children in each boat. How many boats are needed?

Other forums I've looked at seem to suggest it will be harder than these style questions.

I hope so :)

Good luck on the 1st.

Did anyone have do a presentation on a lesson plan? Some of the older forums on last year's interviews talked about doing this. From the email I got I will have to do a maths test, English test, individual interview (current issue in education will be brought up here), group activity and observe and comment on some teaching.

How hard is the maths for those of you that have done it? Some sample papers make it look too easy. The first thing Google throws up for a Primary PGCE maths test is from Warwick University:

19910 + 108909 =

568.06 – 94.72 =

(2.8 x 1 000) – (3.2 x 100) =

1000.01 ÷100 =

Find the new price of an item which cost £25.20 before a sale, which now has been reduced by 5%

382 x 24 =

151 year 6 children are booked to go on their end of key stage boating experience. The risk assessment analysis state there can be no more than 4 children in each boat. How many boats are needed?

Other forums I've looked at seem to suggest it will be harder than these style questions.

No presentation on lesson plan!
    First there was a video played of a teacher in a class! You were given a sheet with three questions the most important one being: what techniques was the teacher using? Your answers are not looked at but this question is asked in the interview! Then there's a group activity - you are given a lust of tasks and you e to prioritise! Again answer isn't looked at, but your group is observed in how you interact and work in groups! Then there's the interview! There's about 8 questions asked! One is the one I mentioned! One is to talk about a current topic! Others include talking about the challenges/opportunities in working in London city, another is when you showed professionalism in your work! Can't remember the Rest! Then there is Mathis and english exams! The maths was defo more difficult than waft you mentioned above! Think there are sample questions here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/quizengine?quiz=negativenumbers&templateStyle

How did everyone get on? Got offered a conditional place today. There seemed to be a bunch of conditions attached to my offer, the big one being having to sit a maths exam.

How did everyone get on? Got offered a conditional place today. There seemed to be a bunch of conditions attached to my offer, the big one being having to sit a maths exam.

Got offered a conditional place last week, have sent what they were missing but not too sure where it stands now!

Got offered a conditional place last week, have sent what they were missing but not too sure where it stands now!

Well done :) The description of the conditions of my offer wasn't great. For example, they asked for a letter from my university asking to confirm my degree result but I brought my degree certificate, transcripts and photocopies (which they took) to the interview. My leaving cert English, maths and science was mentioned as well but I brought my results along and demonstrated I met the minimum criteria for science and English. I know I didn't meet the maths requirement which is why I hope I'm only stuck with a maths exam. I'll have to email them tomorrow and try and get some clarification.

Well done :) The description of the conditions of my offer wasn't great. For example, they asked for a letter from my university asking to confirm my degree result but I brought my degree certificate, transcripts and photocopies (which they took) to the interview. My leaving cert English, maths and science was mentioned as well but I brought my results along and demonstrated I met the minimum criteria for science and English. I know I didn't meet the maths requirement which is why I hope I'm only stuck with a maths exam. I'll have to email them tomorrow and try and get some clarification.

Congratulations, I got a conditional offer last week too. I have to send a letter from my university confirming degree result etc too. You're probably better off ringing them tomorrow as they had me down to do all the equivalent tests too but it was a mistake they just needed my original Leaving Cert results. He will be able to tell you the exact conditions then over the phone.

Does anyone know what the story is with deffering a place???

I could be just imagining it but I think they said that you couldn't during the interview day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

I know if you gain a place on the waiting list and dont end up receiving a place on the course, you have to apply again if thats any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cudsy1

any UEL PGCE applicants - how long after you submitted your application before you were called for the interview? im thinkin its roughly 2 months minimum?

i read this on an english forum:

I've applied to UEL for the primary PGCE (sent 10th October) and wasn't sure when I'd hear so I decided to get in touch and ask.I contacted primary admissions and they said they won't start interviewing until December. Most of their interviews apparently take place in January however if you applied very early you may be interviewed in December. They give 5-10 days notice for an interview

I'd say you'll probably be called for an interview in January if you applied early. I applied the beginning of December last year and didn't get an interview until April but that's because I was late in applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 notwise

Hey there, I applied exactly at the deadline of 1st December and was called for an interview on January 25th. I think I got the notification about 8 days before the interview and was notified of my place about 3-4 weeks later than that. I really think they would postpone your interview if you were called for one before Christmas. I really don't think they begin the interview process until January though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 youwish

Just found out I have my interview next week and found this forum really helpful.

Anyone else hoping to be part of 2013/2014 intake or any interview tips from past applicants?

Advertisement