Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainwater harvesting thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

the ideal way as explained to me by a company providing them is as follows;collect the rainwater and filter into your tank{i think that he was recommending a uv filter ).this water was then used for showers ,washing machines etc. this used water was then returned to another tank to be pumped for use in toilets. he showed proof that this reduced water usage by approx. 90%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'd definitely include shower, wash hand basin and bath water waste from upstairs to be included, not just what comes off the gutter.
    I plan to measure the shower usage for say 5 minutes, not sure how many litres that is but at one daily (min) per person, its not so bad that I cant use it to flush my toilets.

It means drinking water wont be wasted to flush toilets/be used around the garden/wash the car. I will check the pressure needed at the supply to my power washer, some pressure washers can be used off water butts.

Not sure I'd be so keen to use collected water in my washing machine or dishwasher or to collect water from them or even to re use if for washing in. To re-use in my current set up water from downstairs anyway it would take a bit more remodeling/cost to do than than the upstairs, which may offset any cost benefits.

At the least I can collect off the roof and upstairs washing facilities and not use the understairs toilet, if that can supply my toilet flushing water needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Xanadu67

Hi I'm looking for a replacement black lid for a water butt for my sons primary school. They got it from Fingal County Council the make is blackwell and is 2ft 1in wide. The council no longer have them so I know this is a long shot but any help would be appreciated. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Xanadu67 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for a replacement black lid for a water butt for my sons primary school. They got it from Fingal County Council the make is blackwell and is 2ft 1in wide. The council no longer have them so I know this is a long shot but any help would be appreciated. :D

One of these? If so then would an old fashioned dustbin lid fit? Check the gallery to see the brand name Blackwell.

Rainsaver-Range_edit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

One of these? If so then would an old fashioned dustbin lid fit? Check the gallery to see the brand name Blackwell.

Rainsaver-Range_edit.jpg

The perfect women, A beauty and a passion of harvesting the rainwater.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your responses, checked the bin lid it's not wide enough but thinking of using a piece of wood on top but not sure how to water proof it. Any suggestions?:)

p.s. would love to the perfect anything :P

Thank you for your responses, checked the bin lid it's not wide enough but thinking of using a piece of wood on top but not sure how to water proof it. Any suggestions?:)

p.s. would love to the perfect anything :P

How about a thick material backed plastic with a sewn hem into which some shock cord is threaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i already have the watercollectors on the downpipes, but i am thinking of getting an outdoor shower that could be fed from the shoots, ideal of summer evenings, say a black collector so that it can be heated by the sun, i see myself having a good old scrub and then walking around in the breeze to dry off

How about a thick material backed plastic with a sewn hem into which some shock cord is threaded?

Heh?

Heh?

Not talking about the wood at all.

Like a cannoe spray deck without the hole for the cannoist.

Start by thinking of a plastic sheet over the top with a rubber luggage strap holding in place.

• Advertisement

Will let you know how I get on. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Surely they can get another one off Fingal county council?

Could do with a few more of these barrels now. Could have filled at least 50 of them from the rain last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

eth0 wrote: »
    Could do with a few more of these barrels now. Could have filled at least 50 of them from the rain last night

would an IBC tank not be better?

Glambia €10 each, just ask, but sometimes you have to wait till they turn up.

CamperMan wrote: »
    would an IBC tank not be better?

For some of the downpipes they would be. trouble is i doubt they'd fit in the car, i'd have to borrow a trailer but i'd get one if they were available not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

For some of the downpipes they would be. trouble is i doubt they'd fit in the car, i'd have to borrow a trailer but i'd get one if they were available not too far away

same problem I have, at the time when we had a van it was handy to get the IBC's, now we have a little car, were struggling and we want 3 more tanks..

Glambia €10 each, just ask, but sometimes you have to wait till they turn up.

Tried them and they say they don't do them anymore :(

Tried them and they say they don't do them anymore :(

The Glambia I use don't do them either ;). In fact if you ask half the staff they don't have a clue what your on about but one of the guys in the one I use will try and round up a few for me if needed. Sometimes like now there aren't any available, I know that as my next door neighbor has had an order in for another 2 of them for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

any news on where you can get the 55 gallon plastic drums, other than glambia? thanks

• Advertisement

Can anyone in Wexford confirm or otherwise if the guy down near Newbawn is still selling IDCs and drums?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 WexTex

Yep, he's still selling them. Couldn't give you a price, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    Assuming you've collected rainwater, how would you filter it to be fit for human consumption?

regards
    Stovepipe

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there
    Assuming you've collected rainwater, how would you filter it to be fit for human consumption?

regards
    Stovepipe

Small inline strainer + coarse filter + fine filter + boil it?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Just saw that my local county council are selling water barrels cheap...the barrel with stand and attachment for downpipe all for 40 euros - same gear in woodies is 40 for the barrel, with another 15 each for te stand and fixings.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there

regards
    Stovepipe

Makes a fine cup of tea but we use it primarily for watering plants and as a source of water for flushing toilets if the mains goes, but even then thats only because the water butt is nearer than the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 deergrove

for human consumpsion boiling is the cheapest otherwise if you want an automated process then (pump it through ) sediment filter ,carbon filter , UV filter at this stage you can shower in it then reverse osmosis for drinking ...

there are other options but these are the ones our company comonly fit

price wise uv and 2 filters 500 plus fitting
    reverse osmosis as above
    yearly maintance circa 200 ! bulbs and filters call out charge ect
    just as a guide

BTW i fit rainwater systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

bonniebede wrote: »
    Just saw that my local county council are selling water barrels cheap...the barrel with stand and attachment for downpipe all for 40 euros - same gear in woodies is 40 for the barrel, with another 15 each for te stand and fixings.

what county council is this? how did you see it?

Anyone any ideas where i'd get the large (200litre) blue barrels cheap/free??

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Merch wrote: »
    what county council is this? how did you see it?

Anyone any ideas where i'd get the large (200litre) blue barrels cheap/free??

Dun laoghaire -rathdown have them at ballyogan - the rain barrels and fittings for 40.
    I saw them while at the dump buying a composter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 sparxz

Has anyone here looked into under ground water storage cisterns with facilities for keeping the water clean.
    The Romans where 'well' (pun) ahead of their time !

I am working on project which I hope I will be able use 'long' term,
    using water for growing food(irrigated), and domestic-house use.

Advertisement