Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City 5 Incoming?

• 29-02-2012 9:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some leaked pictures today seem to indicate Sim City 5 is in the works. God help me if its true, Sims City 4 was excellent and so so addictive.
    A set of seven leaked images assumed to be concept art for SimCity 5 have surfaced today, along with rumors indicating that the game is 30% of the way through development, and will be released in 2013.
    Users at NeoGAF have posted the images as well as a translation from a print edition of German magazine Gamestar, the full text of which, along with the images, appears on a Spanish-language site.
    Loosely and imperfectly translated, the details seem to indicate players can look for an increasing level of complexity, detail, and personalization from the next entry in the franchise, as well as more connection to the online, multiplayer sphere. Regions built from multiple players' cities can be susceptible to, for example, fluctuations in the cost of necessary commodities like coal.
    Beyond the classic interactions with graphs, metrics, and city councilors, they appear to be introducing a more human element. If unemployment in a Sim City is too high, public parks might fill with homeless. When building infrastructure, construction workers actually appear to do the building. Citizens go shopping, to school, or to work.
    Fans have been speculating for a few days now that the "Game Changers" announcement EA is teasing for next week, during GDC, will end up being SimCity 5.
    We are reaching out to EA for comment and will update the story with any response.

sc5002.jpg

More info here.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Awesome. Must dig out sim city 4, haven't played it in a few years - could never get the nack of it the way I could the earlier games (sim city 2 I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

hope this is true and not another hoax like the one a few years back, sim city 4 is the only pc game i still play to this day

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

OMFG :eek::D, shame it's 2013, i want it NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

This is making me want to go back to SC4 again... Which I totally shouldn't because last time I was playing it I completely binge gamed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

I always loved Sim City 4, Hopefully this one will be as good :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

New trailer boasting its multiplayer features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They're also accepting beta signups, but it's not working for me (won't let me upload my dxdiag file).

Strange, worked for me no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

about time

• Advertisement

Awesome gameplay video. Really excited now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Looks AWESOME :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I got my beta email today. Signed up back in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Sim city 5 is gonna be released on the 5th march 2013. cant wait.
    I have had every sim city game since they began on the commodor 64 in the early 90's to now. And every one was better then the last. Untill the dreadful societies came out and it was like they went a million steps backwards it was the biggest come down in the world. After getting the game and playing for a couple of hours i was sick to the teeth an threw it back in the box never to open it again. Now after 10 years of playing the magnificient sim city 4 its back sim city 5 and after looking on some vid on u tube it looks like it will be a proper sequal to sim city 4 unlike societies. Hope justice is done by rewarding faithful sim city fans with the sequal they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

I'm really looking forward to this. I have watched lots of videos on YouTube, just want to play it now.

Was anybody lucky enough to get to play the Beta version, if so thoughts please? Is there anywhere I could look at more commentary videos of the Beta, other than YouTube?

MooShop wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this. I have watched lots of videos on YouTube, just want to play it now.

Was anybody lucky enough to get to play the Beta version, if so thoughts please? Is there anywhere I could look at more commentary videos of the Beta, other than YouTube?

It was good thought there was limited features.

Anywho, there's another closed beta next weekend.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-closed-beta-2-faq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Hopefully I get into this second one! I wasn't a fan at first but after watching the beta videos I can't wait.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anywho, there's another closed beta next weekend.
    Why do I always see these things the day after? :( Thank feck I've other things lined up for the weekend :P

If it's any consolation, it's only a 24 hour long beta for some reason..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

humanji wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, it's only a 24 hour long beta for some reason..

I read that it's only 24 hour because they are trying to test the servers. Their aim is to reduce the playing window so they can get as many people on-line at the same time!

DAMN THEM AND THEIR LOGIC!!!!

Hopefully a couple of disasters will be unlocked for this. I doubt it, but in the last beta my sims weren't worshiping me like the god I was, so I need to smite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Is it the 7th or the 8th that it will be released in Ireland? It says the 7th for Europe but the 8th for the UK. I assume they havent included Ireland as part of the UK as sometimes is the case?

The 8th is Friday, so I'd assume then.

Balls.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Awesome gameplay video. Really excited now :)

How good is this?? No laying pipes of electricity lines anymore? Fantastic!

Just a heads up, I ordered my limited edition copy of Sim City 5 from Zavvi for 42.55. No need to fork out 60-80 quid on Origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Pre ordered off amazon on Sunday. I am a bit worried though. Critic reviews are amazing and averaging at 91% on meta critic. However the user reviews on the same site are abysmal at 2.7/10. Most people complaining about the drm.

Hopefully it's going to be worth it when it arrives next week.

Ignore user reviews for the most part. That's people who haven't played the game and are complaining about the DRM. It's no different to fanboys giving games 100% in reviews before the game is released.

I'd say in general the drm won't be a problem. The first few days of play may be problematic as there will be so many people trying to log in at the same time (the same thing happens with all games that need server activation to play), then will calm down and you'll be easily able to log in.

It's only then that we'll be able to see how the servers react. I'd say they'll be fine and it'll be mostly users connections which will be the problem. It'll probably be for the best if it's a total train wreck though, as that might force them to sort out some sort of offline mode. Though I doubt that'll ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

humanji wrote: »
    Ignore user reviews for the most part. That's people who haven't played the game and are complaining about the DRM. It's no different to fanboys giving games 100% in reviews before the game is released.

I'd say in general the drm won't be a problem. The first few days of play may be problematic as there will be so many people trying to log in at the same time (the same thing happens with all games that need server activation to play), then will calm down and you'll be easily able to log in.

It's only then that we'll be able to see how the servers react. I'd say they'll be fine and it'll be mostly users connections which will be the problem. It'll probably be for the best if it's a total train wreck though, as that might force them to sort out some sort of offline mode. Though I doubt that'll ever happen.

People are moaning about DRM (a genuine concern) but there are also many other gameplay concerns that have been raised.

Advertisement