Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea

Options
  • 29-02-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Should users have it stated whether they are male or female as part of their username. I'm often replying to a thread and would say things like.... "He's right you know, it's amazing"....
    Then said poster would be saying, "er, I'm a woman!!"
    Teddy, ":o Sorry!"

You feel me?
    (I'm a male)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This is the internet, you do something like that and that girl starts getting unsolicited PM's from random people she doesn't know.

And then of course there are the guys who would just claim to be girls, and girls who say they are guy to avoid the first thing happening.

In short, it's completely useless on a relatively anonymous forum to have gender.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anonymity is an important principle of boards.ie, and such identifying characteristics as gender, age, ethnicity, phone number, address, etc., are private and should not be disclosed by boards. What a member shares by post, PM, or on their profile is their business, provided that the Terms of Use or respective forum charters are not violated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I jested at being a 20 year old female in AH recently..... I'm serious when I say the PMs I got were actually kinda weird..... To echo Neil, No!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

MugMugs wrote: »
    I jested at being a 20 year old female in AH recently..... I'm serious when I say the PMs I got were actually kinda weird..... To echo Neil, No!
    Did you really get PMs?

Back to the drawing boards so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Teddy, some day you'll strike gold with a suggestion.

But this.... this isn't it.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Teddy, some day you'll strike gold with a suggestion.

But this.... this isn't it.
    Lol, probably not no! To both!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You mean there are actual real wimminz on the internet nowadays? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Steve wrote: »
    You mean there are actual real wimminz on the internet nowadays? :eek:
    They've recently invented one that's heat and water resistant so is able to be used in the kitchen. Hence the influx of women.

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »
    Not what you'd expect from the mod of the Christianity forum :P

25/M/Dublin/Catholic....you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If posters want others to know their gender, they can put it in their usernames themselves.

WindCockGal92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As a hermaphrodite I am strongly against this suggestion as it discriminates against the intersexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

[off-topic-ish]
    Old/M/Exasperated in Switzerland.

Really - I am astonished at how much time some posters spend in Feedback. This is not 'boards.ie'. Boards.ie is the rest of the site & this forum is for feedback on all the other fora. If a poster spends most of his/her/its time in this forum - how in the name of jaysus can they give 'feedback' on the rest of the site?
    [/off-topic-ish]

[off-topic-ish]
    Old/M/Exasperated in Switzerland.

Really - I am astonished at how much time some posters spend in Feedback. This is not 'boards.ie'. Boards.ie is the rest of the site & this forum is for feedback on all the other fora. If a poster spends most of his/her/its time in this forum - how in the name of jaysus can they give 'feedback' on the rest of the site?
    [/off-topic-ish]
    If boards was a house, feedback is the kitchen where the family catch up in the evenings and decide what to do with that door that won't close properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

would that make prison the naughty step?

I used to work in a company that had an in-house IRC server for people too lazy to ring or walk to another desk. Unfortunately not all of us had the same IRC client so whenever my boss would stick a smiley face at the end of a comment it came up on my client as a/s/l ? and frowny faces came up as love hearts. It was worrying/confusing for a while but then it just got funny :) No way you can take a scolding seriously when it reads like a love letter and questions about if you're available for working late were almost grounds for a sexual harrassment suit...

on topic: absolutely not to the OPs suggestion imho. Users would find themselves judged on their sex rather than their posts, not by all but by enough to make it an issue. Similarly we shouldnt ask users to include their ethnicity or force them to disclose their marital status or religion. Users can share as much or as little information about themselves as they wish (within limits) which can only help promote open discussion, which is what the site is all about after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Zaph wrote: »
    As a hermaphrodite I am strongly against this suggestion as it discriminates against the intersexed.

Bet the "go fcuk yourself" jibes get tiresome :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Either men become exceptionally more pervy online, or more pervs tend to congregate online.

Ask any woman who has "outed" herself online (Jeebus help her if she's posted a photo), and she'll have a small treasure trove of bizarre or downright disgusting PMs from sad and strange little men.

seamus wrote: »
    Either men become exceptionally more pervy online, or more pervs tend to congregate online.

Ask any woman who has "outed" herself online (Jeebus help her if she's posted a photo), and she'll have a small treasure trove of bizarre or downright disgusting PMs from sad and strange little men.
    People say that bu I'm skeptical tbh. Have any females experienced this on boards. Genius plan to out the females :pac:

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

People say that bu I'm skeptical tbh. Have any females experienced this on boards. Genius plan to out the females :pac:

As an ex mod of tLL and having heard first hand from plenty of female Boardsies who have experienced this I can confirm that your scepticism is misplaced. It's a disturbingly regular occurrence unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Should users have it stated whether they are male or female as part of their username. I'm often replying to a thread and would say things like.... "He's right you know, it's amazing"....
    Then said poster would be saying, "er, I'm a woman!!"
    Teddy, ":o Sorry!"

You feel me?
    (I'm a male)

You know, maybe you need to evaluate the language you use? I have tried to stop assuming he/him online and try and keep it generic you/they/this poster etc. Or you could just use the horrible "he/she" but then you risk upsetting Zaph even more and you don't want to make him her it angry.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    You know, maybe you need to evaluate the language you use? I have tried to stop assuming he/him online and try and keep it generic you/they/this poster etc. Or you could just use the horrible "he/she" but then you risk upsetting Zaph even more and you don't want to make him her it angry.
    You know, we wouldn't have this problem in other languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

ShooterSF wrote: »

I used he/she/it once in a light hearted response to a poster who had a very sex neutral name. Yellow card from the forum mod for my troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If boards was a house, feedback is the kitchen where the family catch up in the evenings and decide what to do with that door that won't close properly :)

Problem with that, how do you know a door won't close properly if you don't actually leave the kitchen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

People say that bu I'm skeptical tbh. Have any females experienced this on boards.

While working in the Admin capacity, I have had to deal with (and sometimes site ban) the creepier side of Boards.ie users.
    It is a real issue for some women who have revealed that they are female on this site.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I used he/she/it once in a light hearted response to a poster who had a very sex neutral name. Yellow card from the forum mod for my troubles.
    You got the yellow card for the context in which you used the term, not the term itself (but this isn't the place to discuss your prior indiscretions on an account you closed some time ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Beasty wrote: »
    You got the yellow card for the context in which you used the term, not the term itself (but this isn't the place to discuss your prior indiscretions on an account you closed some time ago)

Not really relevant to the thread maybe? :/

Beruthiel wrote: »
    While working in the Admin capacity, I have had to deal with (and sometimes site ban) the creepier side of Boards.ie users.
    It is a real issue for some women who have revealed that they are female on this site.
    Would it be rare enough though? Have they posted a pic or something first or has it sometimes just happened after they post that they're female.

• Advertisement

Would it be rare enough though?Have they posted a pic or something first or has it sometimes just happened after they post that they're female.

As I posted earlier, it's not a rare occurrence at all. Pics in threads can often be a catalyst, but even a simple comment can be enough depending on the content.

Advertisement