Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single storey Extension to rear of terraced house

Options
  • 29-02-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

this is my first post on boards i hope I'm doing it right :)

i have been getting quotes from builders about a Single storey Extension to rear of my 2 bed terraced house. the size or proposed ext is 168sq ft.

we got a very detailed quote for a very good price, i want to make sure that it sounds up to standard, he has listed the following:

Foundation
    will be 27 inch wide and 18 inch deeptogood ground with steel mesh put into foundation.
    riseing walls will have 9 inch solid and flat with a 9 inch damp coarse under cavity block.
    a 4 stone will be put in under subfloor. we will also sewer pipes to front of new building.
    there will be a 1000 gage roll of damp coarse under a 100ml sub floor with a 100ml king span for insulation.
    riseing walls will be done in 9 inch cavity block with a 4 inch air vent and a standard 9 inch head over door head.

Roof
    7 by 2 joices at a 35 degree pitch to form roof making a 4x4 box opening to carry velux window.
    we will be putting 2 x 1 treated batton with breathable felt and matching existing roof tiles to form new roof with a roll of 9 inch lead and a parapit riseing wall with a 15 inch fether leaf caping

99% of the above spelling mistakes are the builders! not mine! he also goes on about plumbing plastering etc but i understand that part

can someone tell me if this sounds like standard, proper specs, i'd be grateful as it will help me to reach a decison. Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

lojeno wrote: »
    can someone tell me if this sounds like standard, proper specs, i'd be grateful as it will help me to reach a decison. Thanks!!
    its an incomplete specification, is that what you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jimkayak

Hi There,
    If you had plans drawn up you builder should be quoting "Price as per drawings & specifications" I know plans cost money but if you had them your builder would not be quoting for 9" cavity blocks which are good for a garage but not for an extension, you should be putting in a min' of a 3ft wide strip foundations with a 12" wide cavity insulated wall etc.
    It would be wise to see if you could speak to his last few customers to see what he did and if they were happy with his work.

all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lojeno

thanks for the replies, i have been trying to find endorsements of this guy online but haven´t found much. i´ll keep digging. and i´ll question him on the foundation/block width

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

lojeno wrote: »
    this is my first post on boards i hope I'm doing it right :)

i have been getting quotes from builders about a Single storey Extension to rear of my 2 bed terraced house. the size or proposed ext is 168sq ft.

we got a very detailed quote for a very good price, i want to make sure that it sounds up to standard, he has listed the following:

Foundation
    will be 27 inch wide and 18 inch deeptogood ground with steel mesh put into foundation.
    riseing walls will have 9 inch solid and flat with a 9 inch damp coarse under cavity block.
    a 4 stone will be put in under subfloor. we will also sewer pipes to front of new building.
    there will be a 1000 gage roll of damp coarse under a 100ml sub floor with a 100ml king span for insulation.
    riseing walls will be done in 9 inch cavity block with a 4 inch air vent and a standard 9 inch head over door head.

Roof
    7 by 2 joices at a 35 degree pitch to form roof making a 4x4 box opening to carry velux window.
    we will be putting 2 x 1 treated batton with breathable felt and matching existing roof tiles to form new roof with a roll of 9 inch lead and a parapit riseing wall with a 15 inch fether leaf caping

99% of the above spelling mistakes are the builders! not mine! he also goes on about plumbing plastering etc but i understand that part

do you mind me asking what the price per Sq Ft was? no problem if you want to keep that to yourself icon7.gif
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

What size will the remaining garden be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 lojeno

hey ba,

sorry for the late reply

i have to keep 25sqm of a garden to comply with planning regulations, i'm jsut about that so need to do some fairly exact measurements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

how is it going to be insulated (walls)

I wouldn't use 9" blocks - would prefer a cavity wall made from 2x 4" leafs properly insulated, with perhaps insulated slabs also used!

Advertisement