Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most interesting creatures on Earth...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ugly bastards. The Aliens would probably go straight back home.

Hmm, I guess I'd have to pull out the cutest one of them all, the Blobfish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

EGAR wrote: »
    I've got many many favourites in the animal kingdom. The ones that fascinates me the most at present is the Goblin Shark.

Christ, they are ugly yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

1 Man Bear Pig

2 SEXUAL HARASSMENT PANDA

3 Cock Nose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If aliens came to Earth from far far away to investigate the three most interesting creatures which three do you think they would pick?

Let's say humans are a given to be chosen because we can do sums, build stuff, and bake cakes.

What about the other two creatures though? What would the aliens choose and why?

Most humans I've seen can't do one of the above, let alone all three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

J. Marston wrote: »
    Christ, they are ugly yokes.
    Check out the frilled shark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    honeybadger.

the most boss of all animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Honey Badger would chase the Aliens off because he just doesn't give a shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

du Maurier wrote: »

It doesnt give a **** :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My god. We truly live in a wondrous age. Monotremes. Poisonous spikes. Eggs. What next?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Echidnas are small, solitary mammals[4] covered with coarse hair and spines. Superficially, they resemble the anteaters of South America and other spiny mammals such as hedgehogs and porcupines. They have snouts which have the functions of both mouth and nose. Their snouts are elongated and slender. Like the platypus, they are equipped with electrosensors, but while the platypus has 40,000 electroreceptors on its bill, the long-billed echidna has only 2,000, and the short-billed echidna, which lives in a drier environment, has no more than 400 located at the tip of its snout.[5] They have very short, strong limbs with large claws, and are powerful diggers. Echidnas have a tiny mouth and a toothless jaw. The echidna feeds by tearing open soft logs, anthills and the like, and using its long, sticky tongue, which protrudes from its snout, to collect prey. The short-beaked echidna's diet consists largely of ants and termites, while the Zaglossus species typically eats worms and insect larvae.[6]

Long-beaked echidnas have sharp, tiny spines on their tongues that help capture their prey.[6]

Echidnas and the platypus are the only egg-laying mammals, known as monotremes. The female lays a single soft-shelled, leathery egg 22 days after mating, and deposits it directly into her pouch. Hatching takes place after ten days; the young echidna, called a puggle, then sucks milk from the pores of the two milk patches (monotremes have no nipples) and remains in the pouch for 45 to 55 days,[7] at which time it starts to develop spines. The mother digs a nursery burrow and deposits the puggle, returning every five days to suckle it until it is weaned at seven months. The average wild echidna can grow as old as 16 years.[citation needed]

Male echidnas have a four-headed penis. During mating, the heads on one side "shut down" and do not grow in size; the other two are used to release semen into the female's two-branched reproductive tract. The heads used are swapped each time the mammal copulates.[8]

Contrary to previous research, the echidna does enter REM sleep, but only when the ambient temperature is around 25°C (77°F). At temperatures of 15°C (59°F) and 28°C (~82°F), REM sleep is suppressed.

Mother of God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

summerskin wrote: »
    They lick their own shit and then lick you.

Not sure who's less intelligent, dogs or their owners that believe the dogs love them for any reason other than that you feed them.

Had a Border Collie once who saved the life of a neighbour's two year old child by pulling her in off the road after someone left their gate open.
    He could lick as much **** as he liked after that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Hmm, I guess I'd have to pull out the cutest one of them all, the Blobfish!

The blobfish only looks like that because he's been pulled out of the water, where he has to exert external pressure to stop from being crushed by the weight of the water, so when that pressure is lifted, his body collapses.

Here's what he actually looks like. D'awwww!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Axolotls? I love those immortal little guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

http://tardigrade.acnatsci.org/tardigrades/pic311.png

Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of close to absolute zero (−273 °C (−459 °F)),[7] temperatures as high as 151 °C (304 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals,[8] and almost a decade without water.[9] Since 2007, tardigrades have also returned alive from studies in which they have been exposed to the vacuum of outer space for a few days in low earth orbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

http://tardigrade.acnatsci.org/tardigrades/pic311.png

Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of close to absolute zero (−273 °C (−459 °F)),[7] temperatures as high as 151 °C (304 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals,[8] and almost a decade without water.

Awwww, he wants a hug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

The Bowerbird

I saw it on a Attenborough production and it was amazing!

The male bird makes a nest out of berries and animal poo to woo a female into intercourse!

About a years work for five seconds of sex!

The Bowerbird

The male bird makes a nest out of berries and animal poo to woo a female into intercourse!

I know plenty of humans who do the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by Viral Vector viewpost.gif
    The Bowerbird

5 whole seconds he must do it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

If Aliens came here they would Jurassic Park us and take the Raptors home with them and leave us fighting mamoths and what not and watch us on their ET Sky Network, we would probably be a hit with the mutants from the Orion nebula

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's true but cats don't usually try to lick the faces and mouths of humans unlike dogs.
    True, but dogs don't tend to climb all over your kitchen surfaces either. Thank fcuk. Having a full grown alsation on the sink unit would be a bi of a WTF moment.
    smash wrote: »
    I thought Dolphins did? I know they're smarter than whales too.
    Eh humans? Compared to us, cetaceans are swivel eyed windowlickers grunting in the dark.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nothing. Aliens planted us, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My dog only has 3 legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

The Leafy Sea Dragon has to be one of the weirdest creatures I've ever seen. They seem to me so utterly fragile and vulnerable that to even gaze upon them for too long would cause them harm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dem yokes that live around black smokers

mantis shrimp

butterfly

in the same way that Europeans named animals after familiar ones at home, perhaps they'd like something that resemebled their own animals.

on earth we have a lot of convergent evolution so maybe they won't see stuff as being so different.

perhaps the sheer size of a Blue Whale might impress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Full.Duck wrote: »
    Whales!

They have the most sophisticated form of communication on this planet.

There speech patterns (or capability to utilise phonemes), if that is the correct word(?) I think is more complex than humans, but there actual communicative lexicon is not.
    Full.Duck wrote: »
    If aliens came down the first thing to do would be to find the easiest way to communicate with a species. That would be the whales.

Surely the easiest animal to communicate with would be a dog?

Or possibly any other animal that may resemble their physical constraints, so probably humans I'd imagine.

If a whales speech is complex would that not make it harder?

An alien may in fact have quite a primitive command of language as we know it, and possibly the structure of their language may make it seem relatively primitive to ours, our incredibly complex, or maybe even they're telepathic?

The most magnificent animal I am (partially) aware of would be some extinct species related to modern crocodiles. Current estimations for some of there lengths goes as high as 43 feet. I think that's pretty cool. Humans would have found it difficult to become apex predators with these things around. (**** you Chuck, I don't care if it doesn't count because they're extinct, I play by my own rules!)

Also Fungi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Swans,not many left mind you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sindri wrote: »
    Humans would have found it difficult to become apex predators with these things around
    Megalania was a lizard that was a little smaller at 7m , and could have weighed up to 2 tonnes. But unlike a croc it was a land animal. It's smaller cousins today chase down rabbits , it's size and the heat of the outback means it was more or less warm blooded. With a croc you are safe enough when you put some distance between you and the water.

Oh and if that wasn't bad enough it was quite possibly the largest venomous creature that has ever existed. As to why something that big needs poison as well , well that's Australia for you where everything seems to be over kill. Love the way Dylan Moran went on about "swimming knives"

It went extinct around the same time humans arrived in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

ladybug, as elegant as a lady but as cute as a bug:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

RichieC wrote: »
    Ravens and Crows, scary intelligent, tool users in many cases, devilish problem solvers.

As are Kea's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Given that any arriving Alien would be of vastly superior intelligence to anything on Earth they would chat to the Whales & then wipe out the humans & give the planet back to the animals :eek:

We measure "intelligence" using human interpretation. We are just beginning to realise that many animals are highly intelligent. No one could of watched the Bonobo using a sign board to communicate on the recent BBC Program "The World's most intelligent animals" without a sense of wonder. Or the Chimp that can solve problems way quicker than any human. Us dog owners know that our dogs are incredibly perceptive & just because they don't respond to training style tests does not mean that they are unintelligent.

I tend to agree with Stephen Hawking that we should be wary of announcing our prescience to Aliens.

By the way the common Crow is intelligent enough to remember & recognise the face of someone who caught it 5 years ago.

Discodog wrote: »
    Given that any arriving Alien would be of vastly superior intelligence to anything on Earth they would chat to the Whales & then wipe out the humans & give the planet back to the animals :eek:

We measure "intelligence" using human interpretation. We are just beginning to realise that many animals are highly intelligent. No one could of watched the Bonobo using a sign board to communicate on the recent BBC Program "The World's most intelligent animals" without a sense of wonder. Or the Chimp that can solve problems way quicker than any human. Us dog owners know that our dogs are incredibly perceptive & just because they don't respond to training style tests does not mean that they are unintelligent.

I tend to agree with Stephen Hawking that we should be wary of announcing our prescience to Aliens.

By the way the common Crow is intelligent enough to remember & recognise the face of someone who caught it 5 years ago.

I seen that programme Liz Bonnin presented it, but they are all one trick ponies. When it comes to intelligence nothing out there is even remotely close to humans. It was a good programme the dog on the skateboard looked weird.

44leto wrote: »
    I seen that programme Liz Bonnin presented it, but they are all one trick ponies. When it comes to intelligence nothing out there is even remotely close to humans. It was a good programme the dog on the skateboard looked weird.

I totally disagree. They are one trick ponies because that it all we have tested for. How can you measure the intelligence of a great Whale ? But in any event the Aliens would want to see how we have used our intelligence - I don't think that we would pass the test. I wonder how animals would define intelligence ?

I totally disagree. They are one trick ponies because that it all we have tested for. How can you measure the intelligence of a great Whale ? But in any event the Aliens would want to see how we have used our intelligence - I don't think that we would pass the test. I wonder how animals would define intelligence ?

By having the ability to understand the world around you, above and below you even understanding the abstract world. Whales maybe clever and very smart hunters but they would never develop a net because they can't think abstractly.

To make a net you must first perceive a net, no animals appart from us apes can do that. You could never train or a whale or a chimp to do that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Humans are only the third most intelligent beings on Earth, after dolphins and mice of course. Sure the planet was only built based on consultation with the mice?

Humans are only the third most intelligent beings on Earth, after dolphins and mice of course. Sure the planet was only built based on consultation with the mice?

I loved the title of that book

"So long and thanks for the fish" the fourth book in the hitchhiker trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Kangaroo Rat is pretty awesome too - doesn't need to drink water.

To make a net you must first perceive a net, no animals appart from us apes can do that. You could never train or a whale or a chimp to do that.

Whales make nets & use them. They were doing so long before man existed. We make nets from cord & it involves a lot of work. Whales make theirs from bubbles & it takes seconds - plenty of videos on youtube. Whales make nets because it makes feeding easier. They are not going to try & make something that they don't need.

They have evolved for longer than us & have way bigger brains. We have no idea of how intelligent they are.

Whales make nets & use them. They were doing so long before man existed. We make nets from cord & it involves a lot of work. Whales make theirs from bubbles & it takes seconds - plenty of videos on youtube. Whales make nets because it makes feeding easier. They are not going to try & make something that they don't need.

They have evolved for longer than us & have way bigger brains. We have no idea of how intelligent they are.

They are not smart enough tp avoid a harpoon.

• Advertisement

They didn't evolve to avoid harpoons. Until man arrived & used his "intelligence" they had nothing to fear. They can't avoid a harpoon because they have to surface for air. Man is intelligent but he can't dodge a bullet.

But they do have the intelligence to realise that not all humans pose a threat. The Grey Whales that come to meet tourists in California & bring their young to show them us, bit like us being in a zoo, are old enough to remember being hunted in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

It would probably be the one that has conquered every ecosystem, from ice cap to desert, searing hot to freezing cold, dark to bright. One species has outshone all others:

Bacteria :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a campaign ongoing to have Whales and Dolphins classified as higher beings, 'Non Human Persons'. Apparently its them who are closest to humans in the intelligence stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There's a campaign ongoing to have Whales and Dolphins classified as higher beings, 'Non Human Persons'. Apparently its them who are closest to humans in the intelligence stakes.

They'll be running for president next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I disagree with that I have to say. Some of the great apes are uncomfortably close to humans in intelligence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Should be more like the octopus again so.

(I like how at the end he's all 'I TAKE YOUR CAMERA :mad::mad::mad:")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Not sure if it was said already, but there's this type of jellyfish in the carribean that goes through some sort of chemical change after sexual reproduction that replenishes its cells and reverts back to adolescence, making it technically immortal. Biologically immortal is the correct term i think.

I can't remember where i read about it but it interested me anyway.

Tardigrades
    article-0-029908E800000578-448_468x413.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

By having the ability to understand the world around you, above and below you even understanding the abstract world. Whales maybe clever and very smart hunters but they would never develop a net because they can't think abstractly.

whales create a net with their bodies by rounding up schools of fish and trapping them

spiders are a whole lot smaller than whales and less intelligent
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Spider_web_with_dew_drops03.jpg
    looks like a net to me

bleg wrote: »
    It would probably be the one that has conquered every ecosystem, from ice cap to desert, searing hot to freezing cold, dark to bright. One species has outshone all others:

Bacteria :pac:
    There are more than one species of bacteria. Few can tolerate many ecosystems. Some thermophiles will freeze to death in boiling water, (it's just their spores that will survive)

Water bears on the other hand take vacuums in their stride.

Unconfirmed reports of them literally wandering around inside the vacuum of an electron microscope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Sponge Bob

• Advertisement
Advertisement