Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 seperate parcel land owners,1 herd number?

• 29-02-2012 11:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hello Folks,

something I would like to run by you.

my fathers is 83 and his smallholding is around 30 acres. I will be putting my name shortly on my fathers herd number. He will leave half to me an half to my brother. My brother has no real interest. I would like to plant 15 accres and keep 3 cows on my brothers 15 acres. That at least will enable both of us to get the sfp. Plus the higher forestry primium for me. The prob is I suppose that 15 acres will be in my name and 15 in my brothers so in theory can we really have a conjoined farm with joint herd number? There are prob lots of pitfalls with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 about 3 fity

i dont think its a problem, worst case scenario you might have to let on your leasing the land for a small fee but i dont think you'll have to do that. lots of farmers would be in the same situation around the country

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

tks fity,

would anyone know any more about this?

tks a lot in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lildesyl

Hi there,

I'm involved in setting up the new Irish Smallholders Association (the old one folded), and funny enough I'll be getting all this kind of info onto the website.
    There should be no bother with this... if you get a herd number for your bit, it will cover you for lands that you lease as well... but you will need a written leasing agreement BEFORE you apply for any grants to include that land under the grant.
    Your brother can "lease" the land to you for nothing, but he might want you to cover solicitor's fees for writing up the contract.
    Just one more point... if you keep only 3 cows on that 15 acres, it could get very rough from undergrazing. It will then be difficult to get under control in the future. The usual stocking rate would be 2 cows for every 3 acres (to include plots that you cut for winter feed... hay/silage). So, you'd be wanting around 10 cows to keep it under control. If not, you could always just keep it empty and cut and sell hay or silage.

Hope that helps, Lil.

Advertisement