Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI cable trouble????

• 01-03-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks, I got myself a HDMI cable off of ebay during the week and for some reason it wont work with my laptop but will work with sky and the playstation etc. Also If I use a different HDMI cable with the laptop that will work.

Basically im trying to hook the laptop upto my tv via this HDMI cable but for some reason it wont work. Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've seen some specifications for tv/monitors that treat computer output differently to br / dvd. Check your display properties against the input formats on the. Screen. You might have to change to 50hz as opposed to 60 for example.
    Also verify that there are no hdcp inconsistencies between devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

Firstly you need to make sure you are doing what is needed to get the display up on the TV

Connect cable
    usually you have a HDMI button on your remote control, or you have a 'source' button, you need to select the output that is marked for HDMI input.

you need to 'send' the output from computer to TV. Most computers have an F key deicated to doing this.

Usually it will give 3 choices 'display on computer', 'display on external monitor' or 'display on both' you need to select one of the latter two.

you can also reach these settings by you graphic card settings, by right clicking on the desktop and going to 'screen resolution'

j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Cheers lads. Will try the advise you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Tryed everything and it still wont work. The weirdest thing about it is the cable I bought will work with the ps3 but not the laptop and the cable I use for the ps3 will work for both the ps3 AND the laptop. I need the one I bought to work though as its 4 meters long and I need that length

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hdmi can be very fussy, the fact that the cable doesn't work with one source and works with another means the cable is dodgy, for short cables you can buy cheap but longer like your 4m it's better off spending a bit more.

if you wanted to test, try reducing the output resolution of the laptop to 1280*720p, and you may find the cable works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

With HDMI cables , most short well made cables work exactly the same. Short is usually defined as anything up to 8 meters.

The reason for this is that at over 8 meters it is usually impossible to get the cable to pass the category 2 ( high speed ) test for bandwidth.

HDMI carries signals at huge bandwidth figures , they must be machine made , as the quality of the soldering and the dimensions of the geometry or twists between the twisted pairs is critical to the correct working of the cable.

There is an inherent attenuation problem with the design when it comes to longer cables. The high frequency and the length usually mean that the voltage levels become indistinct at longer lengths and the cable simply stops working.

Four meters should be fine though , so I suspect that as usual , some dodgy ebay seller has offloaded a badly made product onto you.

This is rampant on ebay. There are plenty of reliable non ebay sites around that will supply you with a four meter cable that doesnt cost the earth and will work.

Blue jeans UK has what you need starting at a very reasonable £5 sterling.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/hdmi-cables/index.htm

These guys are very reliable.

Advertisement