Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kobo vs kindle

Options
  • 01-03-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Whats the best? Is the 3g any good on the kindle? you can use it for light surfing is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The browser is supposed to be very limited on the Kindle. I wouldn't rely on it to do a tablet's job (or a tablet to do an eReader's job). Unless you tend to be away from a WiFi connection for long periods of time, then I don't know if the 3G is worth getting.

What I would do is check the Kobo store to see what range of books are available to buy in Ireland. This can sometimes be a problem because of licensing. If there isn't a great selection, then having a WiFi connection on the device is largely irrelevant if you have to use a computer to get a decent range of books.

Calibre seems to support Kobo, which is good news as then you can buy books from a load of different places and upload them to your eReader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

"Surfing" on a 6" eInk display at 800x480 is a complete nuisance. Those displays really shine with flow text documents, for anything else you should consider a different device, i.e. a tablet. WLAN (and even more so 3G) will only drain the battery unecessarily.

The KOBO can be loaded via copy/paste or drag & drop onto the reader or SD card, doesn't require any software at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

is it free ssurf on the kindle with 3g? or has it been discontuined with newer models?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yep its still free. I've used both and in my personal opinion the kindle is better. Neither is great for surfing. I've tried the kindle fire and that's better suited for web browsing but with less battery life and more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As someone who went for a Kobo Touch after killing two Kindles (pro-tip, don't carry them in your pocket), both have their advantages but I'd lean towards the Kobo. The interface is much nicer, the touch screen more intuitive and the inclusion of a MicroSD slot is great.

The Kindle store does seem to have slightly more content, albeit at higher prices, but you can buy from anywhere and just use Calibre on the Kobo. If you're in Dublin I'd recommend going into Arnotts and just trying one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Jet Black wrote: »
    Yep its still free. I've used both and in my personal opinion the kindle is better. Neither is great for surfing. I've tried the kindle fire and that's better suited for web browsing but with less battery life and more expensive.

i know its still free on the slightly older kindles but is the feature still available on the new kindles? i have been given different answers about this.

Has anyone here bought a kindle recently?

Advertisement