Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st patricks day parade may be on sunday 18 due to garrycasle in final

Options
  • 01-03-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

i heard a rumour i wonder if its true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

finky1 wrote: »
    i heard a rumour i wonder if its true
    Parade isn't great anyways. Mostly just lorries with advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

But why should this match have any effect on the Athlone Parade ???

Garrycastle people can go to their match.

The rest of us who... really couldnt give a 4x what happens out there in GC...can go to the parade.

Whats the problem ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Even better, lock the gates while they are out and don't let them back into the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

whyulittle wrote: »
    Even better, lock the gates while they are out and don't let them back into the town!

down with that sort of thing!!!! ;)

But with Junction 9 closed off from today its like they want to cut Garrycastle off from the rest of the town!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Ah you're OK, you got your pass yesterday to get back in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

martin1 wrote: »
    But why should this match have any effect on the Athlone Parade ???

Garrycastle people can go to their match.

The rest of us who... really couldnt give a 4x what happens out there in GC...can go to the parade.

Whats the problem ? :D

It is probably one of the most proudest and finest days for the Town of Athlone. A team from the region is playing in an All Ireland Final. It will be decades before Roscommon or Westmeath (depending on what side of the Shannon that you are from) Senior Team reaches an intercounty final.

It is only one year, and would be pretty petty to ignore the fact that the game is on. The parade is rubbish anyway. And if, GarryCastle do win it, it would be fitting that they were paraded through the town on the 18th.

I am not a Garrycastle Club man, but anyone who follows the sport, our national game, could not begrudge them.

Hopefully, most of the town will be dead anyway and actually go to Croker to shout them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

It is probably one of the most proudest and finest days for the Town of Athlone.

Well maybe for you it is walrus , but for me it was that unforgetable day back in 197?whateveritwas when Athlone Town won the league of Ireland senior trophy...happy days :)

I agree it would be petty to begrudge the good people of Garrycastle their day out, more luck to them..... but why penalise the rest of us law abiding souls who enjoy the dayout at the parade.

This match has nothing to do with the town of Athlone.

So HANDS OFF OUR PARADE.....:mad:

Have yer own parade out in Garrycastle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭glen25

Arra lads it's a great day for the town of athlone. Can't we all just enjoy the historic occasion? Whatever happens on the day we'll all probably have fun in the celebrations or commiserations :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

The Garrycastle game will probably mean that some of the people who might be in the parade will not be there, so the parade could be an even smaller affair if its on the saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Why cant they just organise the parade to take place before or after the game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'd rather watch Garrycastle lo... play in the final than watch a bunch of vans advertising while driving down a street in the name of this Paddy guy. Another false holiday like St. Arthur's Day and Christmas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

St. Arthurs day has more credibility than paddys day at this stage.

martin1 wrote: »
    Well maybe for you it is walrus , but for me it was that unforgetable day back in 197?whateveritwas when Athlone Town won the league of Ireland senior trophy...happy days :)

I agree it would be petty to begrudge the good people of Garrycastle their day out, more luck to them..... but why penalise the rest of us law abiding souls who enjoy the dayout at the parade.

This match has nothing to do with the town of Athlone.

So HANDS OFF OUR PARADE.....:mad:

Have yer own parade out in Garrycastle :D

MArtin, that is completely fair enough.

I am also a long time suffering fan of de Town FC as well. But I did not have the privilege of being born during those great days, and the 1980's I was only a toddler.

I know the Town is a Soccer Town, well, the Roscommon Side of Town you would notice the County Flags during the Championship, Westmeath being a Mullingar thing......

However, these guys are locals and I would hope that most Athlonians would march to Lansdowne Road if Athlone was in the FAI Cup Final (or even any Athlone Club in a major soccer final like St Peter's a few years ago) or down to Lisseywollen if they actually stringed together some good performances. Either way, it would be correct for the Town Council to postpone the parade for them.

Coosan ,Garrycastle, Auburn, Retreat , Cartondrive ,Cornamaddy (common places where players are from) are part of the Town of Athlone and Hinterland. These lads are Athlonians. Alot of the lads who played for Athlone Town FC, down the years, are not even from Athlone (well, the great one's are from Athlone) Over 10,000 went to the Semi's. Many of the Garrycastle crowd are Athlonians who work in Athlone, lived all their lives in Athlone, went to school in Athlone, have business' in Athlone, support Athlone Town FC and Buccaneers RFC..................

Jesus, maybe your messing, but that is pretty petty, maybe your an Athlone GAA man (If it was Athlone GAA, what would you say then?), or just hate the GAA.

I think the leagues were won in the early 1980's, with a few league cups in between them

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I'd rather watch Garrycastle lo... play in the final than watch a bunch of vans advertising while driving down a street in the name of this Paddy guy. Another false holiday like St. Arthur's Day and Christmas :rolleyes:

Well, its better having the kiddies out watching the parade than have them stuck in the pub

Better, still, tickets for the game in Croker are cheap, bring them there, then you get to see the Dublin Parade too

Zero1986 wrote: »

Ah, At least you get to see a few decent bands (well...) on Arthur's Day. Saint? Sure if it brings in the tourists.....

Christmas, hey, don't be a scrooge man, not every one is materialistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭finky1

i see the parade is on st patricks after all

Advertisement