Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band in Salthouse

Options
  • 01-03-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Was in the Salthouse Sunday evening and really enjoyed the band...I seen them play there before, think they play there a lot. One man plays a large double base, a guitarist and the girl plays the uke. Iv seen the girl sing in the Crane on Sunday evenings a few times and an Asian fella was playing the violin. They were brilliant, singing old American folk songs. I am just wondering do anybody know the name of this band and where else do they usually play..cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mikey and The Scallywags?
    http://abbeyfest.com/?page_id=1647

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

biko wrote: »
    Mikey and The Scallywags?
    http://abbeyfest.com/?page_id=1647

Sounds more like Mad Uncle Harry or an variation of it with Noriana on Uke. Asian Fiddle guy Is most likely Michael Chang

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

No thats not them, thanks though..the girl had dark hair

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sounds more like Mad Uncle Harry or an variation of it with Noriana on Uke. Asian Fiddle guy Is most likely Michael Chang

Spot on, I remember them calling the asian guy Michael..thanks very much..do you know if they play there or around the place often..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They're all with different bands at different times. Usual Galway :) I know Micheal plays in Cooks Thatch at some sessions fairly regularly. I last saw Noriana play the great Mná Mná monthly night in The Crane, but it was a while ago. I think she just did a tour recently though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

jaysus, was it in the secret tardis room in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

The Salthouse used to be a huge pub years ago when it was called "The Base Inn"
    Anyone remember that?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just remember it being Zulus, The Weigh Inn and whatever it was before Zulus.

Name escapes me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The guy with the big double bass also regularly plays in O'Connors Salthill. Not sure if it's with the same band or not. He really is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Kelvin Busher - bass
    Noriana Kennedy - vocals/ukulele
    Michael Chang - fiddle

I don't know what name they are going under at the moment or who the guitarist was, but they are all regulars on the local music scene. AFAIK Michael Chang plays in Cooke's on Wednesdays and Taaffe's Saturday early evenings, not sure where else. Noriana is about to do an Australian tour with Noelie McDonnell (quite likely he was the guitarist you saw, actually).

Has anyone seen the excellent video Kelvin (the guy on double bass) made upstairs in Kelly's for one of his own songs? Noriana is in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I have also seen them on a few occasions in the salthouse and once with Sharon Shannon also. There was a guitarist I think called Niall Teague also there who plays with the double bass player in O Connors sometimes and can be seen here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeNUn2pxkQM&feature=player_embedded

However I did go back a few Sundays and there was nothing on.
    Cookes wednesday night session definitely worth a look. I was there this week and counted 14 musicians.

Advertisement