Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit Donegal.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

what a gob****e :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Idiot. It seems he doesn't know he should be embarrassed by this rubbish.

I'm not surprised that he couldn't "rely on a lift from the locals."

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

This guy need to go and see the world to appreciate how good his home county is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Now theres someone with too much time on his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

judging by the comments this clip isn't worth watching, so Im not going to bother my head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I like the way his manboobs bounce when he dances:rolleyes:

ill say something though at least hes trying to be creative .. its just a pity it paints such a poor picture of Donegal & will be seen worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    ill say something though at least hes trying to be creative ..
    Being creative? :eek:

Some people may or may not know that when mods issue warnings, infractions or even bans there is now a drop down list of "reasons" from which we have to select the one that best suits the "offense".

One of the reasons listed is "being a dick". That, in my opinion, would be a fairly accurate description of that clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

For the first few seconds I actually thought it was going to be a decent ad for tourism in the county. Reminds me of the time some "dicks" did a version of the Discover Donegal ad.

muffler wrote: »

Some people may or may not know that when mods issue warnings, infractions or even bans there is now a drop down list of "reasons" from which we have to select the one that best suits the "offense".

One of the reasons listed is "being a dick". That, in my opinion, would be a fairly accurate description of that clown.

yeah i agree but all i mean is that the video has been quite well produced for a young guy on youtube.. its just a pity hes put the enegry into being ..well.. a dick lol & basically showing up the county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

In fairness it wouldn't take much for him to go from wanker to wankered..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I think it's funny :o

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

"The purpose of satire has been rightly stated as to strip off the veneer of comforting illusion and cosy half truth..." Michael Flanders

As someone who is closer to fifty than twenty I am happy to see a group of our local young lads being creative. Yes, despite the sneering, mean spirited, caustic opinions and comments in this thread, this is a "creative" endeavour.

When I watched that video I saw group of young fellas using the medium available to them to "create" their social commentry. I don't think they for one moment condone or agree with what they are portraying.

I'm assuming that most of us on here are from Donegal. With that in mind can I ask, is there anybody here that doesn't at least recognise the issues that are being satirised in this video? Are we really that socially myopic that we cannot see the problems in our county, country and society that are being addressed here?

The worst this video can be criticised for would be that it relies a bit too much on the "Republic of Telly" / David McSavage style. But were my generations social satire (Irish) was mostly Scrap Saturday and Mike Murphy, these lads are naturally influenced by their generations satirist, and their video naturally reflects that.
    what a gob****e :rolleyes:
    He may well be, but this video gives you absolutely no clue either way.

Idiot. It seems he doesn't know he should be embarrassed by this rubbish.
    He shouldn't be embarrassed. He should be proud that he has created a fairly well made piece of social comedy.

This guy need to go and see the world to appreciate how good his home county is
    Good advise, I'm a great believer that foreign travel can help you appreciate your home. Travel is also helps you achieve the objective point of view that allows you to recognise problems and issues with an area you can be too familiar with or attached to.

Now theres someone with too much time on his hands.
    Maybe he does. After all, it is one of the major issues facing the younger generations today. If he does have too much time on his hands (speculating perhaps through unemployment or being unable to afford further education) isn't it great that he is using that time being creative and not destructive?

ill say something though at least hes trying to be creative .. its just a pity it paints such a poor picture of Donegal & will be seen worldwide
    I'm not criticising this comment. Just wanted to add the video makers should be commended, not condemned for showing us that "poor picture". The "poor picture" is not of their making, they're just pointing it out for us.

I can only hope that this.... "comment" despite encapsulating the opinions expressed here, is not indicative of the general opinion of people in this county. I dread to live in a county that is so blind to its own faults, so horribly scathing to any spark of creativity, and so disgracefully conservative that they cannot accept other opinions without resorting to ad hominems.

James

tl/dr version: Is there a "remove stick from ass" option on that drop down mod list that can be applied to this entire thread?

James74 wrote: »
    tl/dr version: Is there a "remove stick from ass" option on that drop down mod list that can be applied to this entire thread?
    Sadly we dont have this option but just for you I could ask for it to be included.

There is however another option of "GTFO" which I can use if you can't accept and respect other people's opinions without trolling and flaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I can only hope that this.... "comment" despite encapsulating the opinions expressed here, is not indicative of the general opinion of people in this county. I dread to live in a county that is so blind to its own faults, so horribly scathing to any spark of creativity, and so disgracefully conservative that they cannot accept other opinions without resorting to ad hominems.

James

So based on that it seems to me as if the "remove stick from ass" option might be more applicable to you.

You post a video that makes fun of Donegal (irrespective of any creativity involved with the making of it) and expect the people looking at it to praise the guy?

My mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

James 74,

First off I think your reading too much into the video. what I see the video as (and everyone else whom I've talked too has seen the video as) is a take the piss of the discover Ireland ad's nothing more nothing less.

I would really really like to hear all these "points" that you claim this video is making and where it is showing the flaws in our country because to be honest it has me baffled, I don't see it anywhere in this video.

The one thing this Video isn't, as you put it, a great piece of social comedy. Though talking to people and my own thoughts I don't think it was funny at all, being honest if I wasn't a mod here and am obliged to watch the full video I'd have watched about 30 seconds of the video then turned it off.

Don't get me wrong though the video seems to have a lot of thought gone into it and to an extent it is well produced / put together, but for me it doesn't work. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the general consensus, from what I can gather, is that the video a bit of a waste of time!

... and I thought I presented my opinions and arguments fairly coherently and I was particularly careful to "attack the post, not the poster".

In the spirit of discussion and staying OT I genuinely would like to hear any response you may have.

Finally, I most certainly was not "trolling" or "flaming". I was responding to the comments here with my opinions in a direct, concise, well reasoned but never insulting manner.

James

smashey wrote: »
    the "remove stick from ass" option might be more applicable to you.

(...irrespective of any creativity involved with the making of it) and expect the people looking at it to praise the guy?
    I didn't post any video, I'm not the OP. I'm simply commenting on the overtly harsh ad-hominem comments that followed the first post.
    And yes you're absolutely right, the "remove stick from ass" of course applies to me as well. That's my point, where has our sense of humour gone. Why are so sensitive to some mild criticism of our locality and society from an video posted on youtube.

And you cannot simply use "irrespective of any creativity involved" since a large portion of the comments (mine included) referred directly whether this was or was not a "creative" endeavour.

First off I think your reading too much into the video... a take the piss of the discover Ireland ad's nothing more nothing less.
    If you reread my comment you will find no where did I praise the actual level of comedy. Unlike other comments, at no stage did I make a value judgement (either positive or negative) on the video itself. I know these lads aren't Bill Hicks or George Carlin. What I liked about the video was the attempt itself. My praise was for their creativity. My criticism of the comments that followed was against both the unjustifiable personal attacks against the video makers, and the inability of us as Donegal people to accept negative comments towards our county.
    I would really really like to hear all these "points" that you claim this video is making and where it is showing the flaws in our country because to be honest it has me baffled, I don't see it anywhere in this video.
    Again, you're attributing arguments to me that I didn't make. I never claimed the video made 'all these "points"'. I did however commend the video makers for "using the medium available to them to "create" their social commentary". I did ask if we could not at least recognise the issues raised: unemployment, isolation, under-age drinking, social decline... mass ;).
    Whether they were raised successfully or not is irrelevant (and again, I never claimed they were raised sucessfully). The issues were at least raised, and for that I praised the video makers.
    The one thing this Video isn't, as you put it, a great piece of social comedy.
    :confused:
    Em... what? Where? I don't know where you read this, but it wasn't in my comment. The closest I can find is: "he has created a fairly well made piece of social comedy". And it is fairly well made, for a couple of lads making a youtube video.

James

I was responding to the comments here with my opinions in a direct, concise, well reasoned but never insulting manner.
    Bit of a contradiction there James.

Bit of a contradiction there James.

Well then muffer, for my one throw away line which I deliberately differentiated from the rest of my post with bold and a sarcastic "tl/dr", my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Have to agree with James, I don't see why the guy is being criticised at all. I don't find it too funny but its just a bit of a laugh at Donegal's stereotypes, no harm in it. I know young people who are on the dole around Dungloe and although the video is obviously over the top, they pretty much have the same view that there's little to do for young people other than to get drunk at the weekend

The video can be summed up as a light hearted self-deprecating look at Donegal but at the same time it has a serious message behind it about the social problems that exist.

It is important to remember that the video does not claim to be a guide or expert opinion on tourism in Donegal, it is not the intent of the video to turn away tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

"The purpose of satire has been rightly stated as to strip off the veneer of comforting illusion and cosy half truth..." Michael Flanders

As someone who is closer to fifty than twenty I am happy to see a group of our local young lads being creative. Yes, despite the sneering, mean spirited, caustic opinions and comments in this thread, this is a "creative" endeavour.

He shouldn't be embarrassed. He should be proud that he has created a fairly well made piece of social comedy.

I, too, am closer to fifty than twenty. My children, however, are not!
    I have two teenagers in his age group - neither were impressed by this "fairly well made piece of social comedy".
    I will admit that the video is well edited. Unfortunately, that is the only thing I can find to commend it! The content was in extremely poor taste, in my opinion.

You suggest that this is a satire. I suggest that if you were the owner of either the Bar, or the Restaurant featured, you might not be overly impressed. What about those who earn a living from tourism? Do you think anyone would choose to come on, say, a family holiday, if their children are likely to be exposed to the behaviour exhibited in this "satire"?

If I were to try very hard to be charitable about the content of the video, the most I could find to say in its favour would be that the "star" appears to believe that his only purpose in life is to gyrate his hips in inappropriate places, and vomit when he visits a local pub or restaurant. How sad!

It's a great pity that his creative talents weren't put to better use.

Well said Noreen. Good post.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    ...neither were impressed by this "fairly well made piece of social comedy".
    ...I will admit that the video is well edited.
    ...The content was in extremely poor taste, in my opinion.

Again, nowhere did I make any statement about the quality, or lack thereof, of the comedy. Just to be clear, and at the risk of repeating myself: I did not say that this video was, as Homer so eloquently misquoted me as saying "a great piece of social comedy"!

I did commend the makers for having a spark of creativity and having enough of an opinion on the society they see around them to attempt to make "a fairly well made piece of social comedy".

Perhaps the content could be seen as in poor taste, but this is a subjective opinion that does not detract from the fact that they at least attempted it.

Personally I don't think there is anything here any more offensive than what we see regularly on TV. I also didn't get the impression that the video makers were condoning or glorifying the behaviour depicted. Rather the opposite in fact, my impression is that they were using that standard of behaviour to emphasize their discontent and dissatisfaction. Comedy is a mirror of everyday life, sorry to get all ancient Greek on the issue ;). But perhaps, as homer_simpson said, I am reading too much into it, but I'm willing to give the video makers the benefit of the doubt on their actual intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

That video is disgusting, any reference to Donegal that doesn't include the phrases "Our poor wee county", "The forgotten county" or "the Celtic Tiger never reached up here" should be deleted from the Internet.

It's hard to wallow in self-pity when some bloke is taking the piss.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    and vomit when he visits a local pub or restaurant. How sad!

Sadly, if you take a trip through the larger towns of Donegal at the weekend (or indeed any part of Ireland) the youth of today seem to think that their sole purpose in life is to get "wankered" and vomit on the street. To make things worse, they then celebrate this by posting photos on Facebook or talking about it the next day, it seems the amount you are "dieing" by is a measure of an enjoyable time.

So in many ways, this young man's video reflects modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hi,

Im visiting Donegal for the first time next week and popped into this forum to find things to do. I thought the video was childish but funny in some parts, certainly no different to what you would find on the Republic of Telly.

It just seems that from the comments on this thread some people are taking it far too seriously , its like a Joe Duffy show around here.

Being from Dublin we get these videos made about our county all the time, there was one made about Limerick which a TD complained about and was promptly laughed at.

This video has not put me off my trip to Letterkenny next week so I am not sure what the problem some posters have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

just wanted to say james i thought you put your points across in a very articulated intelligent thought out manner and totally agree with what you said .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

the air must be very thin up where some posters on this thread are,its only a bit of craic .cant people see that?hes not working for discover ireland or nothing.if you saw this on youtube but it was about mayo or kerry or wherever would it put you off going to said counties?you might think he has too much time on his hands but it could be worse he could be in your local pub,wankered as he would say himself but then people would realy have something to whinge about.

Advertisement