Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring a porch light

Options
  • 01-03-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Complete novice at this, house was extended out to the porch when putting a new pvc door in, which left the porch light redundant.

I've a small concealed light 50watt with just 2 connections (live, neutral) to replace it. My problem is theres 3 wires (red,black,black) and the two black were left linked together?? that are from a 3way switch in the hall (porch,hall,upstairs)

Do I just connect all three into the light to complete the loop?

Any help appreciated.
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

The two blacks are the neutral leave them connected together and in the N terminal

the red is the live switch wire connect this to the live terminal

remember to switch off power at mains when working on the light so you dont get a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sparkinthedart

maxfresh wrote: »
    The two blacks are the neutral leave them connected together and in the N terminal

the red is the live switch wire connect this to the live terminal

remember to switch off power at mains when working on the light so you dont get a shock

Thanks Max! worked a charm ;)

Advertisement