Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 new ip /series this generation

Options
  • 01-03-2012 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

As this generations consoles draw to a close i thought it be nice to hear some of your top new ips that came out this generation weather its a series or brand new game .. Bear in mind top 10 games might aswell be all number 1 for me :pac:

10.Shadow of the Damned
    9.Vanquish
    8.Dead Space Series
    7.Bayonetta
    6.Uncharted series
    5.Batman Arkham series
    4.Bioshock Series
    3.Assassin Creed Series
    2.Dark Souls/Demon Souls
    1.Valkyria Chronicles Series

Honourable mentions: Mass effect 2, Binary Domain, Borderlands, L.A Noire, Madworld, The Darkness series, Dragon Age, Fragile Dreams , Mirrors Edge, Heavy Rain :pac:

List was hard ..good 20 minute think about it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

...and what about

Gears of War
    Alan Wake
    Saints Row
    Crackdown

(Even for honourable mentions)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I can't think of then off the top of my head, but Vanquish, Bayonetta, Darksiders, and BuletStorm all deserve a hell of a mention!
    Edit: Oh, and Mass Effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm for me it would be in no particular order:

Etrian Odyssey series
    Deadly Premonition
    Bayonetta
    Demon's/Dark Souls
    Fragile Dreams
    Xenoblade
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Portal
    Minecraft
    Catherine

Honourable mentions to Nier, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Vanquish, Gears of War, Child of Eden, STALKER, Radiant Historia, Boom Blox, Resonance of Fate, Braid, VVVVVV, Half Minute Hero, Zack and Wiki, Mirrors Edge.

Who says there's no new IP! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Left4Dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Jesus, i knew i was forgetting games, minecraft, left 4 dead, braid and limbo also for honourable mentions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And let us hope that half the games mentioned never get any sort of sequel, and remain the unique one-offs that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Left 4 Dead

Borderlands

Gears of War

DragonAge

Mass Effect

Saint's Row

Batman Arkham Series

Darksiders

BioShock

Dead Island

I assume the rules of this thread is the first in the series had to be this gen? So Fable or Fallout or Sonic Generations wouldn't be allowed?

Honorable mention goes to the Lego Series, mainly Potter and Indiana Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I know technically it's new IP, but Batman is hardly an original concept... good and all as the games are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Heavy Rain surely?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mayordenis wrote: »
    Heavy Rain surely?

Interesting idea, poor writing unfortunately, which is kind of relied on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

mayordenis wrote: »
    Heavy Rain surely?
    Plus its practically the same gameplay wise as Farenheit (I know its the same developer) , which came out on the original Xbox

I know technically it's new IP, but Batman is hardly an original concept... good and all as the games are.

Batman himself, certainly not. But the game is very different to most out there and is implemented really well. I'd call it a new IP. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mass Effect. Any top 10 list which is not based on personal opinion would have this as number 1. No ip listed above comes close to this series.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Mass Effect. Any top 10 list which is not based on personal opinion would have this as number 1. No ip listed above comes close to this series.

I didn't number them from favourite to least, many games just aren't comparable as they are either too different or appeal in different ways. However I do agree that the ME series is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Conversely, while Fallout 3 is not technically a new IP, it's so different from the previous games it could be considered one. Same goes for Red Dead Redemption. I guess some examples just aren't clear-cut.

For me, I think Arkham, along with Bioshock, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Portal are all up there. And Angry Birds :pac:.

Confession: I've never played a Mass Effect game! I have the first one and all...

well i said the arkham games cause movie license games shouldnt count should they ? if they do then i withdraw arkham series :pac:

well i said the arkham games cause movie license games shouldnt count should they ? if they do then i withdraw arkham series :pac:

It counts because it's a new use of the license - just like Nolan's Batman is a new film franchise because it doesn't tie-in with previous Batfilms. Though an attempt to absorb everything from Adam West through George Clooney up to Christian Bale into a single, continuous canon would be kinda interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah now, Mass Effect might make the top ten, but there's no way it could be considered as the best this generation has come up with.

Kinski wrote: »
    It counts because it's a new use of the license - just like Nolan's Batman is a new film franchise because it doesn't tie-in with previous Batfilms. Though an attempt to absorb everything from Adam West through George Clooney up to Christian Bale into a single, continuous canon would be kinda interesting...

right so gonna change it now :P

right so gonna change it now :P

Misunderstanding...I actually meant that it counts as a new IP! Go change it back...:D;)

• Advertisement

It was good alright, but not mind blowing and it feels like every other Bioware RPG except in space.

Kinski wrote: »
    Misunderstanding...I actually meant that it counts as a new IP! Go change it back...:D;)

God dammit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

I'd have Shadow Complex as one of my top 10, of all the games I downloaded from XBL it is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Interesting idea, poor writing unfortunately, which is kind of relied on.

It's amazing, I find myself disagreeing with nearly everything you say.

Grand, you're entitled to your opinion as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

none come close in what regard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What does IP stand for

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Intellectual Property is vanquish coming to PC yet? Damn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Overheal wrote: »
    Intellectual Property is vanquish coming to PC yet? Damn.

Has Overheal got his 360 yet so he's not missing out on hundreds of spectacular games? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In no particular order:

Portal
    Batman (Arkham series)
    Borderlands
    Assassins Creed
    Darksiders
    Dead Island
    Lego Series (based on 3rd party ips)
    Bioshock
    Uncharted
    inFamous

Honorable mention:

Bulletstorm
    Crackdown (1, not 2)
    Heavy Rain
    L.A. Noire (while let down by it being meh, it gets a mention due to the prospect it has)
    Mass Effect (barely)
    Little Big Planet
    Saints Row (1 & 2)
    Dragon Age

New IP that just don't make it

Prototype
    ModNation Racers
    Split Second

Advertisement