Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 The year of the bicycle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

However, once I got home I noticed that my lower back was quite sore and stiff. I don't know if this is due to the angle on the bike(I don't use the drops) or just the amount of time I've been on the bike lately. Either way Im hoping that its just a little niggle and nothing that will set me back(excuse the pun). I'm slightly concerned over it, but that's a result of having a ruptured disc already.

A few days off the bike either way will have to be had I think. Last thing I want to do is annoy a possible injury.....

Feel free to ignore this advice as it's very personal, but I would ignore back pain at your peril. You should aim to finish a ride with tired legs but no back or joint pain.

There is good and bad stress. In my experience cycling creates bad stress for the back, and the only way to counter this is to strengthen the back through off-the-bike exercises of some sort.

Rest allows the body to repair damage, but as your legs get stronger you will only put more stress on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Lumen wrote: »
    Feel free to ignore this advice as it's very personal, but I would ignore back pain at your peril. You should aim to finish a ride with tired legs but no back or joint pain.

There is good and bad stress. In my experience cycling creates bad stress for the back, and the only way to counter this is to strengthen the back through off-the-bike exercises of some sort.

Rest allows the body to repair damage, but as your legs get stronger you will only put more stress on your back.

I've no intention of ignoring back pain. I didn't feel sore while on the bike, its just when I finished my cycle and got off it that it felt really stiff and sore.

So today its been your typical lower back pain type symptom which has caused my great worry as the pain I went through 6 months ago was unbearable due to a ruptured disc.

So I'm guessing that since I've had no pain from then until now, that either my legs have increased in strength and put pressure on the back or I've to work hard on strengthening up my back muscles if I'm to continue cycling as much.

Either way, I've to wait until I see how bad this pain is going to get. Hopefully its just a niggle and doesn't develop into the sciatic pain down the left leg like last time.

The next day or two will defo see what the story is. Fingers crossed :(

Week 5:

Cycles: 2
    Distance: 104.16km
    Time: 4h 45mins
    Avg Speed: 21.9 km/h
    Avg HR: 152

Had a very high/low week this week. I only got 2 cycles in due to a back problem which I described above, which resulted in my not getting out since Wednesday.

The positive side of the week was that in the 2 spins I did go out for I hit the 50km mark on both of them which is a nice achievement for me. I had planned on getting 2 other 20k/30k cycles in this week as well.

My back has definitely improved the past two days and I should be fine to hop back on the saddle come Tuesday.

In the mean time I'm doing some light core stretches and exercises to try and kick start that side of things.

I definitely think the back was sore due to the time in the saddle combined with the lack of core stability around the mid-section. This will have to be worked on from now on, and I shall be looking to do some pilates work asap.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

March Review

Cycles: 15
    Distance: 471.38km
    Time: 24h 06mins
    Elevation: 3,824 m
    Avg Speed: 19.6 km/h
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Avg Cadence: 83 rpm
    Calories: 20,217 C

Extremely happy with my first month cycling. Gone from strength to strength and only had a few bad days there during the week, but nothing that can't be worked on hopefully.

My goals that I set out before I did my first spin were:

1. Join up with local cycling club and go for weekly cycle with them (doing that as soon as I have a few spins under my arse)
    Did this and got my CI licence sorted.
    2. Do at least one Sportif (I would love to complete the ROK in July - but probably not realistic at this time for me)
    I plan on doing the 80km leg of the Tour de Connemara end of May
    3. Try and cycle at least 3 days every week minimum.
    On track so far
    4. Lose 15kg of bodyweight by 31st December from my current weight which is 100.1kg
    I've lost 10kg since 29 Feb and that's purely from cycling. My diet hasn't really changed much yet. So I'm delighted to be burning off the calories.
    5. Slowly get back to eating as clean as possible
    6. Complete a 100km spin
    7. Complete a 100mile spin
    8. Cycle 2000km by the end of the year - This works out at around 45km per week which is a realistic target that I can achieve.
    Have nearly 25% of this target reached after a month so I'm looking forward to bursting this goal before the end of July!

So as long as my back doesn't give me too many more problems, I'll be well on course to completing all of the above targets well ahead of schedule.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176169930

Well its been a long time off the saddle for me with the back injury. About 5 weeks I think, which is a real pity since I was doing so well for myself.

Anyways, I finally said today was the day to hop back on it the bike and just start off at the bottom again. So I did a short 6k cycle. I didn't want to go any longer for the first time as I wanted to see how my back felt after the light stretch.

So far, all ok and it feels good to be out again, even if its only a light trot...its still better than what I was doing.

I've been doing light core work and stretches the past few weeks in order to strengthen up the muscles around the core. This I hope will help prevent possible back strain down the line.

Looking back on the weeks I was flying it on the bike, I wasn't doing any core work so maybe as a result of my legs getting stronger it started to place some strain on the lower back etc.... I don't know really.

Onwards and upwords as they say :)

I had big plans to do the Tour de Connemara 80km spin end of the month, but unless I am 100% back to normal and get enough milage in before then, I'll have to let it pass. But I would really love to be able to take part in my first sportif :)

• Advertisement

Quick question lads. Based on my above entries and also my time off the bike through injury, do ye think I'd be able to do the 80k route in connemara on the 27th of this month? It's 19 days away, but id like to get an idea if it would be reachable for me after 5 weeks off.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Quick question lads. Based on my above entries and also my time off the bike through injury, do ye think I'd be able to do the 80k route in connemara on the 27th of this month? It's 19 days away, but id like to get an idea if it would be reachable for me after 5 weeks off.?

Newbie talking here so treat with the appropriate caution but my feeling is that if you can get back up to where you were doing 50km+ in the next few weeks you'll be OK on the 80km course, I'm reasonably familiar with most of those roads and there are no really bad hills there so as long as the wind doesn't blow too much you should be fine. Being out with a group does make the whole experience a bit easier, gets the old adrenaline flowing.

You'll have a better idea once you get a few spins under your belt, if you kept the weight off while you were off the bike it probably will come back quicker than you thought.

nilhg wrote: »
    Newbie talking here so treat with the appropriate caution but my feeling is that if you can get back up to where you were doing 50km+ in the next few weeks you'll be OK on the 80km course, I'm reasonably familiar with most of those roads and there are no really bad hills there so as long as the wind doesn't blow too much you should be fine. Being out with a group does make the whole experience a bit easier, gets the old adrenaline flowing.

You'll have a better idea once you get a few spins under your belt, if you kept the weight off while you were off the bike it probably will come back quicker than you thought.

Cheers dude. Will see how I get on in the next 10 days and make a decision on whether to register or not then. Thanks.

20km Spin last Friday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/177481615

36km Spin yesterday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/178774351

Feel great after getting in the last two cycles. The 20km spin was to make sure that the back wasn't going to give me problems if I was cycling for an hour. So after that went well, due to to really rotten weather over the weekend I decided not to head out.

Yesterday's spin was a slightly longer run over to Carrick on Shannon. The wind on the return leg was a real struggle. I enjoyed a lovely tailwind for most of the way over, but forgot that I'd be cycling into it on the way home. Needless to say after the initial 10 mins of swearing I got used to it and plodded home.

Rest day I think today, although I might venture out this evening for a short 10km if the legs feel loose enough.

Longest spin to date a 58km loop: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181555457

Shoulders and backside felt a little sore towards the last 20km of this spin but all was fine the following day. Felt I was kinda hitting that so called mental wall with about 10km left as well, which I know is bound to happen as some stage. Fitness wise I felt really good and if it wasn't for the mental side of things I'd be well able for a lot more distance.

However, I know in my heart and soul the 80km route in Connemara this Sunday wouldn't be an enjoyable spin for me at this stage as I feel I've to get a lot more miles on the saddle in before I can really start to loosen up while continuing to build up my core strength.

It would have been nice to do the Connemara sportif but I don't want to cause any undue strain to myself as its just not worth been off the bike again for a long period.

• Advertisement

22km cycle in the glorious heat: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/182525532

Got my fastest speed on the bike to date - 57km/h on a nice piece of the road. Didn't get up off the saddle so maybe I could have squeezed another 5kkm/h if I did.

Happy enough with the last few spins. The 100km milestone looks like a pipe dream at the moment. I could manage it but not with the chance of straining the lower back in the process.

I'm going to keep up the light core work and stretches and eventually will get the lower back good and strong.

:pac:

36km cycle today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/183541983

1 stop which for me is a big improvement on that distance.

26km spin today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186340082

Found it tough enough for some reason today. Steady incline for the first 4km or that really opened the lungs up early, but felt good to vary the type of routes I'm taking.

20km today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193061223

Using Euro's as a bad excuse the past two weeks not to cycle :(

26km cycle yesterday around Lough Key:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193617407

38km today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194260609

First time I sampled the drafting technique and while I found it tough to keep up with my mate it certainly is something which I can see the benefits for when on longer cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

good to see a cyclist from the same area as myself.

have just started cycling properly, just been out on 3 spins the last 3 days and have gone about 75km, longest spin being just over 36 km.

havn't ventured over the Carrick road just yet, may do it in the next couple of weeks.

nice to read about someone doing well in their cycling, and i may even try some of the routes you've taken, i won't post back unless i beat them obviously. :D

RossieMan wrote: »
    good to see a cyclist from the same area as myself.

have just started cycling properly, just been out on 3 spins the last 3 days and have gone about 75km, longest spin being just over 36 km.

havn't ventured over the Carrick road just yet, may do it in the next couple of weeks.

nice to read about someone doing well in their cycling, and i may even try some of the routes you've taken, i won't post back unless i beat them obviously. :D

Good man. I'll be blue in the face trying to beat the the locals here with their strava segments mate. I'm just trying to get back a reasonable level of fitness as well as improving my core strength to help future back problems.

Are you from Roscommon town?

Good man. I'll be blue in the face trying to beat the the locals here with their strava segments mate. I'm just trying to get back a reasonable level of fitness as well as improving my core strength to help future back problems.

Are you from Roscommon town?

i've recently just quit the local GAA team, so cycling is a great way to try and keep fit.

i've actually seen some of the local routes on strava, not done any just yet, more confidence required.

i'm actually from just outside Boyle myself, the roads aren't so kind on the old behind but it's the wind i really find the problem.

Probably will join the Curlieu Crusiers in the next couple of weeks, don't want to make a show of myself just yet.

i've recently just quit the local GAA team, so cycling is a great way to try and keep fit.

i've actually seen some of the local routes on strava, not done any just yet, more confidence required.

i'm actually from just outside Boyle myself, the roads aren't so kind on the old behind but it's the wind i really find the problem.

Probably will join the Curlieu Crusiers in the next couple of weeks, don't want to make a show of myself just yet.

Ah right. Well I joined them back in Feb and went with them on my 4th ever cycle which I was abit worried about(fitness wise), as I hadn't trained in a year with my injury and I was well able for the intermediate route(40km).

So if you've just quit GAA training you'll have zero worries when it comes to the fitness side of things mate. Believe me.

Curliew wheelers is fairly active this time of year so you should join up for sure.

• Advertisement

Ah right. Well I joined them back in Feb and went with them on my 4th ever cycle which I was abit worried about(fitness wise), as I hadn't trained in a year with my injury and I was well able for the intermediate route(40km).

So if you've just quit GAA training you'll have zero worries when it comes to the fitness side of things mate. Believe me.

Curliew wheelers is fairly active this time of year so you should join up for sure.

well i've only done 3 myself, so i'm a bit of a noob.

do you cycle with Clipless pedals? just wondering, because i started with the clipless and find them great, hard to get used to unclipping when turning and starting is a problem, but it really makes you pedal up them hills, well because you have too. :rolleyes:

and i've only fell once, at the start of my very 1st spin.

im averaging around 23km for my spins, but they aren't very hard.

hardest i've done is a 36 km into Boyle, up the Roscommon road and back over to Frenchpark and down again.

some of those hills are way bigger than i thought from driving in a car.

must make one of these topics for myself, a great way to keep track of everthing done in a week.
    Strava is also great for seeing work done in a week!

well i've only done 3 myself, so i'm a bit of a noob.

do you cycle with Clipless pedals? just wondering, because i started with the clipless and find them great, hard to get used to unclipping when turning and starting is a problem, but it really makes you pedal up them hills, well because you have too. :rolleyes:

and i've only fell once, at the start of my very 1st spin.

im averaging around 23km for my spins, but they aren't very hard.

hardest i've done is a 36 km into Boyle, up the Roscommon road and back over to Frenchpark and down again.

some of those hills are way bigger than i thought from driving in a car.

must make one of these topics for myself, a great way to keep track of everthing done in a week.
    Strava is also great for seeing work done in a week!

I use cleats. Best thing ever. I had those clips you get with the bike and they tore the toes off me. The proper shoes make a serious difference for sure.

Yeah a blog type thing like this is a cool way to look back. I also keep a garmin connect log(as I use a edge 500 gps) and I use strava as well to see who's cycling the local routes.

One day I will hopefully be capable enough to challenge a few KOM's, but at present its all about getting in the miles.

im the same, bit different to get used to, but after only 3 cycles i feel comfortable enough to say i'm happy with them.

The Garmin 500 is a bit on the expensive side for me, i'll just keep to Strava for now:D

some of the KOM's are just ridiculous. never in a million years will i get close to them.

stupid good cyclists ruining it for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

19.5km cycle today: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/195350491

Decided to get out today in the pouring rain to get in a small bit of a climb session.

The local lads who are going to france for the etap this month do a section of the above course 5/6 times in a row as part of their training. Its a category 4 climb(I presume 5 is harder than 4??)

For me it was a very tough 4km slough up it. Not that it was particularly steep, moreso the fact that it was a constant uphill battle with my legs giving out and my mouth never stopping cursing the day I was born!

Instead of opting the return downhill leg I went out onto the sligo/dublin N4 road and went home that way...which was fine, until some idiot in a car nearly smashed into me as I was cycling tight along the hard shoulder.

Plenty of space but yet this muppet nearly clipped me at speed with the left wing mirror. I nearly choked on my tongue with rage :mad::mad::mad:

It felt good to get a little bit of a hill climb in again. I know I've a lot of work on the saddle to even get near the level of fitness I would like, but that's the challenge in which I initally set myself.

I've just over 800km on the saddle in 28 cycles which is just under my end of year 2000km goal. I'm happy with it considering I was a full 6 weeks off in injury during March/April. Nothing impressive by other blog's in here but its a goal I set that I could have some chance of reaching which is the main thing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Anyone here doing the Roscommon Pink Ribbon cycle on July 29th

Last 4 spins:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200252726

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200252719

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200252703

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200252688

Incorporating infrared saunas after my cycles the past few weeks and I find them excellent both to ease the muscles and also to relax.

I bought one of these 10 years ago and used them religiously for years as part of my post work outs in the gym. Found them way more efficient than normal steam saunas. The infrared ones feel more like your getting a cardio workout(if you want to use it for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Have u much weight lost?

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Have u much weight lost?

When I started cycling in Feb i lost just under 10kg in 5/6 weeks...which was crazy. Then got injured again for 2 months so I've just lost 3kg in the 7 weeks I'm back. My diet needs a little attention :rolleyes:

But the saunas strip the weight right off me fairly quickly I find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement