Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming Wiki Project - Demistifying PC Games

Options
  • 01-03-2012 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

Quite the ambitious, and successful project. Seems to be booming and it's only been going a few weeks. According to Kotaku it started as a single wiki page for how to handle bugs and issues running Titan Quest and quickly exploded into it's own website.

The purpose of the entire project is to make PC Gaming easier, which is a big hurdle for many console gamers when they consider whether to transition to the PC (or vice versa). That is, creating a central source for workarounds, bug fixes, tweaks, etc. that would circumvent having to trawl through threads that are either antiquated or worse, Steam Community forums (sorry Sierra, it's pretty ugly in there).

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Impressive so far, a few gaping holes but I can see it becoming very big in the near future.

Bookmarked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That's a good thing, but to be honest I haven't encountered too many bugs in pc gaming for the last few years, which would be directly linked to PC.

Steam made gaming very easy. It updates it for you. It even updates gpu drivers for you too.
    Most of people know how to use basic stuff with pcs, but when it comes to games they get lost. The truth is its not that difficult these days, but the fog and moaning frOm people who don't have a clue about pcs make it look hard.

Still good start with that web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Good idea, nothing worse than deciding to play an old game and realise you need a certain fix or patch only to come across ancient / deleted threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dunno
    it's a great idea and all, and I hope it succeeds but trawling the web for 2 hours to find a fix to get a game made in 1992 working in w7 64bit, then having to google translate through 3 or 4 different russian language sites to find a rumour about a defunct ftp where a rogue developer once uploaded a patch to fix several gamebreaking bugs, pausing for a couple of minutes to take a sip of coffee and post on boards about how consoles games are ruining the industry then finding a patch for a different language version of the game, rushing to amazon (because piracy is wrong) to purchase a swahili edition of the game only for it to arrive 5 days later needing a different patch (1.0431a) before you can apply the aforementioned patch (1.043b), breaking the disc into hundreds of tiny little pieces which you can arrange into an amusing image of a flaccid penis while you wait for steam to download modern warfare 3 always seemed to me to be character building

24434-pc_gaming_master_race.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dunno
    it's a great idea and all, and I hope it succeeds but trawling the web for 2 hours to find a fix to get a game made in 1992 working in w7 64bit, then having to google translate through 3 or 4 different russian language sites to find a rumour about a defunct ftp where a rogue developer once uploaded a patch to fix several gamebreaking bugs, pausing for a couple of minutes to take a sip of coffee and post on boards about how consoles games are ruining the industry then finding a patch for a different language version of the game, rushing to amazon (because piracy is wrong) to purchase a swahili edition of the game only for it to arrive 5 days later needing a different patch (1.0431a) before you can apply the aforementioned patch (1.043b), breaking the disc into hundreds of tiny little pieces which you can arrange into an amusing image of a flaccid penis while you wait for steam to download modern warfare 3 always seemed to me to be character building

24434-pc_gaming_master_race.jpg

I loled at this :) . though in 15 years of pc gaming I haven't encountered anything like this even once lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All of the above is why I think GFWL and Digital platforms are great. They do the downloading so you dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I loled at this :) . though in 15 years of pc gaming I haven't encountered anything like this even once lol.

I'll send you my copy of Warhammer Dark Omen, get it working on XP plz!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All of the above is why I think GFWL and Digital platforms are great. They do the downloading so you dont have to.
    Steam is a platform. GFWL is the worst matchmaking software ever. :)

Advertisement