Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - March 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Temp is 8C here now - a drop of 12 degrees in 6 hours! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Here we go WB dont have the contrail photo on the iPad so here is an alternative:)
    Kerrygardening.jpg
    Does it work??? Can't press the preview button...

Tks Bill and gbee
    :D;):D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Got a max of 22.3c in one of my thermometers today but I have a feeling the sun had a warmer effect on that one.
    Got a max of 20.5C in my Stevenson screen.

edit: Just seen ednwireland got 22c maybe my other thermometer was right then.

Pangea wrote: »
    Got a max of 22.3c in one of my thermometers today but I have a feeling the sun had a warmer effect on that one.
    Got a max of 20.5C in my Stevenson screen.

Where was the thermometer gave you the 22.3?

The screen, if both it and the AWS are properly located, shouldn't differ by more than a fraction of a degree.

Are they in different locations?

I have a screen beside my Vantage2 and they never differ by more than 0.2C in any conditions; usually identical.

• Advertisement

Here we go WB dont have the contrail photo on the iPad so here is an alternative:)
    Kerrygardening.jpg
    Does it work??? Can't press the preview button...

Can u spot my weather station in this photo.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

As I said earlier, I also took a pic.

Taken at 18.45, from Knocklyon, facing west.

As I said earlier, I also took a pic.

Taken at 18.45, from Knocklyon, facing west.

Mad so many from so few got that shot:D

Currently 6c and falling

eskimocat wrote: »
    Hey Bill, my station doesn't always reliably show what's happening as I live down in a glen. It must have acted as a sun trap today! So I think we can safely say that its a March record.......for my backyard!

I can see clearly now, the signature restrictions are gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
    It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) :)
    Sun-Shiny day. :):):)

I think I can make it now, the rain is gone
    All of the bad feelings have disappeared
    Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin' for
    It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright) :):):)
    Sun-Shiny day. :):):):)

Look all around, there’s nothin' but blue skies :):)
    Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies :):)

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Where was the thermometer gave you the 22.3?

The screen, if both it and the AWS are properly located, shouldn't differ by more than a fraction of a degree.

Are they in different locations?

I have a screen beside my Vantage2 and they never differ by more than 0.2C in any conditions; usually identical.

The 22.3C thermometer is right above the Stevenson screen thermometer WildBill. I have it inside a butter box to protect it from the sun, painted white with a half cut opening to let the air in. I suspect it is more susceptible to warming due to the lightness of the butter box although it has a more direct hit to air than the Stevenson screen so on colder days it often gets lower reading than the screen. The Stevenson screen isn't as well ventilated as the butter box though so not 100% sure which is the most accurate, I tend to go for the screen readings when the sun is shining.

The screen I have is a replica of this
    http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/traditional/screens/russellscientific-1292k-simple

Simple Screen - 1292K :eek:

For £1.3 million I'd expect a damn good screen :D

Currently 6c and falling

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The 22.3C thermometer is right above the Stevenson screen thermometer WildBill. I have it inside a butter box to protect it from the sun, painted white with a half cut opening to let the air in. I suspect it is more susceptible to warming due to the lightness of the butter box although it has a more direct hit to air than the Stevenson screen so on colder days it often gets lower reading than the screen. The Stevenson screen isn't as well ventilated as the butter box though so not 100% sure which is the most accurate, I tend to go for the screen readings when the sun is shining.

The screen I have is a replica of this
    http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/traditional/screens/russellscientific-1292k-simple

I'd go with the screen reading on this Pangea. I think one possibility that the other thermo may have overread the temperature is sunlight reflecting (sunlight radiation) off the white top of the actual Stevenson screen and reflecting back onto the thermometer above it helping to increase the temperature reading on it. White reflects light and heat away from it while black and darker colours in general absorbs it.

Max of 20.1c here today in what was a beautiful day.

I think one possibility that the other thermo may have overread the temperature is sunlight reflecting (sunlight radiation) off the white top of the actual Stevenson screen and reflecting back onto the thermometer above it helping to increase the temperature reading on it.

Rushing in here to add that when I say "right beside" my screen is 6m away from the AWS, same elevation, exposure and anything measurable :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What a fabulous day we had on Sunday. Will we be seeing similar for a few days or is a change on the cards?

I'd go with the screen reading on this Pangea. I think one possibility that the other thermo may have overread the temperature is sunlight reflecting (sunlight radiation) off the white top of the actual Stevenson screen and reflecting back onto the thermometer above it helping to increase the temperature reading on it. .

Ohhh good thinking. Never thought of that.

Currently 4.1C here now considerably cooler than the 11C reported in Finner at 1am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A chilly start here. 2.8c atm.

Sandyford @ 07.35 (Monday)

Temperature: 4.0C (min 2.2c)
    Humidity: 92%
    Rainfall today (so far): None
    Pressure: 1035.2hPa, steady
    Wind: Calm

Wow! Ground frost - after over 20C yesterday :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Clear Skies, Temp 8.6c, Overnight low 5.4c

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Temp 7.7C
    Humd 85%
    Wind 1.7 kmh E
    Rain 0.0mm since midnight
    Pres 1033.6 hPa Steady

Beautiful start to the day in Ballyhaunis - I like this weather

http://www.carrowhawny.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Can u spot my weather station in this photo.:D

He barks when it gets wet? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Wild Bill wrote: »
    [ Wow! Ground frost - after over 20C yesterday :eek:
    We had a heavy dew, looked like frost but my min was 3°C

Current: WS
    17.3°C [sunny spot] ↑ Jump as sun hits
    Wind: F1 but nice
    Press: 1033 hPa ↑

Fantastic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry warm and sunny in Castlebar.Less Haze than yesterday.Light SE'LY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Less haze making it feel even better than yesterday here, 18.8C and rising quickly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

It's a beautiful day here in Limerick and I'm stuck inside college doing assignments... :( Will we get some temperature records broken today?

Posted this in another thread by mistake.

Amazinily dropped to frosty 0.9C here last night.
    After a max of 20.5C.
    Not often I see such variation.
    And the sky line last night was jawdropping.
    Every star was visible. Just a pity the aurora wasn't visible last night. Typical.
    19.6C here at the moment.

20.8C here at the moment. Passed yesterdays max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Touched 20.2c here from a 3.7c low last night (Enough to freeze the car over). I also agree with Pangea, the stars last night were fabulous, even kept the curtains open to view them. Wife got worried that i was looking for a bit of romance last night!!

Advertisement