Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone interested in PC building classes?

Options
  • 01-03-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm thinking of hiring a hall or night class room to host PC building classes. The idea would be that we'd discuss your budget and rig options, order the components and build it.
    The class would cover not just the assembly of the component parts but also information on how the parts work, the terminology, history etc.

I'd need about 6 people to make this work.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Will move this over to PC Building & upgrading :) . Good idea btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

That sounds like a great idea. I personally wouldn't be interested but its a great concept, I'm sure there'd be people on the forum that would love to. Where do you plan on doing it?

I'd say it'd be a bit difficult trying to lure people away from dell and the such, we're lucky here as most of the people who post already convinced themselves but it can be very difficult to persuade some very stubborn characters. My ma has a very old, crappy POC dell dimension 3000 thats about 6 years old, I showed her a cheap ubuntu build with a celeron and 64gb ssd that booted up like lightning, do you know what she said? "I can't get me emails, the stupid thing doesn't work". Turns out she couldn't find the get mail button on Thunderbird :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd be interested if you need demonstrators/helpers, etc. and the like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'd be interested if you need demonstrators/helpers, etc. and the like.

Same, I'm based in Dublin as well. I also have a few spare parts I could bring along if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

If it's in Dublin I'd come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can we drink lots of beer afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Haha, I think you have more helpers than people wanting to go.

I was thinking something similar a while back. I think there would be demand for it if people knew enough about them; maybe we should form a society and do classes at various, scheduled intervals throughout the year... the society could have other uses such as an exchange/use of spare parts... just a thought.

Komplett ran classes a few times, I think they had structured it as four in total, covering basics. Ryan, who used to hang around here a little, no longer works for komplett and is not a member (under that name) on this forum any more, but I think a few here have contact with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Horati

I think there may be a market for novice peeps to engage in this, if only for the learning experience. Perhaps this forum isn't the best vehicle to sell the idea so I may punt out a few leaflets to stick up in shops and the like. The offers of help and beers after sounds great and I may well take you up on it if this idea flies.
    I'm in south dublin by the way. I'll sound out some halls see what happens. If it does fly, I guess some of you guys in other parts of the country might try the same as I'm hoping to finance a new rig for myself from the enterprise. I'll stay in touch.
    Meanwhile, horsey fans should check out my website www.horati.com as I'd like some constructive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I think your core problem is going to be getting the word out to the right people, obviously you'll have few takers here since most people here already know enough to feel comfortable building a system. I'll try remember to pass the word on to friends who have never done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Horati wrote: »
    I'm thinking of hiring a hall or night class room to host PC building classes. The idea would be that we'd discuss your budget and rig options, order the components and build it.
    The class would cover not just the assembly of the component parts but also information on how the parts work, the terminology, history etc.

I'd need about 6 people to make this work.

Anyone interested?

Fantastic idea...

Such a pity I'm in Cork.

I'd love to do something like this.

Bummer.

For the record,how much would such a class cost??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think it would be a good idea, but as most of the lads on this forum we would be not interested in being learners ;).

Pc gaming is becoming more and more popular, but alot of console gamers are afraid of dipping in to as they have no clue what is what. So your best bed would be advertise it in gamer communities, websites, forums etc. people who are in this forum will already have knowledge about building pcs and most of the time helping out newbies with their baby steps in to pc world.

Plus, this could be very good business model as demand for such services is becoming bigger and supy is very limited.

Advertisement