Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus phone call

• 01-03-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Good Morning Folks,
    Just want to ask your opinion on something. I have just receive a phone call to my landline from a gentle with what I consider to be an Indian accent (and no, not being racist). He said that he was calling from the Microsoft Technical Dept and that they were receiving error messages from my computer. He wanted me to log on and he would try and fix them for me. Have vague memories of this being some sort of scan. Just want to throw it out there to see if any of you have come across it or could it be genuine. Makes it more awkward for me is that I have just within the last two weeks purchased a new laptop and have just installed office 2010 on it. Dont know how he got the landline number either.
    Any comments gratefully accepted. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I hope ya didn't go along with what they wanted. This is a well known scam, they get you to give them access to your machine over the net, install some bad stuff then charge you to remove them.

Don't know how they get phone numbers, phone book maby. I kept them on the phone for 45 mins one day then told them I had a Linux system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I got one of these last year.

I started laughing at him and said "OMG you must thing I am stupid to fall for this" and he replied like a 2 year old "No it is you who is stupid" and then hung up!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

This was going around last year, I remember someone telling me that they told the man they didn't have a computer then he shouted down the phone saying ''You liar you do have a computer'' :pac:

These people will try anything to scam people out of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just say you have a mac.

And BTW, it's not even remotely racist to say someone "has an Indian accent". The whole bloody place is scared witless in case what they say is taken out of context.

If someone has an Indian accent, they have an Indian accent. End of.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

rebno1 wrote: »
    He wanted me to log on and he would try and fix them for me.
    Meet other people who got the same call @ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

If they call again, try to waste as much of their time as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

My wife keeps a whistle beside the phone for these. She's had to use it a couple of times and has been plagued a little less since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Security

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rebno1

Thanks folks. Glad I was that suspscious!!.
    I had him told to call back this evening as I was too busy this morning. Did not hear anything as yet.
    I agree with you that the whole bloody place is gone too PC. But if I had said Scottish, Cork or NI accent there would not be a bit of remarks passed. Just wanted to head off any comments!!
    Soarer wrote: »
    Just say you have a mac.

And BTW, it's not even remotely racist to say someone "has an Indian accent". The whole bloody place is scared witless in case what they say is taken out of context.

If someone has an Indian accent, they have an Indian accent. End of.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 43 e17

got several calls today from the indian guy from microsoft. wasted a good bit of his time while i looked for keys on the keyboard couldn't find the ctrl key. lol then asked for his name a number so i could report him to the regulator he hung up. caller id showed 00244299

Advertisement