Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornady .17 Hornet bullets.

Options
  • 01-03-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everone has anyone any information about the new .17 hornet Hornady bullet that has been made and if so has there been any news on a rifle to fire them. .It seems Savage are the only ones who have a rifle to fire them so far .
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

As far as I know it was suppose to be available mid February of this year. That was in the U.S though so god only knows when it will be available over here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Seems to be more expensive than the 223.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikeyboy65

Hi lads thanks for the reply but going by this months Sporting Rifle they are supposed to be cheeper than a .223 that is the ammo , and Edgar Brothers to be bringing them into the UK shortly . The rifles I dont know about . Seems Savage are the only outfit making them at the moment in USA. Keep me posted if anyone of you hear any thing . I finding the .223 wit dound moderator and big scope a bit hard on the shoulder with pains
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Looking foward to seeing this rifle comming into ireland. Ive read up a little on it and think its gunna be an ideal for anywhere out to 200yards or more for mr fox, well for me anyways :). just av to wait a year or maybe more before we see it here :( .

Im really itching to make another purchase by the end of this year.. I hope the new .17 hornet becomes available otherwise Im just going to go for a .223 or .204, havent decided yet. Was very tempte to buy a .17rem until I asked my dealer about the price of bullets :eek:

Hopefully the .17hornet will get here soon and even if it gets into the UK theres bound to be a good few reviews in the magazines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 visiter1

Im picking up my custum built .17 hornet next week i cant wait to shoot it ,

ill post what its like to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

its $25 for a box of 25 .17 Hornet rounds. Ballistic tip and all and hornady is a very good round. Think Savage has 5 different types of .17 hornet rifles to choose from.you will pop rabbits off at 300 yards at ease with one. Top class round and i would agree it would deliver more than enough energy to kill a fox at 200yards

Was in my local rfd yesterday buying a few boxes of ammo and asked him "what do you think of this new .17 hornet?". The man knows his stuff but he hadnt a clue there was such a calibre :confused: I told him it was only after coming out in the States. Has anyone seen it here yet?

yep i have bullets i am just waiting on my rifle ur welcome to come and shoot it if ur intrested i think its goig to be a big hit here because its good and fox and rabbits at range.

visiter1 wrote: »
    yep i have bullets i am just waiting on my rifle ur welcome to come and shoot it if ur intrested i think its goig to be a big hit here because its good and fox and rabbits at range.

Where did you buy the bullets from? who did the custom work on the rifle?

• Advertisement

i am lucky enough to have a friend in the north who loaded them for me !! i just had to import them its a pity only a few can load in this country yet!!!!

Irish custom rifles is building i fr me cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

i am lucky enough to have a friend in the north who loaded them for me !! i just had to import them its a pity only a few can load in this country yet!!!!

do you use .22 hornet brass or must you buy it already necked down? i only ask as i have about about two or three hundred used hornet cartridges sitting in a box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Seen your reamer last week, he's looking forward to building it!
    cushcam wrote: »
    do you use .22 hornet brass or must you buy it already necked down? i only ask as i have about about two or three hundred used hornet cartridges sitting in a box

You can buy 17Hornet brass at very little money. This is the route I would go...

I have a pile off hornet brass at the min so im going to try it firs if not ill have to get some from america,

Hes a sound man fergal cant wait for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

.17 Hornet was tested by shooting sports, should be in next months issue.

The one and only rifle in the UK has been imported by Edgar Brothers (Savage 25)
    Dies and heads are in already...

thanks for that ll look out for it>

Advertisement