Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry Madeira Receipe

Options
  • 01-03-2012 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone can recommend a good madeira receipe? I have been asked to make a strawberry madeira cake for my niece. Would I better going with a plain madeira and strawberry buttercream or is there a receipe for strawberry madeira? I am thinking a strawberry madeira would be nice and moist if I can get a good receipe.

(First post on boards :eek:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Welcome to boards mandymoomoo! I find the odlums Madeira recipe great.

As for the strawberries, I'd be inclined to fill it with fresh strawberries and some buttercream over baking the strawbs in. I find baked strawbs loose their fresh taste. Alternatively you could bake it as is, get a punnet of fresh strawbs, and about two cups of icing sugar and blend the two in a food processor. It creates a lovely drizzle icing with an intense strawberry flavour that you simply pour over the cake. It will harden a little and be bright pink. Tis a favourite quickie icing of mine for cakes and cupcakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mandymoomoo

Thank you :D

So would I make one cake and cut it or bake each layer seperately? I might just mix the pureed strawberries through the buttercream and then cover in fondant? Maybe even make up some of the strawberries/sugar and use as a jam on either side of buttercream?

I need to bake it this evening for Saturday, will that be ok?

Thanks so much.

Just one more question eviledna if you dont mind. Do I have to use margarine or would the block butter be ok? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Just one more question eviledna if you dont mind. Do I have to use margarine or would the block butter be ok? Thank you.

Block butter will be fine, better flavour than marg. Let it soften first.

Baking a madiera today for Saturday will be fine. It keeps fresh better than victoria sponge. Just wrap it in tinfoil and do the icing, decorating on Saturday,

huskerdu wrote: »
    Block butter will be fine, better flavour than marg. Let it soften first.

Baking a madiera today for Saturday will be fine. It keeps fresh better than victoria sponge. Just wrap it in tinfoil and do the icing, decorating on Saturday,

Thanks, I will be baking tonight and decorating Friday after work as I have to travels 2 hours to get home and couldnt be bothered bringing stuff to do icing in my mams.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yep as Edna said don't bake strawberries into, they are almost always used fresh as baking them destroys them because they have a high water content and turn to mush.

Thank you all so much, the cake turned out fab. Had cake scraps for breakfast :D

Advertisement