Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ or Small Cheap Band

Options
  • 01-03-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Hello

Woudl anyone know of any good DJ around Cork, or even a one man band kinda thing. I am looking for someone to play at my mum and her sisters 60th birthday. They would need a bit of everything oldies and Irish to do the odd set or waltz, plus more Elvis and all that too. Plus have a sense of humor...

Was recommended to go see ones playing around the place but havent heard of any on for this weekend.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

DJ's can be fairly lifeless,

I know of an act who would pretty much fit the description, I'll PM you a name and number

I'm not certain if their still gigging, but it's worth giving him a ring to find out
    as he's well used to people ringing them up for bookings

They're both in their 50's and have been gigging together for I'd say for the last 20 years

Very professional, they have their own PA system, mics and a drum machine for the likes of waltz set

I know one of them very well and they do interact a good bit with the audience

Not sure about Elvis songs, but I remember they used to do the likes of Tom Petty and mix in some well known Irish songs too

Probably cheaper than going through the likes of showcase, or the other crowd who cater more to weddings and would be taking a cut of the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

DJ's can very lifeless? plesae explain that one???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I think you need to explain, tbh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Standing behind a laptop lining up the next song sounds lifeless to me

The 3 xmas parties I went to with an ex they might as well have had a cd player hooked up to the PA.
    Different venue and Dj each year but I can't remember any interaction between DJ and audience like you 'd get with musicians,
    apart from them telling us 'this is the last song'

There's no comparison between live musicians to someone messing around on a laptop looking like they're waiting for a bus to arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Send Owen a pm. He is in a band called Suckerpunch and they are really good. I seen a few videos of them on there website..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Sorry as someone was played in numerous bands orchestras and has done over 350 gigs as a DJ i can tell you I have come across my fair share of musicians who cant or wont interact with an audience to say this only applies to DJs is unfair,

A competent DJ will be able to have a wider setlist and be able to cater for a diverse crowd(majority of gigs mobile Djs do in this country) so think DJs have some life in them afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Send Owen a pm. He is in a band called Suckerpunch and they are really good. I seen a few videos of them on there website..

Thanks Mal, we'd probably give the older dears a few heart attacks :D

Have a look on Facebook for a guy called 'Nick of Time', his avatar there is a white star on a black background. One man show, but can be 2 man. Does a cracking gig, lots of chart stuff along with the old favourites, former frontman of my old band which were fairly big in Cork, and was in one of Munster's busiest boy bands for years back in the day too. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Checker feaker old timers...You take that back shame on thee haha we arent looking to fresh ourselves on the auld you tube... :D haha only messing I know of the band alrite but yep twudnt really suit...

Thank Flesh Gorden to I got you Pm I shall give them a bell later and see what the low down is.. There is one other chap i thought of there I only hear him once but he seemed good enough was a DJ who plays in Cantys is it Midleton I shall have to ring them to find out who he is...

No fighting DJ's :)

Advertisement