Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of installing a stove

• 01-03-2012 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

As the title says were looking to get a wood burning stove installed,with the cost of oil I think it makes sense for our house.
    I'm not looking to link it to the back boiler just a medium size stove say for around 500 and a flu,what would be a rough estimate to install this.
    Has anyone got a woodburning stove as I would be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah if you have access to wood cheap then it does make sense in a smallish house.
    To install yourself or to have a professional do it?

There's a thread here that might help.
    Another here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We have a Riva stove in our sitting room, which we bought in Murphys in Kinvara.

Make sure that you get it fitted by a professional; the person who fitted ours chanced his arm and caused some chimney problems because he didn't support the chimney right. We also got cracks in the plaster around it. We had to get it taken out and refitted, and find that it now works much better and we have had no more problems.

When we got ours we didn't get the chimney lined, but we got it done when we were getting it refitted. AFAIK, the manufacturers are now recommending lining the chimney.

My parents also have a stove which is slightly bigger (I can't remember the make), but they also have a bigger room to heat. It was also supplied by Murphys.

I think that Murphys now have their own fitter, but the guy we used and recommend (the guy who refitted ours to solve the problems) is Martin Murphy (no relation to the suppliers) based in Derreen. 093/49032 or 086/8167486. We found him excellent, and he left the place clean after himself each evening.

Website here: http://www.chimney-repairs.com/contact_us.html#

Different stoves have different heat outputs, so bring the dimensions of the room with you when looking for a stove. There is fantastic heat out of them, but too big a stove/too much heat can make the room very uncomfortable! If possible, talk to Martin before you buy.

Advertisement