Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Daff question

Options
  • 01-03-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

2 years ago I plant about 20-25 kilos of daff's around the garden. Last year they all came up lovely which surprised me as a few were showing before the snow landed. However this year I'd guess that 90% of them have come up blind!!!!

Would this be a once off or are they likely to be blind from now on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

How did you deal with them once the flowers died off them last year?
    If you cut/clipped them too early, may be the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

How did you deal with them once the flowers died off them last year?
    If you cut/clipped them too early, may be the cause

No I often heard that you wait till they are completely dead on the head before you cut them. And they were well gone. The thing is some are planted in the lawn and others in a flower bed. I never cut/clipped the one in the flower bed untill they had completely collapsed on the flower bed and eventually just cut the others with the lawn mower. But both sections are coming up blind though

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ne touche pas

Sounds like you planted these in clusters which now means that you should separate them this year at end of season;if they weren't planted in clusters you should make sure to throw down some compost in august as soil needs nutrients to feed the bulbs:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I know it can be very confusing when one sees the many different compost sizes and mixes, but in fact most of them are of limited value and some none at all as a feed for plants. Yes some come with added nutrients, but gardeners would be better to use compost as a soil improver to be added to soil and not as a soil replacement etc

Apart from an accidental spray (overspray) of a general fertiliser I would not apply any feed to areas containing spring flowering bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have only ever put daffs into ordinary soil, and let them get on with it. Let them die back before cutting off the tops. I have always found they will grow happily and increase for several years, by which time they have been accidentally dug up or disturbed and need some replacements.

If you didn't take the tops off too early, and they were planted deep enough, it may be they have/had some sort of virus or were just a poor quality batch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement